has anyone tried 6x9 subs?

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by dts_boy, Aug 22, 2004.

1. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    am about to buy an e46 bmw (2004 320!) and am thinking of replacing the standard rear 6.5" wuth 6x9 subs. has anyone used these before, or would it be better to just stick in some standard 6x9s. i have also noticed that JL Audio do 6.5" subs - i really want low end sound but don't want to sacrifice the boot space. stealth sub enclosures are too mush and diy isn't an option!

2. bazzason

bazzason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the genesis ones have been around for a while now, and have very good recommendations. they need to be IB, so no need for enclosures behind the drivers.

they give good low end presence, but nowhere near the same as an 8" or 10" dedicated woofer.

don't go with standard 6x9's - very few of these offer good quality audio and simply drag the soundstage to the rear of the car. spend your money on a good set of amped components for the front of the car (this should always be the first thing to do), then get a decent source unit, then amped 6x9 subs for the rear (if not going for a dedicated sub). if set up well it will sound good.

3. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    just what i wanted to hear, thanks! i have been looking at the genesis ones, i have a pioneer deh 77mp cd player; would this have enough power to drive them or is a power amp a must?

4. bazzason

bazzason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    your head unit might say 4x60w, but this will be peak power. it will realistically put our about 17w continuous RMS power.

think of your lovely speakers you are about to install. they are rated at between 50-125w RMS power handling. how much will your head unit really drive these speakers? not much, and as a result you will tweak the bass controls and increase the volume to make them louder. this will send a nice clipped signal to the speakers, resulting in distortion at best and burnt voice coils at worst.

you should definitely look to run these speakers off an amp - something that puts out about 2x100w RMS would get them moving nicely. if you can get something putting out more you will be laughing.

Amp this amp can be bridged to give 350w RMS mono signal into a 4 Ohm load, so you could buy the 8 Ohm speakers and run them in parallel off the bridged channel. set the crossover at about 80-100hz LPF and it should give you a nice bit of bass... :smashin:

alternatively using the same amp, you could buy the 4 Ohm versions and run them off 2-channels with 100w RMS stereo signal per channel.

5. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    i had a feeling someone would say that, i was just trying to save me pennies :blush: i think i may invest in a decent power as well then. BTW, how would you compare these 6x9 subs with the JL Audio 6.5" subs - the JL audios would fit straight in and would require no adaptors (6.5" to 6x9 brackets) to fit in the standard sized mount? thanks for the advice so far

6. bazzason

bazzason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do you mean the JL6W0 subwoofers? i think it's swings and roundabouts. both will deliver good, but not earth rumbling bass. the JL units will be much heavier, but may have better cone excursion. the JL units may require enclosures too. apparently 0.3cft per driver is about right.

either way, you will need decent amplification to get either speakers singing...