1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has my Sky box packed up?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by cessquill, Nov 5, 2003.

1. cessquill

cessquill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    All of a sudden my Sky box has started rebooting. Today's count was about five. At first the picture starts glitching, then the old "Further Schedule information is not available", then a reset.

Is my box on its way out, or does anybody know whether there's been a dodgy software release..?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    A couple of people have reported some software hiccups tonight and my SKY+ was searching for listings around 1.30am. My other digibox was tuned to 998 when I checked to see if it was doing the same thing.

I think it's safe to say their was some external influence at work, not a OS update but maybe a EPG listings update/channel relocation perhaps.

3. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    My Sky+ did this too, lost listings yesterday about 5pm. Every time I turned it on, it was on 998. Seems OK now.

I wouldn't worry.

4. dml

dml

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It would probably be too much to expect $ky to inform customers when it is doing things like this wouldn't it?

5. cessquill

cessquill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ...or to have a stable system by now...

Still, if it's nothing to worry about I'll just chalk it up to the devolution of technical quality. I seem to spend most of my time waiting for things to reset these days. When is it my turn?

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Did you have problems then?

What makes you think that this was happening on all the 7.5million SKY digiboxes and why do you assume it was the result of a SKY procedure?
    Yes it's possible since it's common practice for SKY to update digiboxes overnight but then again there has been solar activity which does effect satellite transmissions which are unpredictable
    and can come and go in seconds.
    Don't forget SKY are not in control or do they monitor the majority of channels on the SKY platfrom, each broadcaster is responsible for their own uplinking etc.

7. Ronak-T

Ronak-T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was watching a programme last night that I had recorded off BBC1 on my Sky + box, and it too re-booted itself 4-5 times in the space of 15 minutes. I called Sky and was eventually told that it was the BBC's fault!

Apparently, the BBC have changed the way they broadcast their signal, and the SKY + boxes sometimes (but not always!) have problems when recording it. Something to do with compression/bit rate according to the guy I spoke to at Sky.

Anyway, I then tried to view a programme I recorded off Sky SPorts, and all was fine! So the BBC thing may not be a complete load of tosh after all.

Seems strange though that several of us had problems last night (5th Nov). My SKY + box has only ever re-booted itself on 1-2 ocassions in the last month other than last night.

8. cessquill

cessquill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Mine was on no specific channel (Bravo, Paramount, Kiss, BBC), but it did mainly happen when I was browsing. I perhaps didn't make it clear - mine is a standard Sky box (not plus), so any issues with recording perhaps wouldn't apply to me.

It's done it a couple of times since. How do you force a software download again? Was it Backup+power on?

9. Stanley_Cooper

Stanley_Cooper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This is currently happening with my sky box. I have switched it off from the power, switched back on and it still happens. I would say it has been rebooting itself for about half an hour, every few minutes.

Is anyone else getting this problem?:mad:

Stan..

10. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I've been having probs with recordings of BBC channels. I watched Film2003 last night live and it was fine but when my wife was watching the recording tonight it was glitching all over the place. :(

11. Ronak-T

Ronak-T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I ahve a sky engineer due to come today to fix/replace by Sky+ box so I'll let you know what happens.