1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has my plasma bit the dust?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by digitalboy, Oct 19, 2004.

1. digitalboy

digitalboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was enjoying watching the Sopranos last night on my Philips 42PF9952 , and all of a sudden there was a sharp rise in green colours on the screen and it went in standby.
    I switched off both units , the plasma and the receiver and then tried to get the plasma back up and running.Worryingly though the plasma just kicks into standby after a second or two, with a flahing red light. ^^;

Now the obvious thing would be to get the local Philips service centre to look at the monitor.Although for a now poor student ,£408 in couriers fees+ diagnoses is a little out of my league.And thats even before parts and labour apparently.

I guess my question is if anyone has any advice on what might have went in the plasma, and would it be best just to claim off my insurance.
    Thanks in advance.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    £408 quid are you mad????? Panny charge £100ish for that.... i would try giving TADL a Call see if they willquote for an inspection....... Also how old is it? as some large manufacturers were sued a few years back for 32/36 WS sets being knackered after 18 months and IIRC the judge ruled that an item costing £1000+ should last longer than 18 months..... regardless of what warranty implied.

3. digitalboy

digitalboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It around 2 years old, and was bought used.So I guess I dont really have a leg to stand on were warranty/guarantee is concerned.

I visited the Philips consumer site and got the number of an offical service dealer in my area.
    Give him a phone and asked if he service that model,in which he replied yes.
    I ask where he was located and he said he would get couriers to come and pick it up etc.
    Must admit the quote knocked me back too,he didnt even ask where I was to quote the courier fees etc.

4. digitalboy

digitalboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, phoned them to re-affirm the quote. <Philips service center>

It was actually £411.85 ,out of warranty price. ( 08702406494) .This price was for their couriers to pick the plasma up and take it to their center for inspection.

totally agree a ridiculous price, a quarter of what the plasma cost me.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Phone TADL and see if they can do it for you (and ring a few other Phillips repair centres)