1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone tried WMV High Definition

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by LTJ, Jun 6, 2005.

1. LTJ

LTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all. I was wondering as this was mentioned in a post recently and the issue of what spec PC is acceptable, has any one tried Windows Media High Definition Video (Moderators note I did do a search got two responses). I 've got some clips given a a freebie taster on a DVD with a magazine I can't recall at the moment. Anyhow as I've said in a previous post that with my set up some of the clips were struggling to manifest with the AMD300xp running flat out!
    Is it possible that there was something I wasn't doing right or are these HD videos actually that power hungry? If they are surely with current top of the range processors there's not going to be much head room for other applications at the same time.
    Any observations

Cheers

LTJ

2. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yes WMVHD is particularly processor intensive, what makes it worse is that Media Player is not very efficient. Try playback using Media Player Classic or VLC to see if you can get smooth playback.

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 720p trailers etc. aren't that cpu cycle hungry. My P4 (3.5gHz) barely runs at 20% load.

1080p are more demanding.

You shouldn't really have any problems with an XP3000 though.

:smoke:

Edit: just running T2 now @ 16/18% cpu load - MCE/MP10.

4. LTJ

LTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well since I last tried to play them I've upgraded slightly to 1024mb ram. maybe that may make a differenc. I suppose what initiated my post was an earlier thread
    "Building first HTPC - am I going over the top? " several days ago. There was a reply saying you don't need such a high spec PC etc etc, but in my limited experience it seems you do. I'm intrigued though as I trust Kramer's experience when he says I shouildn't have any problems with an AMD 3000XP ; but I do. What do I need to take into account?

Thanks
    LTJ

Just saw your edit Kramer. I don't know, theres something amiss.

5. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are using a GFX card like the 6600/6800 series you dont need as much CPU power on WMV as well as other video sources as it has pure video which hardware decodes the video.

6. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi LTJ, I first tried wmvhd a while back and was surprised by the specs required (I had tried building a HTPC on a budget):

wmvhd
    (it was a new build/clean install with xplite to reduce load)
    In the end I upgraded to a 3200+ and now I can mess about with post processing (ffdshow) :smashin:

If you're anything like me, and probably everyone else here, you'll never be happy with the PQ and will always want better, faster, more!

7. priceless

priceless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    ATI also claim WMVHD support though I've never tried. The patch El Reg. mentions as far as I can make out simply makes WMP use PureVideo, NVidia have claime their MPEG decoder has supported it for some time form what I've read.