1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has Anyone Seen the Panny 65" 1080p @ IFA??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by cajieboy, Sep 7, 2005.

1. cajieboy

cajieboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've heard rumour of a new Panny 65" 1080p Plasma being unveiled at the IFA Show in Berlin. Does anyone have any news on this 65"er, or any 1080p Plasma Displays shown @ IFA? Thanks.

2. Damnyoureyes

Damnyoureyes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. cajieboy

cajieboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's a great site. Thanks. I think the Panasonic videos are due to post soon. This Panny 65" 1080p is what I've been waiting and hoping to see for a few years now. Home Theater size, and resolution to match. WOW, what a combo! The price quoted on Panasonic's site ain't bad either and translates to approx. $9000 US w/better deals for sure on the internet. Quite a drop in price, and if the market goes the way it's been going, this 65" size will be easily affordable for most folks.

What I'm ready to see is a shootout between this Panny 65"er, the Sharp LCD 65" Aquos and the Sony 70" Qualia!. Interesting indeed.

4. redpavlos

redpavlos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yes, I saw it at IFA, very impressive indeed, with an almost 3D image quality, very lifelike.

As were similar size (or even larger) displays from LG and Samsung.

But the problem with a show like IFA is that you really can't use it to make direct comparisons between different manufacturers' displays. They are located in different halls, and the quality of the source material was variable - even though mostly HD rather than SD.

While there was a commonly used source of HD football on several stands, the quality of this was not as good as it should have been - too many compression artefacts.

Suffice to say that Panasonic in my view did an excellent job to show off all their plasmas to good effect.

And with the right source pictures, 65" is definitely a nice size for home cinema.

I'll probably go for a 50" myself though, as these can look very good too, even if not 1080P, and I don't wish to wait much longer before purchasing.

And no, I haven't yet decided which one to get!

5. cajieboy

cajieboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, before I jump for joy over a large 1080p Plasma, I would like to know first if the Panny 65"er accepts native resolution 1920x1080p via DVI, and at which frequencies.

6. madshi

madshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Yes, exactly my thoughts. I'm not gonna buy a 1080p Plasma without native rate at at least 50Hz and 60Hz.

The Pioneer 61" 1080p plasma coming out in 1H 2006 might also be an option. It's likely to support 1080p24. I hope it will also support 50Hz and 60Hz. Then I might be sold.

7. cajieboy

cajieboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I'm trying to keep a close eye Pioneer, and their upcoming large displays. Definitely a contender, and their build quality seems to be a tad better. We'll see...

8. redpavlos

redpavlos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Please bear in mind that there are currently no plans to deliver 1080P 50/60, whether by broadcast or non-broadcast means. It's not even on the planning horizon yet.

What was shown at IFA was almost certainly 1080i (or 24P) sources upconverted by the display electronics.

Of course, it's certainly of interest for someone wishing to use an external scaler that delivers 1080P 50/60. This will be HDMI, by the way.

9. madshi

madshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    That's exactly the reason why we want 1080p50/60 inputs. I'll not buy an 1080p plasma and replace it in 2-3 years with a new model. I'm gonna keep it for longer than that. But in 2-3 years we might have external scalers which can do motion componsated deinterlacing.

10. kamaran

kamaran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Isnt there also the issue of blu-ray and HD-DVD outputting 1080p to consider?

11. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Had thought about 50" plasma 1080, but could consider upgrade to 61" or 65" plasma if:

Must have:
    • 1920x1080 native pixel resolution
    • 50Hz + 60Hz input at 1920x1080 via digital signal path, no fixed 60Hz only
    • multiple 50Hz + 60Hz internal frame rate buffer, no nasty changing everything to 60Hz or 72Hz or 100Hz or the like
    Should have:
    • 24Hz / 24fps input at 1920x1080 via digital signal path (with no frame rate conversion)
    • 10bit colour signal via digital signal path (or higher), not limited to 8-bit
    Could have:
    • 72Hz / 75Hz input at 1920x1080 via digital signal path for 3:3 pulldown (with no frame rate conversion)
    • More than one digital signal input

If Panny or Pio deliver that in H1-2006 then I will replace my well loved 50" plasma; any less than 'must have' and it's no sale to me in 2006.

StooMonster

12. cajieboy

cajieboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You betcha, and a lot more. The upcoming 1080p Plasmas will be the resolution standard in which all other displays will be compared, including the other upcoming video tech SED. Anything of less resolution will be considered "ED" or Enhanced Definition". We're talking 2006-2007 here, but you're not going to have to wait long, as the first 1080p Plasma Panny 65"er) is scheduled to ship Nov.1, 2005.

13. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Yes, but can it handle 1920x1080 @ 50Hz over HDMI? That is the key question for those of us who don't live in 60Hz countries.

StooMonster

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Stoo, the good news is that the rapidly expanding European market can no longer be ignored, not even by Matsush*ta! They brought forward the launch of the 8 series for the Europeans, they won't dare ignore 50Hz. And of course, 1080i is native to the display, so anyone with a recent scaler can probably send native to the display, with no FRC. Not so sure about 24FPS, I know where you are coming from, but it's a minority interest, so they may not worry.

15. cajieboy

cajieboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right now, I'm uncertain what these very first 1080p Plasmas will be offering in terms of inputs on native resolution, or at what frequencies & frame rates. This is exciting news though, and raises the PQ Bar waaay up there. Plasma Mfg.'ers see the handwriting on the wall, and are trying to compete & position themselves against upcoming video tech, ie. SED, SXRD, and possibly OLED later on. THIS IS THE NEXT GENERATION.

16. sheggsl

sheggsl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Saw this also at IFa, imho probably the best Plasma at the show, I preferred it to the 82" Samsung. Interesting thing is whilst I was standing there admiring the screen and trying to chat up the marketing beauty next to it (some of those German babes do have incredible legs) , 3 top Pioneer PDP executives from Japan came over to look at the screen, one could see that they were overtly impressed even in the Japanese understated manner, they must have spent over 20 minutes porring over the screen, looking at its different aspects in minutae. I had a feeling that if there wasn't anyone around they probably will have the stripped the unit down to the bare bones

The lady did mention that the really impressive thing was being able to get 1080p to that screen size, apparently they are the only company that have managed it so far. The next step is to migrate downwards to 50", however that is prbbably a few years off. I for one will be getting the new 506s once they are available

17. cajieboy

cajieboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting post. Supposedly, Pioneer is coming out w/a 1080p 61" Plasma of its own in Q1 2006. These two companies are the each others biggest competitors in Plasma TV's, and for me I'm always back & forth between their model lines. I'm curious if Fujitsu will be entering this 1080p Game for their 63"er in the near future, as their 50"er is considered the best in its size.

18. kamaran

kamaran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Sorry to go off topic,

Did you get to see the new Pioneer 6th generation screens? How did they compare to the plasma's on the market at the moment?

19. sheggsl

sheggsl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Kamaran,

they Looked very good in particular the 50". There was distinct improvement in their black levels and the DVD from the their new 989 to the plasma was simply gorgeous. With regards to general aesthetics, initially I thought I would prefer the original 5 series look with the big black bezel, however on seeing the 6 series I think I prefer this, smaller bezel still looks very good and has a classy look about it. Wish I could say the same for the Pioneer ladies, don't how they managed it, however they seemed to have the ropiest girls at the whole show.

No doubt I will be getting myself the new 50" once they become available

20. madshi

madshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    @sheggsl: Let's say Pioneer will put the 6G stuff into the next 61" plasma with full 1080p resolution. How do you think it will stack up against Panasonic's 1080p plasma? Or in other words: Disregarding the resolution and size difference, do you prefer Panasonic's new 65" PQ or do you prefer Pioneer's 6G PQ?

21. sheggsl

sheggsl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've always had a preference for Pioneer plasmas over Panasonics, so I suppose in that scenario yes I probably would go for the Pioneer 6G 1080p 61" if and when it appears.

22. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    After reading this news,I just wonder if its a good idea buying the new pioneer 506 perhaps better wait till 2006 for the 507.

23. paolo999

paolo999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Strictly speaking, a 1080p display refreshing at 50/60 has the ability to show better quality 1080i than one refreshing/processing final stage at 25/30.

24. solger

solger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After seeing the English-language press release about the November launch of Panasonic's first 65" 1080p plasma screen on Panasonic's Japanese site, I emailed Panasonic UK to ask about the approximate release date and price expected for it in the UK. Perhaps unsurprisingly, I received a very non-committal response, as follows:

'Thank you for your email enquiry.

We launch a series of products throughout the year. The first of those
    products are to be introduced at our trade fair in the spring, and
    unfortunately we will not receive any further information regarding new
    releases until that time.

I trust that this information has been of assistance to you. However, of
    course, if you should have any further queries, please do not hesitate to
    contact us on ...' (tel. no and email address supplied).

Essentially the indication would appear to be that the screen will not be released to the UK market before the spring trade fair; and how far after this is to be decided. Since I am a complete novice both to this forum and to the weird and wonderful world of audio-visual marketing, could anyone please fill me on on when Panasonic's trade fair usually happens?

This apart, it occurred to me that once the screen is available in Japan it might at least in theory be possible to do a deal with a Japanese retailer to ship one to Europe. But I expect that this would result in being charged three kinds of tax: Japanese VAT on the product and shipping; UK (or other Euoprean country) VAT on the already-Japanese-VAT-inflated product and shipping (to be paid at customs), and then any tariff duty on top of all that. Just how much extra you'd end up paying is something I can only wonder about, but I would guess that, given that the Japanese-VAT-inclusive RRP of the screen is about 4800 pounds (once converted from Yen - I checked this out), delivery of such a massively heavy object might easily be another 500 pounds (unless there are cheaper options I don't know about but would be glad to hear about if anyone else does!), then UK VAT would add another 927 pounds to the total, leaving, even before any possible tariff duty, a total of close to 6250 pounds to pay. On that basis, it might well be worth waiting until the UK launch, but only if the UK RRP is in the 5000 pound region, which in my caution borne of ignorance I presume to be very unlikely.

Another thing I don't know is whether plasmas sold in Japan would be fundamentally compatible with European electricity supplies or not. Would a transformer be required, or just an adapter? And would picture quality suffer in the process?

I guess there might be some kind of a cost saving inherent in several people clubbing together to pay for a shipment of 65" plasmas from Japan - the cost per unit would be a lot less then, I imagine, than otherwise. But that would be financially complicated at the customs end - the people would have to trust each other all to pay their share or customs would not release the merchandise at all.

Oh well - just some thoughts.

25. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    £6250? Is that all? My 50" Panny cost more than that three years ago!

All you newcomers with your cheap-as-chips screens ... there are people on this board who paid more like £10,000 for 42" 480-line screens not that many years ago.

£5,000 for a 65" 1920x1080 plasma sounds like a bargain to me, especially as current 1366x768 61"-65" models appear to cost approximately £8,000 (inc VAT).

StooMonster

26. sheggsl

sheggsl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I doubt if it is going to be that cheap, bear in mind that the 82" 1080p plasma has a price of circa 120K Euros.

27. madshi

madshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Panasonic already announced their 65" 1080p plasma to cost about USD 9000 in Japan. We don't know how much it will cost in other countries, though.

28. solger

solger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right - 990,000 Yen in Japan, which equals, at present exchange rates, 9023 US dollars, or 4907 UK pounds. Looks as though exchange rate fluctuations have already upped the UK-equivalent cost by 50-100 pounds since I last checked the equivalents a week or so ago! But it still works out under 5000 pounds, and that's the RRP in Japan from launch in November (street price sure to be less, if stores in Japan work as ones around here do). So I vote that we in this forum who are interested in this product keep the price a hot topic. Maybe, just maybe, a Panasonic rep will listen.... But at the same time, it would surprise me pleasantly if the official UK RRP is significantly less than 6000 pounds come next year's launch.

29. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,940
    Hello all

At this time there is no release plan for a 1080P 65" Display from Panasonic Business Systems UK - I'm sure it'll come through at some point, just don't expect one for Christmas 2005.

Also worth noting that there is no release date set as yet for an 8 Series 65" model - the 7 Series 65" will continue alongside the NEW 8 Series 42" and 50" models.

solger - I think your delivery price looks a 'little low; I'd say more like 1.5K for shipping inc insurance (that's if you can get such a large piece of glass insured). You'd have Zero tech support and back up in the UK if you had problems - I'd keep saving until they have an official release in the UK.

Best regards

Joe

PS StooMonster - how many should we put you down for (assuming its NR at 50/60 Hz? :)

30. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,940
    madshi

I believe we'll now see quite different product paths from Pioneer for its PlasmaTV and Plasma Display technology.

The 'Direct Filter' technology used in the XDE PlasmaTV's is unlikely to ever appear on the 'Commercial' MXE models as its simply not robust enough for that market.

I'm sure too Pioneer will be desperate to be the first to market with a 1080P range - though the technology required to sand blast the pixel pits for 1080P at 50" and 42" is going to have to be very special.

If you ever visit any of the big manufacturers manufacturing or technology sites you can be assured there is a locked room somewhere full of the latest offerings from all its mains rivals :)

Best regards

Joe