Has anyone returned a faulty phone to O2?

richcandy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have a W800, which I got from O2 online. I really like the phone. Unfortunately the joystick stopped working properly. I called O2 and they gave me an address and an authority number. They said to keep everything except the handset and the battery and to send it back and they would send me a new handset.

My questions are.

1) They said that I would have my new phone in three not more than working days from when they receive my old handset. Has any returned a handset to O2 due to a fault and if so how long did it take, to get the new handset?

2) Will I just get a new handset or will I also get another charger etc?

Rich

I returned an XDA Mini S as my first had a dead pixel on the TFT. in my case they posted a new one straight out (got it within 3 days from memory) and this came with a jiffy bag for me to send the old one back in.

I only posted my handset back (not even the battery) but i got a complete new boxed one in from O2 with extra battery/charger etc..:smashin:

althiugh this was within first 14 days after purchase.

I had a Motorola V635 with o2 online 12 months ago and had to return it 3 times. Each time I returned it to an O2 shop and it was returned having been repaired. The 3rd time I returned it I was promised a replacement but it again came back repaired. I complained but was told it was down to the manufacturer and not O2.

I have now got an upgrade and consigned the 635 to the scrap heap.

Each time the phone went away it took between 5 and 10 working days to get it back

I think if your phone is less than 28 days old they will replace it but beyond that it will be repaired

After calling O2 and making arrangements to send my faulty k750i (5 months old, broken joystick and ear speaker) to XL Logistics, I posted it on the 15th of Feb by special delivery. Then on the 16th I got an email saying they'd received it. The guy on the phone said I'd have it back with a week so I genrously waited 11 days then gave them a call on Monday 27th. I then discovered that there was some mysterious problem with my order and was told to fax them both proof of sending the phone (lucky I used special delivery and not just their freepost) and also the returns code given to me in the original call inorder to release the phone, whatever that meant. I didnt have the stuff they wanted with me at work so the next day I sent the fax. Jusy my luck, the number they gave me was incorrect which meant another 20 minutes on the phone to explain the problem to someone else and try to get the correct number. I sugested I email them a scan however they said they dont have an email address for public use. Anyway, I finally got a working fax number sent it off. The next evening I got a phone call to say they'd received the fax and were going to post the phone the next day (which would have been Thurssday of last week).

Well, I still have no phone. That's nearly 3 weeks and all in all it's been quite a sh*tty customer service experience :thumbsdow

To draw comparison, when I broke my iPod I had a new one back in my pocket 6 days.

lol, wish I knew that 3 weeks ago.

Hi Guys

Not having much fun. O2 are saying that they have not received the phone back yet. However Royal mail have said that they have signed for it. They have asked me for a copy of the special delivery slip.

Not happy.

Rich

Does anyone know if I go into an O2 shop will they rent me a handset. Or sell me an unlocked pay as you go one?

Rich

They do supposedly have "Loan" phones, but everytime i took my phone in for repair (XDA2s..many repairs...long story) they never had any in stock.

there must be someone you know you can borrow a clunky old Nokia off for a few day though?

richcandy said:
Hi Guys

Not having much fun. O2 are saying that they have not received the phone back yet. However Royal mail have said that they have signed for it. They have asked me for a copy of the special delivery slip.

Not happy.

Rich

Savage. Exactly the same has happened to me, as described above.

It's because there's too many companies involved and the communication between obviously isnt very good. O2 outsource their repairs to some shady XL Logistics.

I actually just called them again today and was again asked to send proof of sending, so I point blank refused on the basis I had went to all the hassle of doing that last week. The O2 guy then went to speak to his supvisor and came back to say the order had been escalated.

WTF? I was told last week it had been sent out! It's also been escalated about 5 times!

Aparently they're going to get back to me later today... needless to say I wont be holding my breath.

I'm seriously not happy about this. Not only have I not had a phone for 3 weeks but I'm still paying line rental on it.

Anyone think I can get some recompense for this?

I will be certainly putting in a formal complaint as this is some of the most p*ss poor customer serivce I've had to deal with.

Anyway, my advise is just hassle them constantly. I tried the nice and polite route and they just lied to me and fobbed me off with crap excuses.

O2 suck...

I rang CS about the fact that my phone had been back 3 times for a total of about 6 weeks. They have refunded me 6 weeks line rental to my account.

I have also been offered a loan phone each time I returned the phone for repair at the o2 shop. They ask for a credit card deposit of £40 which is returned when the loan phone is returned.

6 weeks line rental? That's not bad really.

When my phone does turn up I will definately be giving them a call to express my dismay.

And if it breaks again, then I will be sure to go to the local O2 shop instead.

I'm still waiting on a call or email from them btw, the call or email I was promised I would receive today to confirm the phone had been sent back to me.

