Has anyone tried the One For All 6 (from RS)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by MonkeyDonkey, Jul 14, 2002.

1. MonkeyDonkey

MonkeyDonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My TV remote is pretty much as dead as a dodo and seen as I might be replacing the TV soon anyway I don't wanna spend much on a new remote for it.
    I've come accross this remote from Richer Sounds (others sell it but they appear to sell a newer model) and just wondered if anyone has one or has any experience with it.

At £9.99 it seems a great bargain and it would be nice to be able to control all the basic functions from one remote.
    However it looks a bit of a dodgy shape to me, the way the buttons are arranged seems rather odd IMHO, I can't get to a store soon (to see it) so if anyone has any first hand experience with it I'd appreciate any comments.

Ta:cool:

2. lbeck

lbeck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have a direct answer for your query, but it's been a week or so since your post so maybe my "opinion" will help.

I have the One for All high-end remote to control all my AV components. It's the best thing in its class IMO. It cost about $100 but is both IR and UHF to allow placement of a IR transmitter at a remote location. Also, I like the learning function that allows it to clone other remotes.

Anyway, OFA seems to be a reliable mfgr that makes a good product. I'll bet the $10 unit will serve you well.

3. steev

steev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've got a OFA6 that I've had for a while. It's actually a very powerful device, but I'm not using all the features. I've been using it with the TV, video and cable, but just got a new TV so need to reprogram. Haven't set up the DVD controls yet.

It can be a pain to find the right code for a device as they are listed by type and manufacturer. For some companies there may be a dozen or more to try.

If you like there is an option to build a PC interface and program from there, but that's something else I have yet to play with.

I paid more than a tenner and for that price it's a bargain.

Go for it

Steve

4. MonkeyDonkey

MonkeyDonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for your replies guys.

steev is yours the one shown on the RS website? or is it a newer model?
    Argos and others seem to have a newer model for £30 but I'm not sure if RS just don't have a piccy of the newer one.

If it is the one on the site is it uncomfortable to hold?
    It looks a funny shape?

All being well (providing its not as hot as it was today and I don't decide to go and watch a film :D) I will try and get to the Birmingham store on monday. Failing that I may just order it, at £10 it can't be that bad and I'm sure I'd get at least that on Ebay if it was bad.

5. steev

steev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  6. MonkeyDonkey

MonkeyDonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yup that looks like the newer model I've seen too.
    If I'm gonna spend £30 I think I'll get the Cambridge Audio model from RS.

Cheers

7. Tejpal

Tejpal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i dont recommend it.. i also bough one from RS and i gave it back soon after.
    I wanted it also to use for my tv, the codes given didnt work, but in the manual it said, it had a MODEM built in, so all you had to do was ring customer services and then put your phone onto the head set and it would automatically update. so i though i would, i rang the *FREEPHONE NUMBER* and it said that this number was moved to a "0906" number which was charged at 2.50 per minute!!!!!!!

£10 remote and i wasnt gonna spend £££s making it work, so i briskly returned it...

Buy it if you know it is ganna work

8. steev

steev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You can update the Oneforall via the net. I think you have to register, but then you can download WAV files that you play to the little microphone on the back of the remote.

I did this once when trying to get it working with my NTL box and it seemed to work.

I know these remotes don't have a fancy screen, but as I said before it's a very powerful device for not much money. You just have to live with it's limitations on the user interface side.

Steve
    A fairly happy OFA6 owner