Has anyone returned from an EU/EEA airport back to the UK (passport Q)

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
Looks like about one plane. They could always choose to call people forward in the other queue if they aren’t doing anything. :)

david1974b

Oh. Those the photos of those queues of British holidaymakers on this thread and the impact of brexit are extremely long.

Those photos are telling a completely different story to the one told by Vote Leave in 2016 as to how long or how short it would take to get through. And also is a completely different story to what brexiteers in here have been saying has been happening at the airports with British holidaymakers post brexit.

Last edited:

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
Oh. Those the photos of those queues of British on this thread and the impact of brexit are extremely long.

Those photos are relling a completely different story to the one told by Vote Leave in 2016 as to how long or show short it would take to get through. And also is a completely different story to what brexiteers have been saying has been happening at the airports with British holidaymakers post brexit.
Really? Well we've had very different experiences, and from that photo that doesn't look like a long queue at all. At most one plane if that.

Colin London

That is probably not the whole queue, btw.
It doesn’t matter how many pieces of evidence are put up - there will always be an attempt to downplay. Of course it is conveniently illegal in most countries to take photos in these passport areas.

There are plenty of other textual postings on Twitter reporting issues but as they don’t have photos they will just be decried by the Brexit defenders as not being valid evidence.

psikey

Distinguished Member
Well here is another one:
My first thoughts:

Where is this a photo from?
Had a plane of EU citizens landed at the same time to compare?
Is this a location where EU citizens can travel during the Pandemic?
5 day old tweet and only 1 reply, 2 likes, wow, seriously interesting post :rotfl:

Post-Doctoral Fellow in Semantics @UniOslo
| Formerly Lecturer @OxfordLinguists
| Syntax/semantics

And a totally obvious intellectual anti-Brexiter :rotfl: Just caught one of tweets he's following "I mean, I know some people argue honey is vegan, but that doesn't mean it's a plant" :rotfl: Say no more..... my sides are hurting.

Last edited:

Colin London

My first thoughts:

Where is this a photo from?
Had a plane of EU citizens landed at the same time to compare?
Is this a location where EU citizens can travel during the Pandemic?
5 day old tweet and only 1 reply, 2 likes, wow, seriously interesting post :rotfl:

Post-Doctoral Fellow in Semantics @UniOslo
| Formerly Lecturer @OxfordLinguists
| Syntax/semantics

And a totally obvious intellectual anti-Brexiter :rotfl: Just caught one of tweets he's following "I mean, I know some people argue honey is vegan, but that doesn't mean it's a plant" :rotfl:Say no more..... my sides are hurting.
Does any of that negate the evidence in the picture?

Clearly an anti-Brexiter is more likely to post such evidence - so your tactic is to negate such evidence just because of that.

Don’t worry - will keep posting examples as I find them and we’ll see how deep your box of put-downs and diversions goes.

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member

Clearly an anti-Brexiter is more likely to post such evidence - so your tactic is to negate such evidence just because of that.

Don’t worry - will keep posting examples as I find them and we’ll see how deep your box of put-downs and diversions goes.
Have you ever travelled before Brexit through say Luton Airport? Remember the queues that were there then?

psikey

Distinguished Member

OK then, can you at least say where this photo is from and if there were any EU passenger planes landed? For all I know from that photo it could just be of 1 UK flight landing in an EU country. Exactly the queue I would see if landing in Cyprus from my holiday while inside EU.

Colin London

OK then, can you at least say where this photo is from and if there were any EU passenger planes landed? For all I know from that photo it could just be of 1 UK flight landing in an EU country. Exactly the queue I would see if landing in Cyprus from my holiday while inside EU.
As it happens I can tell you exactly where that is. It is the exit check to the non-EU departure gates at Oslo airport. As you night be able to ascertain from the employment location of the poster.

And I can from my own experience at that very same location tell you that three years ago I was able to avoid the very same huge queue by using my British passport in the automatic gates on the right, meaning I could spend an extra 45 minutes at least in the bar.

Of course now British citizens have to queue with all the other non-Schengen nationalities as we need to be checked and stamped to leave the Schengen zone.

I think that answers your queries - your updated response now please.

psikey

Distinguished Member
As it happens I can tell you exactly where that is. It is the exit check to the non-EU departure gates at Oslo airport. As you night be able to ascertain from the employment location of the poster.

And I can from my own experience at that very same location tell you that three years ago I was able to avoid the very same huge queue by using my British passport in the automatic gates on the right, meaning I could spend an extra 45 minutes at least in the bar.

Of course now British citizens have to queue with all the other non-Schengen nationalities as we need to be checked and stamped to leave the Schengen zone.

I think that answers your queries - your updated response now please.
Well I'm not going to call you a liar so if that is a consequence of Bexit some of the time then so be it.

Colin London

’So be it’. Is that as far as you are prepared to go to back down after trying to belittle and negate someone’s evidence just on the basis of that person being against Brexit?

Oslo and Frankfurt airports are two very good examples of the significant delays caused to non-Schengen nationals on exit because as they are hubs they have a larger number of non-EU gates, and I remember both examples clearly because of the benefit I gained from using the electronic gates rather than queuing with crowds of other nationalities, in the knowledge that I was about to lose that right.

So, unfortunately for you, a bad choice to try and deflect on.

psikey

Distinguished Member
’So be it’. Is that as far as you are prepared to go to back down after trying to belittle and negate someone’s evidence just on the basis of that person being against Brexit?

Oslo and Frankfurt airports are two very good examples of the significant delays caused to non-Schengen nationals on exit because as they are hubs they have a larger number of non-EU gates, and I remember both examples clearly because of the benefit I gained from using the electronic gates rather than queuing with crowds of other nationalities, in the knowledge that I was about to lose that right.

giphy.gif :rolleyes:

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member

It’s also a choice of those countries. The UK allows EU citizens (and those from several other regions) through smart gates.

Colin London

It’s also a choice of those countries. The UK allows EU citizens (and those from several other regions) through smart gates.
It is the Schengen regulations, the implications of which were clear even before the referendum if we chose to leave the single market. There is no victimisation here. We knew what we were letting ourselves in for. The fact the UK unilaterally lets EU citizens use gates has zero bearing on whether the EU should do the same.

The UK position is not all it sounds like though as many EU citizens are now pulled aside when trying to use the gates to be questioned about the purpose of their visit etc.

The new ETIAS system should allow us to use gates again, but of course we will be paying for that privilege.

psikey

Distinguished Member
It is the Schengen regulations, the implications of which were clear even before the referendum if we chose to leave the single market. There is no victimisation here. We knew what we were letting ourselves in for. The fact the UK unilaterally lets EU citizens use gates has zero bearing on whether the EU should do the same.

The UK position is not all it sounds like though as many EU citizens are now pulled aside when trying to use the gates to be questioned about the purpose of their visit etc.

The new ETIAS system should allow us to use gates again, but of course we will be paying for that privilege.
Well, that's Brexit o_O Which we know you didn't want but not the way it went.

I certainly won't be loosing sleep over this possible minimal extra inconvenience.

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
I agree. We have always had queues at borders. It’s nothing new and depends on so many factors. Getting worked up about it now seems a bit odd. In practice there really isn’t a material difference in the time it takes.

Laureline

Not totally true, Frankfurt allows US , South Korean & even Chinese Citizens to use their Egates

The Federal Republic of Germany has signed agreements according the mutual use of automated border control systems with the United States of America, the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China and the Republic of Korea.

Apparently Rome's Airport lets Australians, Canadians , Israelis, Japanese, South Koreans and US Citizens

So it's certainly something the UK Government can negotiate

Colin London

Not totally true, Frankfurt allows US , South Korean & even Chinese Citizens to use their Egates

Apparently Rome's Airport lets Australians, Canadians , Israelis, Japanese, South Koreans and US Citizens

So it's certainly something the UK Government can negotiate
These agreements will be superseded by ETIAS systems though which will apply to all countries that have a visa-free travel arrangement with the EU. So i'm sure we will now need to wait for that now.

Chinese need a Schengen Visa as well.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom