Has my hifi amp died 😭

Palnow16

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm after a bit if advice. I've got a denon 201 separates system paired with diamond whafdale 9.1s.

There's no sound coming from the speakers. I've checked the connectors and when plugging in headphones sound is played. Do you think my 15 year old amp has died?

I've had problems in the past with the bare wire connections into the hifi, I'm wondering if the wire touching the back of the unit would have damaged it or if its just old. I've ordered a cheap replacement connector to check if that might fix things...

If I have to retire my faithful the amp, I'd be hugely grateful if you experts could recommend where I could source a replacement or an updated version of my system. Thanks in advance 🙂

Attachments

• 15805629560675819139976936758521.jpg
    15805629560675819139976936758521.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 83
I've had problems in the past with the bare wire connections into the hifi, I'm wondering if the wire touching the back of the unit would have damaged it or if its just old. I've ordered a cheap replacement connector to check if that might fix things...

Are you talking about the speaker-to-amp connecting cable or a cable connecting a source (e.g. CD player) to the amp? Certainly, it's a problem if the speaker-to-amp connecting cable has been shorted - may well blow a fuse, perhaps internal. Not sure if a short circuit in a source connecting cable would give rise to any problem, besides if you're hearing the source through the headphone socket then it's not a source-to-amp connection problem, I guess.

So what is this cheap connector you've ordered? Banana plugs, maybe?

Denon is generally well made gear. If you're content with the sound, I'd stick with the amp and investigate further - it could be a simple fuse replacement fix which you may be able to do yourself. Of course, it could be more serious, such as the amps output transistors are blown, in which case it could be time for a replacement.

Thank you, I got gold tipped connectors when I bought it so it sounds as if it is the amp from your advice 🙂 time to go shopping for a new system i guess (subject to the new cable not shedding any fourth light on the situation

Just in case it's the speakers...

Unusual for two speakers to fail at the same time but still worth checking them out first to ensure they're working - before you opt for a new amp.

How are you with electrics? It's quite possible the only problem with the amp is that it needs a new internal fuse, though that depends on circuit architecture. If you're comfortable with basic electrics, you could whip off the amp's cover and look to see if any visible (and readily accessible) fuses have blown and replace as necessary.

Thanks so much, I'll definitely check that out as well. Sorry to be a nuisance but will it be totally obvious if a fuse is blown or would I have to get a fuse tester?

will it be totally obvious if a fuse is blown or would I have to get a fuse tester?

Seeing as you ask, I'm starting to get nervous about my suggestion that you delve beneath the cover of your amp to look for obvious fuses! Under certain circumstances, the large capacitors present within most amps can hold a fair bit of energy for a long time (months) after the amp is turned off and should be safely discharged before they are touched. Better still, don't touch capacitor terminals. Obviously, the amp should be unplugged from the mains supply before removing cover to check for fuses. And best keep the speakers plugged into the amp, at least for a few minutes after unplugging the amp from the mains before opening the amp's case.

Most internal fuses I've seen in electrical and electronic equipment have had clear glass casing/cartridges so a blown fuse is usually pretty obvious - blackened glass and melted fuse wire, at least partially melted. Hold the fuse up to the light and you should see a missing or broken wire that no longer runs from one end of the fuse to the other. If the case is too blackened to see, then the fuse has blown anyway.

Great, thanks 🙂 I'd read that when I was researching about dangers of the capacitor, even when it's unplugged. I think I'll take the tope off, have a look and if I can't see anything start researching replacements Esther than risk getting a shock 🙂

The audio signal for the headphones comes directly from power transistors through 1W resistors. I'm pretty sure, speaker relay doesn't kick in because:
-missing volatge
- faulty relay
-dry joints around its pins (quite common issue with some oldish amps)

Hi I'm after a bit if advice. I've got a denon 201 separates system paired with diamond whafdale 9.1s.

There's no sound coming from the speakers. I've checked the connectors and when plugging in headphones sound is played. Do you think my 15 year old amp has died?

If I have to retire my faithful the amp, I'd be hugely grateful if you experts could recommend where I could source a replacement or an updated version of my system. Thanks in advance 🙂
Hi, I know this is an old thread but leaving this here for anyone else who has this problem. I had exactly the same, sound through headphones but nothing through speakers. Just check you haven't accidentally turned your speakers off (hit mode button on your amp and volume up button on your remote to reactivate speakers). It's happened to me twice and flummoxed me both times!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom