Has DVD Players stereo playback quality improved?

ddlooping

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all. :)

I have been using a Pioneer DV626-D (review here ) as CD/DVD player for the past 3 years or so.
My question is:
Have DVD players improved in CD playback quality since, in the same price range (it cost me about £250 with multi-region mod)?
Or, to put it another way, would changing it for a more recent player like the Pioneer 565 (still in the same price range) would bring an improvement in CD playback?

Thanks in advance. ;)

I asked a similar question in a thread on this section of the forum
"CD playback: digital v analogue output "

There were some useful responses, the last dated 14.11.03.

I am also considering the Pioneer 565, mostly for it's DVD-a & SACD capabilities.
Would love to hear from 565 users regarding straight CD playback quality.

The 565 is a great improvment compared to my old Sony 525 using the built in decoder rather than the decoder in the amp.
On the whole even for DD5.1 the internal decoder is much better than the mone built into my Marantz 5000SE (quite old now)

Stimpy,
How do you use the DVD player's decoder in preference to the amp? How do you know which is being used?
Thanks

My 565 is an improvment over my old Tosh 9000 both via digital and analogue. Basicaly it sounds much clearer with the Tosh now sounding muffled on a direct comparison.:smashin:

Thank you both for your replies. :)

@ Spencem,
This is an excerpt for the "Home Cinema Choice" review of the Tosh SD-9000...

With CD playback (a more demanding aspect of performance), a multitude of tough work-outs from the likes of Nick Cave, Tindersticks, Blur and Beethoven all continued to show off the 9000's evident audio prowess. I personally would have liked a touch more warmth and a touch less cold precision, but that really is just me picking a tiny hole in what is at least approaching an audiophile-grade PCM performance.
So I'm now wondering how much more precise and cold the 565 is compared to it.
Also, keep in mind my actual DVD player is a Pioneer which might already differ quite a lot with the Tosh in terms of "sound signature".

Thanks, kelvin, I appreciate it. :)

No views on the subject (apart from the grammatical error)? :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom