1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone tried a Dreamcast through an AE300?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by blph60, Mar 23, 2003.

1. blph60

blph60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm considering ordering the AE300 from pricejapan. Until I get a digital STB I will mainly be viewing DVDs and Dreamcast games.

Has anyone tried a Dreamcast through the AE300 using a VGA adapter? I believe the resolution is 640x480p @60Hz. A Dreamcast looks so much better through a VGA monitor, I'm wondering if I can get as good results through the AE300.

Another newbie question, do PAL dvds have 576 lines of resolution, or 540 lines? I haven't really found a definitive answer. With the AE300 being 960x540, is there any significant loss of quality if a signal is downconverted from 576 lines?

Regards,
    Michael

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    PAL is normally 720x576 resolution nonsquare pixel.

I use an ae100. The picture being limited to 480 vertical res is bound to be a little softer than a 576 image. However bear in mind that the picture itself may not have that amount of resolution in it. My advice is to try it and see. I suspect the difference is negligble on the ae300. Its acceptable on the ae100 put it that way.