Has my box died?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by onderchin, Oct 11, 2005.

1. onderchin

onderchin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I am unable to record anything on my Pace sky+ V2...it simply says 'tech fault-call sky' or words to that effect whenever I try to record.

I have tried all the suggested things- switching of, resetting and forced download to no avail :thumbsdow

My signal is about 50% and quality about 20% on both lnb...but still get 90% of the channels- I now live in spain! :thumbsup: Could this be part of the problem?
    It did record here for a day or so but suffered the lost recordings problem, but now absolutly nothing, nada.

Any help or suggestions please? - Box or possibly HDD?
    Thanks..and a great forum

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The signal strength and quality do seem a bit low - can you try the box on a friend's dish ?

3. onderchin

onderchin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nick

No other sky owners in this part!

So does that mean even if I can watch the vast majority of channels, that if the signal quality is low it will prevent being able to record?

Ta!

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    No, not really, but the strength & quality in the UK is more like 80% and 100% - but I've no idea what you'd get in Spain. To be honest, yours sounds more like a viewing card problem than a box problem.

5. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi onderchin,

It's rotten having problems with your box. Nick has mentioned the difference between strength and quality in the UK, and yours is very low by our standards but not enough to cause a problem if you have recorded before.

Have a look at the large thread "Append your name if you have live pause problems...." on this Sky forum, page 1. In that you will see several people have had trouble with recordings. For weeks I could only occasionally record, some days I could not get Sky and had the message "No satellite signal....." and sometimes the technical fault one. My quality and strength were the same as they ever were and are now, and amazingly my Sky V.3 box is suddenly working perfectly over the last few days.

In the Sky menu, system details, the EPG software version is sky+1.30q and operating version 1.31AOE. If you don't have the Sky+1.30q then it probably isn't the update.

Some members have found a Planner Rebuild has cured their problems but you do lose all the recorded programmes you have there at the moment. To do this press Services button. Then select Option 4 System setup. Using the remote control, key in the following 0 then 1 and then Select. You are now in the installation menu. Be careful here. Select option 7 - Sky+ Planner Rebuild.

There is also what is called "Housekeeping" this is a full reset which wipes the hard disk clean including corruption. Following the steps above except don't select option 7, select full system reset, option 8. Leave the box alone for at least twenty minutes for this to take effect.

None of these may make any difference to your box but may be worth trying. It could just be your location and present signal, maybe if you have had a lot of rain. Good luck.

6. blackrod

blackrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I agree with Cynthia, try a planner rebuild first. :smashin: It shouldn't actually cause you to lose your recorded programmes though but the full reset will.

7. onderchin

onderchin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all for the replies.

I had tried all the reset methods (no worries about losing recordings cos they all disappeared one night!)

Because I am now getting the 'tech fault...call sky etc' everytime I try and record or pause etc, I was assuming this was something different?? Maybe I Should wait for this new update and see what happens then? I have the 1.30q so sure all up to date

By the way its been raining like crazy here and still getting my sky :rotfl: