1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone seen or played with the new NEC's?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ash71, Jan 21, 2005.

1. ash71

ash71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi guys Just wondering if anyone out there has seen or played about with the NEC HT410 or HT510 projectors, great prices but they don't seem to have some of the niceties - HDMI/DVI inputs or Faroudja/Silicon Images Prog scan processors.
    If I was to use a decent prog scan DVD player I would assume the projector would by pass its internal processor anyway, true?
    DVI input might be nice in the long run though.

The HT510 seems very tempting with a 1024 x 576 resolution considering its in the same price bracket as the SP4805 and new H30A.

NEC doesn't seem to get much of a mention on this forum but I'd love to hear from those of you who own one of their projectors - quality, reliability, problems etc.

thanks guys

2. ash71

ash71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just an addition to the above. I've read other people voicing this, surely we must be near a price crash in the mid res projectors, 1024 x 576 (or even decent price/quality 1280 x 720 projectors...... asking too much too soon??)as the lower res versions seem to be coming down rapidly.
    There seems there is a lot of great projectors to be had between £1000 to £1300 in the 848 x 480 section but the 1024 x 576 models seem to be priced mostly on the wrong side of £2k which brings me back to the NEC HT510 at £1275 quoted in What hi-fi. Or was that a mis-print and I'm just getting my hopes up!

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    I have an NEC HT1000 and think it's a cracking pj even now, and it's true contrast is still better than some newer projectors. I've just picked up an Optoma H77 and I think the NEC is still better in some respects. I've not had any problems with it at all in nearly two years.

Gary.

4. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I also had a NEC HT1000 but only briefly due to the throw.

However, amazing build and image quality. A top end product in every way.

Cap :)

5. Markie Boy

Markie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Perth, Western Australia (Originally Ireland)
    Ratings:
    +228
    Ive played with both the HT410 and HT510. Over here, prices are AU$2,499 and AU$3,599 respectively. THe HT410 produces a fine picture, with the slightest hint of screendoor (on brighter parts of the image0. The HT510 had a far smoother picture, SD pretty much eliminated. However, its hard to quantify if a resolution increase alone justifies an AU$1,100 difference.

6. ash71

ash71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the info guys.

I have to say my only experience with projectors has been with a 480x848 LCD resolution projector and that has left me a feeling underwhelmed. (I have seen several DLP projectors in pubs, bad place to compare I know, bright room and beer goggles etc!! I can remember a demo of one of the first SIM DLP projectors from 4 years ago in Sevenoaks Hi Fi looking very good)

I constantly felt the need/had to adjust the contrast & brightness levels through the various films I tried, Aliens, Toy story, Fifth Element, The Thin Red Line to name a few. Apart from some screen door (on a 7 foot borrowed screen) I didn't feel the resolution let the projector down, I was watching from approx 11 feet from the screen (it was a Phililps Astaire projector in a darkened room with all lights off) I just couldn't get a contrast/brightness setting I was happy with, shadow/black detail tended towards dark grey which seemed to wash out the brighter parts of the image.
    DLP projectors seem to have a big advantage with contrast over LCD according to most manufacturers/reviewres spec's. My feelings with the LCD projector was it really lacked contrast blacks had no detail/weren't black and the highlights washed out or turned to glaring white patches.

As demo'ing various PJ's isn't an option due to my location my question is this.. considering I'll be using the PJ only for DVD and a few LD's (remember them?) do I buy a SP4805 or H30A at 480 x848 with DVI and decent prog scan processors (I have a Pioneer Dv646 which I like and don't want to change...yet...) or go for a NEC HT510 at 576 x 1024 but no DVI input????

As Leelo says Pleeasse Helllppp...

7. ash71

ash71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    my mistake, my DVD player is a DV656 which has component ouputs (interlaced) which I'd use and S-Video for the LD player

8. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    It seems you don't need anything more than xga or similar, so that's the resolution I'd look at. The HT510 (yup - £1275) looks good though I don't know how it compares to the Ht1000 which has higher contrast and Faroudja image processing. 3 years warranty is excellent.

The Mitsubishi HC900 looks better on paper and under £1600, and 2 years warranty. The colour whel has a white segment to boost brightness, so this might be where it gets its increased contrast from. This is often at the expense of colour accuracy, so see if you can find a review.

The cine4home review is pretty good, but they still only manage to get 1900:1 CR without the white segment, and 2200:1 with it. Overall it still seems like a good machine:

http://www.online-translator.com/ur...&transliterate=on&psubmit2.x=39&psubmit2.y=14

Gary.