1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has my Samsung SP50L7HX died on me after only 5 months!!!!!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Salty Seadog, May 7, 2005.

1. Salty Seadog

Salty Seadog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got in from work tonight and attempted to switch on my beloved Sammy SP50L7HX and found to my absolute horror that it isn’t working (just keeps switching itself on and off and smiling at me). I’ve tried to switching off at the mains for an hour and even plugging it into an alternative electrical socket but it’s still acting like its possessed or something. There’s no reference to this particular fault in the troubleshooting segment of the manual and I’ve only had for less than 5 months(!!). Anyone got any ideas as to what could be causing the fault and how to rectify it ?. It will break my heart to send it back as picture quality is/was amazing with the HD945 via HDMI but if this is the reliability that I can expect from such an expensive piece of kit (was £2800 when I got it) then I may not have a choice in the matter.

Check out the picture below showing much happier times in our household :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

2. Salty Seadog

Salty Seadog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just tried again after having it unplugged from the mains for a couple of hours and I’m still being greeted by a smiling face that blinks at me a few times before the picture coming on for about a second and then the whole set switching off (this happens repeatedly). Does anyone know how to switch the set back to factory settings as I wonder if this may help (a long shot I know).

It’s all doom and gloom in our house at the moment with nothing to sit and watch so I’m going for the sympathy vote here in the hope that some kind soul out there can help (check out the attached picture)

Attached Files:

3. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lol, too bad you can see your kid smiling just a bit ;)

Anyway, why bother with this, just go back with it to the shop, and demand a new one, haven't seen any comments like this before about this tv so you're just unlucky i guess

4. Salty Seadog

Salty Seadog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The set was purchased from unbeatable.com and I’ve been waiting for almost 5 months now for a replacement set from them due to screen smear/smudge issue. Anyhow I’m going to contact them first thing tomorrow (Monday) with the unfortunate news that the TV has died altogether. So fingers crossed that they actually get their arse into gear to get the matter rectified.

5. timkay

timkay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe denace the menace has been swinging on the poor old sammy sp50 too much!!

If and when i have kids i wouldnt let them near such a beautiful bit of kit!! But im sure you'll be covered in the 12 months warranty, unbeatable will probably forward you to Samsung, who should either arrange a replacement or a straight swap, but these things always turn out to be quite complicated. The more irate you are the better.

The scary thing is that I am about to purchase this tv, and if this happened in the 13th month you'd be pretty shafted.

6. Salty Seadog

Salty Seadog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    unbeatable.com passed me onto SAMSUNG customer service who then passed me onto a local repair team who in turn told me that they don’t repair DLP TV’s and passed me back onto SAMSUNG who then in turn told me that the local repair team should be able to repair a DLP TV???

At the end of the day all I got to show for nearly £3K is a massive gorgeous looking TV set that just keeps switching itself on and off and blinking at me (the little smiley face on the control dash).

:thumbsdow :thumbsdow

7. Salty Seadog

Salty Seadog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I mentioned earlier I’ve now been waiting 5 months for unbeatable.com to replace this set due to the dreaded screen smear/smudge issue. They say that they haven’t been able to obtain any stock in order to send out a replacement set to me (which seems an awful long wait in my opinion) can any members of the forum please confirm by posting on this thread if they have received a 502 SAMSUNG DLP TV from unbeatable.com during the last 5 months and if so when was it ordered and how long were you on the waiting list ?

Thank you all in advance for any help

8. croozer

croozer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    your beef is with unbeatable not with samsung.check with your local trading standards office.there are only 2 answers,replacement or money back.at the price you paid and the time that you have had the set repair is not an option that you should consider.once you accept a repair half your consumer rights go out of the window.i recieved my sammy end of may 5 weeks from order date.

9. hiewyj

hiewyj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I ordered one (Samsung SP50L7) from unbeatable in early March and cancelled it today (13th May) because its still not arrived!

10. Salty Seadog

Salty Seadog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thanx for taking the time to post but I’m afraid that it didn't help the situation and my TV is still possessed by the anti-Christ. SAMSUNG now acknowledge the fact that the local repair centre contracted to them does not repair DLP TV’s(!!!) and say that the matter has gone to head office who will contact me regarding an alternative course of action before the end of business hours this coming Monday. I also confronted unbeatable.com about my promised replacement set and asked them if they could honestly justify a 5 month wait. The reply I got (and this is word for word……

“We did manage to get you a replacement set in at one stage but someone upstairs must have sold it”

I kid you not Folks!!! :D

11. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I feel for you seadog, sometimes you got kicked when your down ey. buy good luck with claiming from unbeatable. I'd send a complaint to their head office sayin how youve been treated.

Infact, i think what you should do is claim a refund for 3.5k as you have been waiting so long, just ask them to pick up the knackered set.

THEN.....................

BUY 2 SAMMYS FROM PIXMANIA 1 for DENACE THE MENACE! and 1 for you!! You wait for that smile!

