Has anyone tried the Philips SRM7500 Vista remote?

wywywywy

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

As title, has anyone tried the Phillips SRM7500 Vista remote?

To those who don't know what it is, basically it is a learning universal remote specially designed for VMC, plus control for other AV devices.

It communicates with VMC by RF so no line of sight needed. And yes it is a proper learning remote so not just internal code base.

Of course it has got a colour screen so that you don't need to switch the TV on to select songs to play on the VMC.

And best of all... it is only £80 or so!!

(Sounds like a sales pitch haha.)

[MOD Comment by mmahmed] Please don't link to 3rd party images. Thanks.

So it totally fits my bill, but I just don't know how good/usable/reliable it really is in reality, and whether it is worth replacing my Gyration MCE RF learning remote for this.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

I've never seen this before so would also like to know if anyone has any feedback on it.

I had a second Gyration remote for Xmas which was a 'UK edition'. This means they've removed the very handy shortcuts in the middle of the remote for RecordedTV, Music, Videos etc and replaced them with Setup, Clear, Connect etc. The place where Setup, Clear etc used to be at the bottom now has coloured teletext buttons, which are pointless as Media Center doesn't do anything that uses these. Grrrrr.

....rant over.

The Gyration is great isn't it.
But this has the potential to be even better.
The Gyration has one major annoyance that you have to press 6 buttons to switch PC, amp, and TV on.
This remote can do macros as far as I know (but not 100% sure), so one button to switch all on, one button to switch all off...

I've been looking at this remote too as a replacement for a Harmony 555 that i am not getting on with.

The only thing putting me off at the moment is that the screen isnt colour, and there are some negative reviews regarding the music navigation system which seems to be based on playlists rather than the artist/album that i would prefer.

was reading some reviews here http://www.retrevo.com/s/Philips+SRM7500?rt=oa

the owners manual is here http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/s/srm7500_10/srm7500_10_dfu_eng.pdf which might answer some macro questions

yeah, although i'm not sure how much of a disadvantage that would be for just navigating songs. and it would help battery life i guess.

I'm not really interested in picture viewing on a remote anyway. I just wish there was somewhere i could try the remote, or at least some real life reviews. I dont think any high street stores sell it.

I've started a thread on the Green Button forum in case some people have bought one.

I've just taken delivery of one, having ordered for a specific purpose...when just listening to music from my media centre I didn't want to have to turn my plasma TV on just to find the album.

Only been using it for an hour or so, but initial reaction looks extremely good. Installation was relatively straightforward, there was an error in the setup process that the 'net start' command couldn't complete, but after rebooting it all seems to work ok. It took quite a long time to find all my albums to start with, but once downloaded them all it's pretty quick to navigate to the right artist/album.

I thought the small screen would be a problem, but it works well for what it needs to do...also turns itself off quite promptly so hopefully won't be too much of a battery drain.

The ability to operate the whole media centre over RF is excellent as line of sight wasn't always easy from every sitting position.

Initial reaction to the programmability and usability for other devices also looks good. Not something I was intending to use it for, as I already have an iPronto for all devices; but have already set it up for the TV, Amp and Sky HD box and it seems to have all the right buttons for it to be a logical control for these devices.

Will report back later when I've used it for a longer period.

Tennant

Can you do me a massive massive favour please?
Can you please check whether the little screen supports Unicode.
Thanks!

Can you do me a massive massive favour please?
Can you please check whether the little screen supports Unicode.

I'll try...any characters in particular you want me to test?

Tennant

Can you please try this as a song title?

一二三

It means "one two three" in Japanese and Chinese.
They are Unicode characters.

Thanks.

Can you please try this as a song title?

一二三

It means "one two three" in Japanese and Chinese.
They are Unicode characters.

Sorry for taking so long in getting back on this. I created the test file using the name above and then the SRM7500 promptly stopped working. Not because of the file, but because of the Vista SP1 update. Has taken a while to get it going again, but sorted now.

I can confirm that whilst the SRM7500 can access the files using unicode characters, it can't actually display the characters on its own screen; so in the above example I just got a song with a blank name!

Hope this helps.

Tennant

Thanks for getting back to me.
Its a shame it doesn't work but I kind of expected it anyway :(
Even Sonos don't support Unicode.
And Logitech Duet needs an unofficial hack to support Unicode...

For the time being, I bought a Pronto TSU9200, just hoping it fares better than the SRM7500 considering it is like 6 times as expensive!

But of course another "new" headache is that VMC has no discrete power on/off IR code support.

Sigh. A never ending quest for the perfect remote.

Hey guys, I am desperately searching for an RF Vista remote which will allow me to control my specific music player, most or all of the remotes only control VMC, what I am seeking is this, to intercept one of those remotes signal by using a macro software which can trigger my music player's Hotkeys, macro programs such as Eventghost or Girder 5 was designed for this but I haven't gotten responses from those forums regarding this, does anyone have any ideas/leads I can look into to achieve what I want by ANY method please? Thanks.

Hi. My Gyration RF remote is a standard HID device, so yes I guess it will work.

I had spoken to the support people at Gyration a while back but they said their remotes can only work with the windows media players. My music player is a Radio/DJ software which features 2 decks

OtsAV: OtsAV Pro Screenshot

If you can take a look at the top left menu you will see the regular player controls [Play, pause, stop, next track previous track], those functions are what I need to control from a remote and also the pc's volume control. Do you think the Gyration remote will allow me those controls using Girder or any other software?

It is my understanding that Girder can interpute any standard remote commands (play, pause, stop, etc) and then do whatever it likes. Do they have a trial download?

Yes, there is a trial version of Girder, actually, there are 2 main softwares designed to intercept remote signals, Eventghost

Controlling your living room with EventGhost - EventGhost

and Girder. Girder as everyone know, you need to be a Rocket Scientist to figure out that software on your own and you don't get the "step by step" support expected for a paid software. I tried and tried and got close and since I did not get the help I had expected to get I ended up posting a thread asking to pay someone to get it done for me:

Will pay someone with Firefly Remote to config.. - Promixis, LLC Forums

and still no help. I did the same thing on the Eventghost forum and same deal there.

EventGhost • View topic - How to get my music software on EG's list?

I bought the Snapstream Firefly remote only becuase it was supported by these 2 softwares and now I don't know what else to do, if offering to pay someone to tell me what to do doesn't work then I don't see what else will.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom