1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has home cinema finally overtaken film?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Chris Frost, Jan 13, 2002.

1. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    I'm going to have a bit of a rant:mad: . The wife and I went to see Lord of the Rings on Saturday night, and I'm begining to wonder if it worth going to the cinema anymore.

We went to the UCI cinema at the Trafford Centre, Manchester. There were the usual issues of parking, queues, high prices and people in the row behind farting regularly throughout the movie, but the thing that really killed it for me was the whole picture & sound experience.

Every time the camera panned across one of the big set piece stages the picture looked jerky and blurred. I know this is because film is of 24pfs and it is double gated through the projector, but I can get better results with good home cinema projection even with 3:2 pull down to contend with.

Another annoyance was the definition of the image. This could has been just poor focus on the projector, but I can honestly say I've been more impressed with most of the CRT projectors I've set-up and used than with this film.

Finally, the sound was harsh and way too loud at peak volumes.

By comparison, even a modest home cinema system could produce a more enjoyable movie watching experience. How luck we select few are who know the joys of home cinema projection.

God, I feel better now. Thanks :)

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    sounds like a bad projector to me . ( especially the intsability on pans I've noticed similar at other UCIs)
    I watched LOTR at the odeon liecester square and the print was pristine and sharp as a tack.

3. Noman

Noman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quality varies a lot from theatre to theatre, but one fact does not vary. Instead of taking my family out to the cinema (4 of us) once I can buy at least 4 DVD:s, (1 for the children and 3 for me :D ) for the same amount of money I have to spend on the car ride and the tickets......

4. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I'm with Chris on this one!.

Since i got into HC in a big way, i'm finding i'm more critical of Cinemas quality.

The biggest thing i notice is the focus being out. This may have been to the sharpness my old LCD could give, getting me used to a percieved extra sharpness. Ie it's just that film is so smooth rather than being out of focus. But i expect it's a poorly setup projector/film stock.

Next is the film damage/grain spoiling the picture. Again this may be due to watching pristine DVDs!.

The big suprise is how blacks the blacks were ie grey!. My LCD was on par to the cinema!. Never bothered about this until last year!.

Now the one thing i will admit to next to nothing about is high quality sound. Although i will upgrade it, i'm very happy with my Sony 930 amp. It's just it has a "raspy" centre channel fault, meaning loud voices come through with slight noise/distortion/brittle(choice one!) etc.
    But even i can tell that the supposed high quality sound i've heard at the cinema sounded terrible.

The single biggest threat to me never going to the cinema again is the "chair kicker" behind!.
    You have three choices:-

1. Say nothing and sit through the film with your chair being bashed forwards.
    2. Say something and either have a fight or run the risk of having stuff flicked at your head etc.(once you have said something, you suddenly become aware of every little twitch on the back of your head!)
    3. Move seats. Then run the risk all over again.

I'm sure they can design sheilds to stop seat kickers.

And as for the farters/laser pointers/talkers/snorers, they should have a attendent in each screening. Even one that popped in every few minutes would be better than nothing etc.

5. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,984
    In technical terms regarding the picture, 35mm will never be matched by video, and i am sure Mr D will tell you why if you ask nicely. But in terms of presentation and enjoyment then i do think Home cinema is now king over The Cinema.

I also went out on Saturday night to UCI Metro centre, and watched Behind Enemy Lines, and Lord of the Rings(i was bored).

I was disgusted with the presentation of both films, both prints looked in a bad way with one having a scratch down the entire third reel! I agree with comments from Chris and Paul regarding the selfishness off many individuals, eating talking and in some cases breathing!

And then the price, £5.10 a ticket! You what? And then a remortgage for a small popcorn and pop.?

And dont even get me started with the sound systems. The best can sound brilliant and the best cinema i have been in was Star City Brumm with SDDS sound. But most theatres are rubbish, tinny sound with no dynamics or surround placement. A £200 DD/DTS amp would do a better job.

And then there is the loud volume of the adverts and trailers, only to get quiet when the main feature starts!

Stay at home? You bet! Be anti social? You Bet! Never go to the Cinema again? I doubt it!

6. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Emma and I went to see LOTR at UCI in the Metro centre also..
    we arrived with 15 mins to go and couldnt find a seat... there were 2 together at the back.. but someone had been sick all over them (nice!) 3 together on the left.. broken! just covered by black bin bags! Emma ended up getting a 'manager' who 'managed' to move people around and sit us in the kneck bending 2nd from front row. All in all pretty dissapointing experience for the money.

Guess we will have to get it on DVD, stretch out on the sofa and fire up the projector to enjoy it... plus i can have a fag!:D

Taz.:cool:

7. IanB

IanB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in agreement with everything said so far,

but…

[Devils Advocate]

If we stop going, aren't we in danger of killing the industry?

[/Devils Advoacte]

To make an analogy, there is a Zoo in Dudley that I HATE going to because the animals habitats are old and shaby, however it will never get any better if people like me avoid going and spending money.

The multiplex cinema's wont get better without pressure perhaps this should be the next campaign championed by What Videa & TV (et al)?

8. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Even my 10 year old daughter coments on black levels at the cineam now.

The movie industry now makes something like 5 times the money out of DVD than theatre release.

I don't believe cinemas have changed much over the years but our standards and expections have. changed. The information we recieve from places like this forum educates us to the level where we realise what truly is available and achievable.

9. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Hmmm, I saw LOTR at the same cinema on its third day of release and I wasn't at all impressed with the overall cinema experience (the film was great though).

Aside from the usual problem of people talking, the occasional mobile phone ring and people constantly getting up to go to the toilets or get food, it looked like an entire reel in the middle of the movie was either damaged or not properly loaded (the Rivendell part). It was jumping up and down and was really distracting. This is NOT what you expect from a premier cinema showing a premier film on the first few days of release.

Additionally, the overall picture size (sitting in the balcony near the front) and picture quality was little better than what I achieve at home on my LCD projector. I imagine that if I had come a week or two later, the picture would have been worse due to film wear. The sound was an improvement in some ways (ie louder and more bass) but only because living in an apartment precludes me from getting a subwoofer and playing movies really loud. In terms of sound fidelity and imaging, my home system beat the cinema hands down.

Really, as more and more people get reasonable quality kit at home, the cinemas will have to look to their laurels.

Gav

10. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the news last week was a couple here in Yorkshire that got beat up by "seat kickers" for asking them to be quiet.

You won't get that at home!

11. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Well, although I agree with much of what's been said I would have to say that I still thoroughly enjoy going to the cinema.

The shared experience thing is a really big thing for me especially with light hearted films. Moulin Rouge was one of the best cinema experiences for me. You could sense the excitement and surprise at the chioces of music and everybody was really sweapt away with the film.

LOTR was a really good experience for me as well. We had good seats, there was no noise and, again, there was a real sense of excitement. You could just feel how blown away everyone was. The only problem for me was the toilet goers but I suppose it was a really long film (still, Sara managed and she's 5 months pregnant!).

The print and the projector were also good for each with just a slight softness being the only downside.

There's something about the fact that you have to be quiet, you can't stop the film and the that you've driven a few miles that adds to the amount of focus I have especially early on in the film.

Also you don't have that nagging feeling in the back of your mind that you've got something set up incorrectly. I don't think I've gone through a film yet without adjusting the volume control!

My 2p
    Alex

12. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hoem cinema is a revelation. I haven't been to the cinema for years, I prefered watching DVD's on my 32 inch TV than put up with the obnoxious morons I normally encounter at the cinema.

Now I've got my projector it's great. I can get a true cinema experience in my own home. Pausing the film when I like. No disturbance from drunken idiots (unless Liz has been on the wine!) No sivk, no mess, no rip off. Just a thoroughly enjoyable experience.

The last film I saw at the cinema was SE7EN I think. Luckily it was quiet and so we didn't get disturbed, but as soon as I got a DVD player I didn't look back.

I'm quite happy waiting for Lord of the Rings to come out on DVD. Infact the mother-in-law to be has offered to buy it so she can come round to watch it!!

13. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't look at me - I can't afford to keep the cinema in business. :eek:

Laurel

14. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Regarding picture quality, bear in mind that LOTR was shot in Super35, with its usual horrid grain side-effects.

That aside, it was a very enjoyable experience. The crowd was remarkably civil.

15. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    Quite often with super35 you can get better exposures and sharpness compared to scope so its 6 of one and half dozen of the other.