1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has my kef kht2005.2 speaker blown?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by iceblade, Aug 19, 2003.

1. iceblade

iceblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, im running the entire speaker & sub package on the pioneer vsx-d2011 receiver, i had the channel level on each speaker at 2.00dBs i was playing Halo on the xbox and had the volume on the receiver at max +12 and as soon as the start up screen came on and the sound was on, the front left speaker had this black smoke rising up from the middle of it through the grill, i quickly turned the receiver off , let it cool down and turned the channel level on all speakers back to 0dBs and now when i run sound through the system the speaker that smoked has this crackling noise to it and doesnt go away only gets louder or quieter depending on the volume i have the receiver at.
    Have i set the channel level too high and blew it? and if so have i damaged the other speakers even though they didnt smoke or have any crackling noises to them?
    Should i just leave the channel level at 0db's? as you can see i am new to all of this :(
    The channel level is the one that is in the menu with channel delay etc.
    All of the speakers were set to 0dBs even after the MCACC test i ran , i thought they sounded a little quiet so turned the channel level up im guessing i probably shouldnt have done that.

Oh i was running the sound in Dolby Digital surround ex mode from the xbox when this happened.
    what should i do?
    Thanks

2. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Full power with video game......
    Were they set up as "small"?

3. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Smoke + Speaker = FUBAR!

Err, did I read your post right? You had the 2011 volume set to MAX??

I think you were lucky not to screw all your speakers (and your ears)

Big A

4. iceblade

iceblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there , yup i had all the speakers set to small i am 100% sure of this as in the mcacc test it had all speakers listed as small and surround back smallx2. Where would i check this on the receiver to make sure nothing has been changed? and if i change the sound setting between dolby digi and dolby digi 2 etc does it keep the same settings for each that the mcacc set up on the first test run?

Big Adam yes i had the volume set to +12 and it definately was not really loud , the volume im talking about is the volume you increase & decrease by pressing the + and - keys on the remote or by using the volume dial on the box itself :)
    not channel level if thats what you mean?
    I do not understand what the channel level means i had that set to 2.0dBs for all the speakers the Kef manuals are a pile of **** and dont give any advice on what to set channel level, channel delay and the actual volume to have for watching sky digi, dvd's and console games, can anyone shed any light?
    thanks

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    It's not Kef's fault as it would impossible to suggest channel levels, delays etc as everyone has different setups, rooms etc.

Once the Pioneer has run it's Auto Calibration routine it should just be a matter of having to turn the volume up or down to hear things to your taste and maybe tweaking the channel levels a few db. If you had to have it at MAX volume then something somewhere isn't connected/working properly or you're deaf and need to get your ears looked at.;)

6. iceblade

iceblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well ill check all connections again and make sure that all the appropriate settings are selected, thing is i had it on max on 0.0dBs and it was excellent apart from being a little mild, haha and no i aint deaf im just used to really loud sound having a 400w sub and speaker package connected to my PC ... playing Unreal tourny, raving shield and the likes is a complete dream :p

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Definitely blown......these poor little things really arent designed for that sort of treatment,and as Adam said,you're lucky they aren't all gone.....at least replacing the drive units shouldn't be too expensive!

8. Fulham Phil

Fulham Phil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is one of the funniest threads I've read in months. "Dear All, if I turn the volume on my big momma amp all the way up and then play a source through it, will it hurt my speakers if I let the amp pump until the speakers burst into flames?"

For your next trick - have you tried revving your car at max with the clutch in and then just dumping the clutch out really quickly?

You've got to be thankful that you can buy the Eggs in singles. I have the same set-up and have NEVER gone above -5 db volume. Even at -20, most films are still pretty loud. I can't imagine how loud +12 would be!!!!!!!

Do you work in the demolition, mining or road breaking industry?

9. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Phil - that was very nice :D

10. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    I think this highlights the difference between a 400 watt bull5hit power computer sub and RMS watt powered av gear. I have 2 subs in my car powered by about 100 watts RMS and they are deafening. What is the power rating on eggs?

11. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    100W

12. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Max o/p of the pioneer is 120watt isn't it?
    Ouch !

13. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    7x 100W if I'm not mistaken..............but not good (for the eggs) whichever way you cut it! :eek:

14. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Adam, is max volume (safe) 0db or a positive figure?

15. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Not sure mate. Going to collect my 2011 next month. Sure someone else round here could tell you.

What I find odd about iceblade's original post was that he claims everything was set to max but it was not loud.

With 7x 100w on tap, I'd be wearing my best brown trousers with a couple of pillows strapped to each side of my head before I attempted pressing the 'play' button in this configuration!

Which suggests to me (if all connections were secure) that either the receiver or the speakers were already kaput!

Big A

16. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    I agree. My old vsx-d710 was 500watt and at 0db one of my closest mates left the room during pod racing. He said his head felt like it would explode. I was not next to any speakers like him and it still hurt.:suicide:

17. Fulham Phil

Fulham Phil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The booklet says 7X100, and I assume that's at max volume, rather than 0 db. In any case, whether it's at +12 or -12, you should always start low and build up, not just assume every source is going to be the same. I play DVDs at about 10db higher than TV and the output volume is identical. If the volume is surging you have an amp problem - even if this is the case you may struggle to get them to supply a new egg to replace the bust one coz they'll likely argue it's consequential loss, which they'll not want to be reponsible for.

I agree on the volume issue. At 0db watching movies, I could sit three houses away and still hear the audio. I'd go back and check all of the cabling as (if you read the earlier thread posted by iceblade) there was some confusion over system set up.

One thought - you're not using knicker elastic as speaker cable are you?

18. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    She not he :rolleyes:

19. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Apologies to iceblade.

Into Xbox and Unreal Tourny........I just assumed! :p

20. iceblade

iceblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heh yah i understand, im actually using techlink 79 strand high def speaker cables and they are all set up fine :p i only have the 5.1 setup not 7x100 im just getting a little confused about what channel levels to set the speakers and sub to and the volume on the receiver at , im also using a techlink 2ph-2ph lead from the sky digi box to receiver and a microsoft high def av pack from the xbox to the receiver.

Currently i just have all channel levels on 0dBs for the speakers and 1.5dBs for the sub and the volume i have on for sky and movies is -12 sometimes lower and games i keep at either 0 or +5.

BTW my pc speakers and sub are definately not ****, i have the logitech Z560 4xspeakers and sub, quality is so clear even turned to high levels ask anyone who has them they will tell you they sound amazing and very loud. They are a bargain now aswell at £114 from amazon.
    Thanks

21. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    I never said the speakers were ****, I'm sure they are fine. I reffered to the power rating. A lot of manufacturers quote inflated power ratings. Roughly, if you 1/2 the impedence you double the power but only if the power supply can deliver the increased load to the amplifier. There are many methods used by many companys.;)

Forgot to make a point. If an amp is rated at 100 watts and the speakers are rated at 100 watts, caution is required with the volume control. I generally use speakers with a higher power rating than the amp for safe listening at very high levels.

22. hannanp

hannanp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

My understanding of hi-fi was always that it was better to have too much power rather than too little in terms of preventing damage to the speakers. The combination of the eggs and the 2011 sounds very popular and I'm about to purchase a 2011 to go with my eggs. I'd be interested in anyones views of this combination

Cheers
    PAul

23. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    The science as I remember is:
    An underpowered amp driven at max volume will distort and clip causing damage to the speakers being driven.
    A high power amp can deliver the same volume without distortion as it's max output wattage is higher.
    BUT an amp CAN deliver its max power way before the dial reaches its maximum position.

My opinion:
    If speakers and amp are both rated at say 100 watts, be carefull how far you turn that dial. Your speakers may go pop.:lesson: :)