Has anyone used Vonage for VOIP with Virgin NTL Cable?

C

cowgirl

I have moved to a place that only has Virgin/NTL and unfortunately I cannot have a phone line. Someone suggested I try a company called Vonage, but I have not heard of them before. Has anyone had any experience of them - also is it true that you can make and receive calls without the PC on if you don't have a phone line? Thanks :)

I have moved to a place that only has Virgin/NTL and unfortunately I cannot have a phone line.

Why? Virgin media supply phones lines as well as cable.

Someone suggested I try a company called Vonage, but I have not heard of them before. Has anyone had any experience of them -

No experiance with Vonage I use Sipgate on my Virgin / NTL cable.

also is it true that you can make and receive calls without the PC on if you don't have a phone line? Thanks :)

Yes, if you have an Router / ATA.

I use Vonage with NTL. Infact I was so impressed with it I got rid of my BT line and now only use Vonage.
It costs me £8 a month and includes all UK, USA, Canada and parts of Europe landline calls for free. Mobile call costs are reasonable as well.

www.vonage.co.uk

Ben.

Apparently they don't have any more connections for a phone line until someone comes out of a contract!!!

Hi Ben - that's good to know - thanks. Can you recommend a router to use, so that I don't have to have the PC on all the time to make/receive calls?
Thanks.

I've had vonage for the last 6 months and I have to say its been more or less faultless.

Wife is French and now she can spend as much time as she wants 'haw he haw'-ing to her family and friends. We have the europe package which includes free calls to France, Spain, Germany, Italy, Portugal, USA, Canada and USA Mobiles 24/7.

On average I save about £35 a month.

Only down side is you get a new number (fine if you dont have one at the mo) but I got round this by buying a pstn/voip auto switcher off ebay. This routes all calls either voip or pstn to one phone and by default dials out via voip.

Router I use is a Netgear DG834GT which I got free with my Sky BB subscription.

Hi. Another vote for Vonage used with NTL (Virgin Media) I have the package which includes USA, Canada Australia and New Zealand....Save a fortune keeping in touch with all the escapees....:thumbsup:

Why? Virgin media supply phones lines as well as cable.

Unfortunately there are capacity issues in some areas that mean it is not possible to add more customers until someone quits. Also I have to have a BT line because while Cable can supply TV and broadband to my flat, they don't provide telephony to the block. :rolleyes:

Hi,

I use vonage and Virgin cable. Works a treat. They supplied me with a Motorola Router which does everything just fine.

We've had Vonage for years and saved a FORTUNE!!!
£7.99 a month with free calls is brilliant. Call me a pennypincher, but for those 0845 & 0870 numbers ( that ARE charged for ) I use www.saynoto0870.com and get the FREE alternative numbers. i.e. Virgin Media, Bank etc.
So my bill is usually just the £7.99!
We never ring mobiles, but they are cheaper on Vonage too!

Recommend it mate!

We've had Vonage for years and saved a FORTUNE!!!
£7.99 a month with free calls is brilliant. Call me a pennypincher, but for those 0845 & 0870 numbers ( that ARE charged for ) I use www.saynoto0870.com and get the FREE alternative numbers. i.e. Virgin Media, Bank etc.
So my bill is usually just the £7.99!
We never ring mobiles, but they are cheaper on Vonage too!

Recommend it mate!

LOL. Yes saynoto0870 is the vonage users best friend!

I have moved to a place that only has Virgin/NTL and unfortunately I cannot have a phone line. Someone suggested I try a company called Vonage, but I have not heard of them before. Has anyone had any experience of them - also is it true that you can make and receive calls without the PC on if you don't have a phone line? Thanks :)

No experience of Vonage but I dumped my Virgin landline last year and use Tesco Internet phone over my Virgin 2Mb broadband. Their internet phone adapter is now down to £20 and enables you to plug a normal phone into your router. I just use the PAYG option which is 2p/min for 01/02 numbers (free to other Tesco Internet phone numbers). You can also pay £2/month for free evening/weekend UK calls or £5/month for free UK calls. You get free voicemail, caller-id, online itemised accounts which seem to go back as far as your start date. The only "problems" I have had relate to occasional power cuts and interruptions to broadband which leave the adapter in a non-working state ( all incoming calls go to voicemail and you need to restart the adapter when everything else is up and running).

No experience of Vonage but I dumped my Virgin landline last year and use Tesco Internet phone over my Virgin 2Mb broadband. Their internet phone adapter is now down to £20 and enables you to plug a normal phone into your router. I just use the PAYG option which is 2p/min for 01/02 numbers (free to other Tesco Internet phone numbers). You can also pay £2/month for free evening/weekend UK calls or £5/month for free UK calls. You get free voicemail, caller-id, online itemised accounts which seem to go back as far as your start date. The only "problems" I have had relate to occasional power cuts and interruptions to broadband which leave the adapter in a non-working state ( all incoming calls go to voicemail and you need to restart the adapter when everything else is up and running).

To be honest, those issues could be attributed to any i/p based hardware. It is however important to note how power issues can affect "non conventional" means of making phone calls.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom