1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone seen a Sharp 'P' Series yet?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Rob Sheep, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Rob Sheep

Rob Sheep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, has anyone laid eyes on a Sharp LC-37P50E yet? If so what is the picture like? :clap:

2. DangerMouse!

DangerMouse!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I saw the new 32P50E yesterday at John Lewis (Southhampton), next to it was the current GA5 model. The picture on P was a huge improvement on the GA5.

Looking at the same ITV feed you could see blocky and smeary patches on the GA5 but none on P50.

3. Rob Sheep

Rob Sheep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi DangerMouse,

I managed to see one yesterday, I was very impressed with the picture. I was never too impressed with the GA5's. I also need to say that the P Series is a big improvement over the Toshiba WL56p range of LCDs'.

4. DangerMouse!

DangerMouse!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Did you manged to see any DVD playback?

What worries me is the 540 res.

What res DVD's encoded at 576 or 720?

My Denon 2910 outputs at 720 & 1080 over HDMI so I'm not sure it would cope.

5. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    DVD is 480 or 576 ish lines of info. 720 is high definition. Your Denon upscales to 720/1080. Whether the P series would be better is how good the Denon makes of the upscaling. It is possible that the P series would look better with original 576 material than another screen with 576 upscaled to 720/1080 and possibly scaled yet again by the display. But then, the delemer would be that you had paid for something in the Denon and were not using it. Of course, this would only affect DVD viewing as the Denon does no upscale external sources.

-Ian

6. Rob Sheep

Rob Sheep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I said in another thread, I've seen it with a DVD and it looked very very impressive, and I've seen it with an upscaled DVD - so the display was down scaling it and it looked better, don't ask me why it just did... :confused:

I've a Denon 2910 and there is something funny about how that machine upscales, I have a Toshiba 37WL56 which is going back because of problems, and there is no way you can tell the difference between the scales as the display re-scales any incoming picture using its own scaler. As that screen is 768, the instructions say it is best fed a 1080i signal? So what it is doing, your guess is as good as mine.

The Sharp had a grain free picture, very smooth, very good contrast and crisp. Normal DVD's look very good, especially prog-scan. I want one!