12. Salty Seadog

Salty Seadog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well this whole thing seems to have been going on forever now so just thought I’d post the latest on my unfortunate circumstances……

After weeks of being given the run-around by SAMSUNG they finally admitted to me that they cannot get anyone out to me in my area (the West Midlands) with any knowledge on how to repair this TV(!!). Every day for the last month or so now when me or the Mrs phoned them we got the same blanket response that “the matter was being addressed by head office and that someone would definitely phone me regarding the matter before the end of business hours that day”. Well in the end they were just lying to my face as no one ever phoned and we just ended up phoning back the next day and chasing our tales again. In fact in the end I just had enough and refused to get off the phone until the matter was dealt with. SAMSUNG were a total waste of time and I pity anyone who has to deal with them if (God forbid) their new DLP TV develops a fault.

UNBEATABLE have been unable to provide me with a replacement set now for 6/7 months and have promised me that someone will finally be coming to collect the TV around noon tomorrow (June 1st). Now lets see if they deliver on their promise and refund me my £3200+

I must be absolutely Bonkers but I just can’t see myself purchasing any other TV as this one was head and shoulders above anything else that’s on the market (when it’s working). Needless to say I’m thinking of pocketing over £1200(!!) and getting an identical TV from COSTCO who have them in stock for less than £2000 and claim to offer a 5 year no quibble warranty (everything except the bulb I would imagine). In fact they say that as long as you’re a member they will give you a full refund on your purchase should you be unhappy with it (surely this can’t be true?). Anyhow I got my COSTCO membership card in my sweaty little mitts now ;)

13. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes seal saltydog, the sickness in your stomach may well be eased with the predicament of the sickness received from almost 50% residual value of your dlp in current times. I would definately go with costco's offer, the guarantee seems flawless. The new panasonic viera pv500 is a strong contender with its hdmi compatability (i.e. future proof). I would definately consider pocketing the refund and waiting for the whole hd screen releases to die down a bit, as it seems that we're seeing less of a return on our screens to a brand new car. do remember that with the once invested 3200 you could fork out on the hd4 hd chip sp56 with pedastal due in the next weeks/months.

14. Salty Seadog

Salty Seadog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the delivery Guy (and I mean Guy, they sent just one chap to collect this 50” colossal TV unit) turned up 4 hours late in a racked off antique transit with no pallet, pallet truck or even packaging for that matter (!!). I had to help him out of the house with the TV (luckily I had booked the day off work) which he then managed to throw into the back of the transit (with the help of some kids in the street). My heart sank as I watched them drop it twice before they finally wrestled it into the back of the transit. I went and had a nose before he sped away and saw the unit in there propped against the side of the interior of the van (unsupported) with no protective packaging what so ever. I tell you now that there’s no way that TV made it back to it’s destination in one piece. The Mrs made the collection Guy sign a scrap of paper to say that the TV unit left the premises in pristine as new condition but I’d bet the £3k I paid (if I haven’t already) that it didn’t get back that way. I’m now waiting for the refunded balance to show up on my account (pretty nerve racking).

The farcical finale to what can only be described as a hellish nightmare experience with both UNBEATABLE and SAMSUNG really was the cherry on top of the icing on top of the cake (lol)

Just out of interest where do I stand legally if UNBEATABLE refuse to refund me on the grounds of the TV being returned in less than perfect condition (now that would be the straw that……)

15. Lion

Lion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    you did the right thing getting the guy to sign saying that the set was in perfect condition when collected, that should cover you with unbeatable if it arrived f***ed.
    I had a refund on a toshiba 52wh36 set last year and the guys that collected it tried to use it's castors to push it over a broken slabbed pavement all the way to their van !
    later I found two of the castors lying on the path attatched to pieces of chipboard ripped out of the base of the set :eek:
    I emailed the suppliers straight away to complain about the guys treatment of the set but the reply from my supplier was that they could confirm they had received the set back and to throw the castors away !!!

16. Blondie

Blondie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not an LG in disguise is it, on, off, on, off?????????????? bloody TV's the basic thing they should all do from ? £20 to £20,000 is turn ON!!!!!!!!!!! :lesson:

17. louishm

louishm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Hi Salty..
    I Have Been Reading Your Posts Regarding The Sp50 (what A Set) I Bought Mine From Currys The Month They Came Out And Paid £3500 (cough Cough) For It, Registered It With Samsung The Day It Arrived In Case Any Problems Arose Like Yours..they Even Sent Me The Box Set Of Lotr For Registering It...
    Any Way 3 Months Into Me Playing With This Baby I Got Up One Morning Turned The Set On And nothing Just A Smiley Face...i Tried Everything You Did And Then Eventually Got On The Phone To Samsung I Didn't Even Bother With Currys. Samsung Were Excellent I Gave Them The Serial Number And They New Exactly Who I Was. They Went Through All The Basics Whilst On The Phone And After 1/2 Hour Of Turning On Turning Off Etc The Tech Guy Asked Me To Check The Fan Vent On The Back Of The Set (situated About Half Way Down The Stand). The Vent Was Blocked With Dust. He Then Advised Me To Get The Hoover Put The Attacments On It And Suck All The Dust Out..
    To My Surprise The Telly Came On Straight Away...
    I Check The Vent Every Month Now And Give It A Quick Hoovering. Just Beware Of This Problem If You Manage To Get Yourself Another One

18. Salty Seadog

Salty Seadog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If only I had known this I would have given it a go as sounds a pretty similar problem to the one I was experiencing however SAMSUNG didn’t give me any advise at all and couldn’t get any out to me who was qualified to look at the set. I’ve now had my refund from UNBEATABLE and am in 2 minds whether or not to get them same set again from COSTCO with the 5 year warrantee and pocket the £1000 chunk of change and maybe sell the LORD OF THE RINGS boxset I got for registereing on ebay ;)

Has anyone purchased this or any other DLP set from COSTCO and is their 5 year no quibble money back warrantee really just that ?

19. louishm

louishm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I Have Bought Plenty Of Electrical Goods From Costco And The Warranty Is As Stated, But Be Careful Sometimes They Require All The Original Packaging Back But Apart From That Its A Good Warranty As You Mentioned Earlier The Lamp Wont Be Covered.. But Yeah You Just Take The Item Back To The Customer Desk And They Give You Your Cash Back... Glad You Got Your Refund

20. Bacus

Bacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,297
    I got my sp50 from Jonh Lewis (reading) They will price match costco !! as another member on here has now found out. Jonh Lewis will also give you 5 years on there tv's.Also i managed to get a letter of them stating that they will cover the bulb for the 5 years !! This letter is worth its weight in gold,so if you go down this path then try and get the letter for the bulb and frame it. :D That way hopefully they will have to honner it at a later date :rotfl:

21. Facct

Facct
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you get interest free credit at costco/john lewis? I'm currently considering buying this TV, but the only way I can afford it is on interest free credit. The thought of a getting less than 5-10 years out of a £2000 TV is quite frankly, scary. :eek:

EDIT: What's scarier, is that before deciding not to rush in, and googling this site a few days ago, I was planning to buy the set from unbeatable in their 'open box' sale - they have 1 available, which was a customer return. I wonder....? :rolleyes:

http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_28240.html

22. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    "to get them same set again from COSTCO with the 5 year warrantee "
    I think its a 3 year job with Costco (6 months for PCs)

"Can you get interest free credit at costco"
    I would think not .

23. BLZB0B

BLZB0B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered the SP50 from Unbeatable at the beginning of may and am still waiting.. They are citing "Contractual Issues" with Samsung as the delay..

I've given them another 2 weeks to come up with the goods (in return for refunding the Delivery charges of about £90)

Does anyone know the exact Costco price at the moment? If JL will match them, I might be at the Trafford Store in 2 weeks :)
    BLZB0B

24. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    "Does anyone know the exact Costco price at the moment?"
    Middle of last week it was a few squids under 2000 - can't recal thre xact number but it is quoted in the fora somewhere.
    good luck on the price match

25. Salty Seadog

Salty Seadog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £1998

Don't laugh at me but I just ordered this to tide me over until September…..

http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_26047.html

The reason being I’ve decided to take the family on Holiday with my refunded cash and budgeted that I’ll have enough spare cash around September to pay for another 50” SAMSUNG DLP (may even have more than enough if the price keeps dropping). Then the middle lad gets the SONY LCD for his bedroom (youngest already got a SHARP AQUOS LCD) to replace the monstrous TOSHIBA 28” CRT. I have to admit though that I still lay awake at night dreaming of my beloved (but not forgotten) SAMMY SP50L7HX.

26. BLZB0B

BLZB0B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    saw this on another thread... Empire are knocking the SP50 out at £1824.04 inc vat -

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/html/SAM-SP50L7HX.htm

another price match at Unbeatable (who are very beatable atm) coming up soon maybe me thinks... :D or bin them and go to JL - would prefer the 9months interest free credit though..

Arrgh - why is buying a TV mail order so complicated?

[Thanks for the price btw]

27. lurcho

lurcho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  28. Salty Seadog

Salty Seadog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It stands a very good chance and unbeatable are very lucky that it arrived back to them with only superficial cosmetic damage :suicide:

29. MAD ANDY

MAD ANDY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    surely it cant be? as it specifically states that its never been used yet if I read correctly you had yours for months?

Can I ask if you noticed the rainbow effect? and how was it with Sky Digital?

cheers

30. Salty Seadog

Salty Seadog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not saying that it is mine that they are selling on Ebay Matey

Yes i did see Rainbows but then i have a problem with my cornea's

Not got SKY i'm ashamed to say but Freeview (Nokia) via a a good quality RGB scart (Thor) was excellent...........in fact better (by far) than the 23" Sony LCD that it's hooked up to now.