1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone tried imaging a Sky+ drive to another?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Stevie G, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Stevie G

Stevie G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I think the 120gb Maxtor hard drive in my Sky+ is dying (re my other thread!) and was wondering if it's possible to 'image' the drive to another.

I have a spare 80gb drive (no good to use the the Sky+ - IBM and 7200rpm), but I was thinking that perhaps I could delete any unwanted recordings from Sky+, which would leave around 40-60gb on the drive. Could I then use something like Ghost to copy the whole Sky+ drive to an image to store on the spare drive to then copy back when I get a replacement Maxtor? Has anyone tried this? I know you can't access the files usually from a Sky+ drive, but would doing this just not image the raw data?

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    This cannot work as Pace use a modified IDE controller to interface with the drive to prevent things just like this. A std. IDE controller will only be able to read some of the data properly.

3. Stevie G

Stevie G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    But surely if you can use a standard drive and are able to image all the data on that drive it should copy the data over? It's not like they use a special drive that had a hidden area or something.

4. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    When I upgraded my drive to a Maxtor 120GB I had a look at the drive that came out and it seems to use a standard FAT32 file format.

Each programme you record gets it's own directory which contains several files.

I see no reason why you could not ghost the drive...but wether it would work again in the Sky+ box I'm not sure.

The only unknown is wether the Sky+ box will detect the new drive as being 'new' and wipe out anything stored on it - via serial number or something - or if it contains some sort of lookup table in the box itself for the EPG.

Hope that makes some sense...it's a bit late to get too technical :boring:

Cheers, Lee

5. Stevie G

Stevie G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    OK. Well if the drive doesn't stop squeeking I'm going to have to return it to Maxtor, so I'll try it then and post here either way.

Thanks!