1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone used this potentially very quiet case??

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by oreoboy13, Sep 12, 2003.

1. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also consider Antec's Sonata. Far better looking IMO & cheaper (comes with PSU/case fan included IIRC).

Has rec'd excellent reviews.

3. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    found the sonata for the same price, granted it comes with a psu but i would want to replace it anyway.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    My HTPC uses the AcoustiCase. :)

Very nice, very heavy, soundproofing works well. Slightly restricted airflow means you'll probably not want more than two hard disks, and one of the internal bays is above the PSU making it pretty useless IMHO.

However, with one of their 400W PSUs with two fans, plus a quiet 120mm fan on the back panel I have no problems running a Radeon 9700 as the graphics card .. these generate a goodly amount of heat .. and I can barely hear the fan on it, the system is an AMD 2000+ on an ASUS nForce2 board. Coupled with Seagate 120Gb drives which are nigh-on silent anyway, the soundproofing in the system makes it a very, very quiet.

I considered the Sonata but decided I preferred the extra soundproofing of the other one .. though you can buy the acoustic material separately which I have done for my other PC which is in a Chieftec box.

5. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I use the Sonata case and can vouch for its quality and quietness. The power supply is very good quality and will power a hefty system. :smashin:

6. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

So i wouldn't want to put:

1x WD raptor 10k 36 GB
    3x matrox sata 250GB

in the case then?

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'd say not ... the Raptor is I suspect noisy and prone to 'whine' being a 10K device, I've no experience with the SATAs.

IMHO you're going to struggle to get what I'd call an HTPC-quiet PC with that kit ... that's one of the reasons I have 2 PCs, the HTPC has just enough storage for its' immediate needs and uses the other across a LAN as a filestore.

I'd also think you'd struggle with cooling .. but I think you'll struggle with cooling in ANY case without suffering a largeish amount of fan noise to keep those disks cool.

8. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I use a sonata and got it for £90 ish from simply..... lovely case

Ad