• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Has anyone tried this Panasonic Buzzing Fix?

Oliverp

Hello

I was reading in a very old thread that someone had a visit from a Panasonic engineer that fixed their buzzing tv by putting insulation tape inside the ferrite cores on the internal wires. This apparently stopped them rattling when current passed through them and stopped the buzzing.
Before I take the back off my TV and have a go, does anyone know if this will work with a 50" plasma?
My buzzing is quite noticeable when the screen is bright, and really quite loud when the screen is white.
I swapped out a Samsung TV with John Lewis last year because of buzzing. The panny isn't quite as bad, but I still notice it. I don't want to go through another exchange because the whole process was a huge headache (I live in the Isles of Scilly which caused major logistical problems).

Thanks in advance,

Ollie

llama

The buzzing would more likely come from a choke than from the cable itself, some of the ferrite on the PCB's may cause the issue, but not the cabling.

Image | Hardware Secrets

I mean the rings with the copper coloured wire going through them, not the ferrite rings you can put on cables that I assume you mean. I have heard that some manufacturers use glue on them to stop them vibrating/ buzzing.

Oliverp

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like its not so straightforward then. Think i might give it a miss!
Ollie

mgb77

Some blokes from the german hifi forum reported loosen screws a little bit at the backpanel help with the buzzing problem.
The main advice is there to press against the backpanel in that areas where you hear the loudest noise. If the noise get lower its a hint loosen 2 or 3 screws a little bit around there could help.

Oliverp

Thanks for passing on the info. I'll give this a try and report back.
Ollie

Oliverp

Looks like a good idea! I have stopped the buzzing by putting some egg box style sound deadening stuff between the top of the TV and the wall. The air holes are not covered, but there isn't much clearance between the air holes and the egg box material. The TV does get noticeably hotter at the top.

I think I'll try sticking the egg box stuff to the back of the TV instead (like the carpet man) and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks again

Ollie

Oliverp

OK. Using a hybrid carpet/egg box solution :D I seem to have really helped the buzzing issue. I'll post pictures later, but this is what I did.

Using the egg box foam (I got it online from Wilmslow Audio - it has an adhesive backing), I cut holes in it the same size as the top vents on the tv. I made sure the sides of the holes in the egg box foam were slanting inwards to help bounce the buzz noise off. I covered the top of the back off the TV like this and I can only hear the buzz when I put my ear to the back of the TV. It's neat, and the vent holes are still open.

The egg box foam is also a dark grey to match the back of the TV so it isn't noticeable at all really.

Seems to work well for me and I will keep an eye on the temps. I watched a news article with loads of white pictures (about snow) and I coudn't hear a thing from the sofa (around 7ft away).

I'll post pics this evening.

Ollie

BigDogs

Standard Member
@SadR0bot LOL - loved the quip:smashin: - you Wiganers...

@Oliverp - sounds terrific. I can't wait to see the pics! Prior to carpeting the back of the TV (how mad does that sound? - but me and the girlfriend don't really notice it now) I was painfully aware of all white material and bright scenes - buzzzz. Fixed now.

BigDogs.

Oliverp

Sorry about the image quality. You can see the egg box foam on the back though. After much repositioning, I found the top part of the TV was the best place to kill the buzzing (for me anyway). The holes still allow hot air to leave, but the egg box foam is quite thick, so dampens the buzzing very well.

I'm happy, and I hope this will be good for others too.

Thanks

Ollie

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 1,030

BigDogs

Standard Member
Thanks for the pic. I guess that's thinking inside the (egg) box:smashin:.

I had to cover the entire rear of the panel in order to significantly reduce the buzzing noise. Glad to see that you manged to avoid "decorating" the entire back of the TV.

I did intend to get some accoustic material but I've recently had carpet fitted and the offcuts have worked well. Admitttedly I can still hear a slight buzz on an entirely white background.

Best,

BD.

sparkie1984

Distinguished Member
i love these ideas :D

i have to ask though, is this safe? how much heat is generated by the set? i mean if the worst happened wouldnt foam/carpet just act as an accelerant to fire etc.....

i know i sound a bit weird, but personally for me id be wary :)

BigDogs

Standard Member
i love these ideas :D

i have to ask though, is this safe? how much heat is generated by the set? i mean if the worst happened wouldnt foam/carpet just act as an accelerant to fire etc.....

i know i sound a bit weird, but personally for me id be wary :)

There's an element of risk for sure - just how much I don't know. My panel is not at all hot at the rear - both before and after "carpeting". Also, all the vent holes at the bottom of the rear of the panel that face the floor and all those at the top that face the ceiling are uncovered. I'm happy with it TBH. Might not even bother with "proper" acoustic material that I orignally planned on fitting. It's a talking point for visitors too - guaranteed a laugh!:):D:laugh::rotfl:

Best,

BD.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom