1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone tried the Rotel 1098 processor

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by RAM69, Dec 30, 2003.

1. RAM69

RAM69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will shortly be purchasing a new processor for my system.
    I am using a Rotel 1090 and 1095 for a seven speaker set up. The speakers are KEF Reference 3.2s front, 1.2s for side and rear and a 200C center.
    I was originally thinking of an Arcam AV8. However, the new Rotel looks very interesting. Has anyone seen or heard one yet?

2. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Yes I have. If you want the colour screen go for it [a significant part of the cost I suppose goes towards it], otherwise the Arcam beats it for SQ IMO. You have very good speakers and good amps and I know the inclination is to go for a one make system but most of the other upmarket processors are better.

3. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I have and now own one! I listened long and hard to the Arcam AV8 and a friend's TAG AV32 dual. The 1098 to my ears gave a more pleasing sound in stereo than the other two and ran them very close for HC. Obviously if THX Ultra2 is important to you then the 1098 will be of no use.

I am using the 1075 power amp which is probably the weakest link in my system but nevertheless outstanding value for money.

There have been some very good reviews of this unit which may be found at http://www.rotel.com/reviews/reviews_rsp1098.html

For the money it is unbeatable and the TFT screen has drawn much enviable attention!

I would urge you to give it an audition and compare for yourself.

Regards

Darren

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,559
    i listened to the RSP1098 in November, and thought it very harsh. Nowhere near as smooth and warm as the Arcam AV8.

5. jfinneru

jfinneru
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    nannestad, close to Gardermoen, the int airport in
    Ratings:
    +0
    i use the rsp1098, with rb1090 front l/r and rmb1095 for the rest. speakers are AR312 front, and AR308 for the rest, dvd player is pioneer 868avi. the sound is very good! don't you guys have return policy in the UK? I don't buy any expensive AV toys without getting this.

6. Pottsy

Pottsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well I love mine! Screen is useful only as a setup menu device, or to attach to a small maplins camera pointed at where the neighbour's car parks so I know when I can turn it up loud! Mine partnered with 1075 (K-17's), a B&W ASW675 sub and a DV88+. Never A/B'd with AV8 but difference in SQ meant to be very small. Why not wait for 1068 if in doubt?

7. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I must admit that I’m thinking about this processor and running it with the 1095 power amp.