1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone upgraded from Sanyo Z2 to Z3?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by eatstatic, Apr 15, 2005.

1. eatstatic

eatstatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    As stated just wanted to know if anyone has gone this route and whether or not it would be a worth while venture?

A pro's and con's sort of thing.

Generally if anyone has done what were the improvements for the money in a nutshell.

Have a Z2 which was bought from the Ivojo pre-order and have been pretty happy with the perfomance o/all. Vertical banding had been an issue but firmware upgrade seemed to sort that out.

Does Z3 suffer any of these type of problems or are they new/different problems.

Have read some of the posts re the Z3 but wanted more of a direct comparison to the Z2 if possible. Also a little help in being pushed one way or another.

Cheers,

eatstatic.

........Or wait for z4?

2. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    I owned both the Z2 and the Z3 (for a short while).

The only answer I can give, is what is important to you?

If the answer is 'dust blobs are chuffing annoying, and having owned my Z2 for a while, the grey (instead of black) is becoming irritating', the answer is probably yes, if you don't mind spending the extra £££ on the upgrade. In most other respects, they were pretty similar.

Hope this helps :)

3. Jimbobgod

Jimbobgod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Z2 which suffers from VB - how did you go about getting a firmware upgrade?

4. eatstatic

eatstatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    UrbanT,

Yeah, this does help. Been giving it some thought and have read a few more posts on the Z3.

Dust blobs don't seem to be an issue, and paying somewhere in the region of £400+ (depending on what I could get for Z2) just to get a darker grey doesn't really seem to be worth the upgrade at this moment in time.

Looking at it realistically it would appear that waiting to see what arrives in the future will be the way :rolleyes:

Cheers,

eatstatic

5. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Have you ever considered a DLP machine. These give you a very nice black.

6. mason

mason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    I looked at some DLP machines at the show in Bristol and I suppose everyone is different but for me in was rainbow city on everyone that I saw!

If you are considering a Z3 then why not look at the Panny AE700?

I was between the Z3 and AE700, for me the Panny won hands down.

7. eatstatic

eatstatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Yup,

When first getting into the whole projector thing looked at a number of options DLP vs LCD and all that, favouring DLP in theory.
    At the time looked at/considered the Sony HS10, Panny 300AE, Sanyo Z1, Optoma H56 & 30, NEC1100 to name a few.

What it boiled down to was what I could afford and that both myself and my partner suffered from the rainbow effect.

Although I saw them, as annoying as it was I didn't seem to have any adverse effects but at one demo our lass had to walk out.

With that it only left me with the one option in terms of technology and a pretty hefty lense shift soon narrowed down the choice on LCD units.

Mason,

As far as the Panny700AE is concerned this would leave me in the same boat at the moment. A fork out of what I consider quite a lot of dosh for what appears will only be marginal improvements.

As stated I have given some though and will be leaving it for the next generation of machines. Perhaps a DLP unit will come along that will have enough colour segments/Wheel speed and what have you that will do away with the rainbow effect. As long as I can afford it :rolleyes:

eatstatic.

8. eatstatic

eatstatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Jimbobgod,

Contacted Sanyo Service centre that are reasonably local to me and asked them to update the firmware under warranty. Double checked with supplier to make sure that they were ok with this.

This is something I have been trying to do for a while but until recently had it proved difficult.

Hope this helps.

eatstatic

9. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,494
    The Z3 is no way inferior to the AE700. The lens shift is better, it's quieter and has less VB. I can't think of one reason I'd take the AE700 over the Z3 to be honest, I've had both so feel qualified to comment!
    I'd wait for the next generation to be honest, there's nothing apart from the Sony HS50 that's a worthwhile upgrade at the moment.

Andy

10. Bogeyed

Bogeyed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yup,I'll go along with that. Z3 wins on flexibility of installation due to its lens shift feature. The rest of its attributes are the icing on the cake. Rainbows ruled out DLP for me also.

11. mason

mason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131

The Panny AE700 has lens shift also and the throw distance is also better on the Panny... which in my mind makes install easier but I suppose its personal preference :smashin:

Agreed though the rainbows ruled DLP out for me also.

12. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,494
    Sure it has lens shift but it doesn't shift as far as it does with the Z3. Trust me I see absolutely no reason to choose an AE700 over a Z3 (as long as both will project the image size required from the distance required). The Z3 has a longer warranty, a better lens shift, is quieter, has an implement for removing dust blobs and produces a cracking picture! What more can you ask for for not much more than £1K?

Cheers,
    Andy