Bloody amatures. They will feel my wrath tomorrow :devil:

You will have more chance of getting something from them if you are nice to the operator thats dealing with you. Just remember he isn't the numpty that lost your phone - he's there to help you. If you lose your temper he's going to be less willing to assist;)

Good Luck

O2's after support service is pretty crap, once you have the phone and it develops problems with it your just best off buying a new phone, especially the PDA type phones, i mean they always have problems, most of them is not a fault with the hardware like the xda2s, but it's a software faalt, O2 have crap rom's, for there XDA phone's, I mean there only good for buying the phones off them, once you buy it your end up removing there crappy software from it, and I usually flash my phone with another manufacturers ROM, I had an Xda2s and it was a common problem that the voice stoped walking now and agin when making/recieving calls, this was due to a fault in the bluetooth software, disabling the bluetooth startup fixed this, but of course O2 never admitted to this fault, there call staff don't know about these types of things and they just waste your tiem telling you to send your phoen in to them for repair when oyu know they cannot fix the problem as it is not a hardware fault, anyway needless to say 1 year after the xda2s came out they released an upgraded rom which fixed all issues and the phone ran fine...I got an Xda mini s off them 2 months ago, and it has software problems, guess I have ot wait another yer for O2 to release a more stable rom..., anywya if you have and XDA type phone you can forget about any type of customer service, i'd just say take out insurance, and if anything goes wrong with your phone, drop it fro ma 5 storey building or chuck it in a river and selll the replacement....

swhits said:
You will have more chance of getting something from them if you are nice to the operator thats dealing with you. Just remember he isn't the numpty that lost your phone - he's there to help you. If you lose your temper he's going to be less willing to assist;)

Good Luck

Dont worry, I know that being nasty on the phone doesnt get you anywhere, and that it's not the operators fault (although a "cant be arsed with your call" attitude is).

I'll certainly be telling them straight though. I mean, if you cant complain about stuff then you'll never change anything. I feel I have been given a poor service and am therefor going to tell them about it.

There's obviously civilised ways to do this though :smashin:

RandomLee said:
There's obviously civilised ways to do this though :smashin:

That was the point I was making - you wouldn't believe the number of people that don't realise this though:thumbsup:

The plot sickens...

I just got off the phone to them again and after a few games of phone tennis between CS and the repairs dept I've been told that because I have used the SIM card in another phone then I'm not entitled to a refund on my line rental. Hmmm, I'm totally unhappy about that as I had no choice but to borrow a phone of someone.

They also said I would definately have the phone back in the next 5 - 7 working days (3rd time I've heard that), which will take it up to 4 weeks since they confirmed they had received it for repair.

This really isnt on... 4 weeks to get a replacement handset? I'm a reasonable person so 2 weeks I could handle, 3 is severly pushing it but 4 is just taking the p*ss! It's not like I'm even getting a brand new handset. That's if I even get it next week.

Is there anything I can do now? I'm thinking about calling Consumer Advice about it....... or Watchdog (not really, lol).

Cheers

Just a little bit of an update. I called O2 yesterday to see if they had any news with regards to when I would receive my phone. The first person that I spoke to said that they had not received my broken handset back yet. The second said that they had but the new one had not been sent yet and it would be next week. I then called customer service as I was by now very unhappy. They said that its been sent. I asked why did the returns department not tell me this, customer service said I don’t know. Also when I look at my account on line it states that its been sent. I hope when I get home that its there. However I would not like to bet on it!!!

Rich

Did you get your phone in the end Rich? Or were they telling pokies again?

It's 4 weeks today and still dont have mine back.

I called them earlier and nicely asked what's going on. Even the operator himself seemed p*ssed off that it's taken so long and said that he thought it was unacceptable I've waited so long. He said he would get his manager on the case and it should be with me in a further 3 - 5 working days.

Can anyone advise any futher measures I can take? I know it's not the operators fault but surely someone must be held accountable.

They way I see it, if you dont complain then companies always get away with screwing you over.

swhits said:
I rang CS about the fact that my phone had been back 3 times for a total of about 6 weeks. They have refunded me 6 weeks line rental to my account.
:mad: What a joke - the line rental refund did not show up on my bill and after querying it with O2 they cannot find any record of my conversation and have stated as there is no record of the conversation they cannot credit the account. This is after a number of phone calls to CS.

Unfortunately even being nice:) didn't get me anywhere. Only option now is a letter via snail mail and hope that this has an effect. Failing that my families 3 O2 accounts will be going elsewhere next year:(

Good luck with your phones guys O2 CS seems to have gone down the pan.

All i can suggest is www.ofcom.org.uk

I had a complaint with Orange a number of years ago, after abysmal customer service directly with Orange I was vexed enough to refer everything to the Regulator...

Funnily enough a couple of days after i sent the letter I my problem was resolved and I had 3months line rental credited to me!

I believe you now need to lodge an official complaint with your provider before going to the regulator, but that is the reason it exits. If you're motivated enough it should get sorted!

JD

Thanks - I hadn't thought of Ofcom. I'll include that within my letter and see what they say.

Finally got my phone back on Saturday and it looks to be in brand new condition. No scratches or marks and a sticker over the screen. It certainly doesnt look or feel like a refurbished one.

I cant be bothered persuing a complaint now and have put the phone on eBay with a 512MB mem stick and all accessores.

PM me if interested. Think I'm going to buy a D600 instead.

o2 are bloody useless the only way you can be sure of your phone getting there or back is to take it into one of their branches.
I have had to take my XDA2s 3 times my XDA2i 4 times and in the end they only gave me a refurbished one back!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :thumbsdow

ive returned a sony ericcson k850i, ive had it 5 months now, and its been returned 3 times, according to the staff at o2, after 3 times of returning it, i am allowed to change my phone, all been well, i thought yeah ill do that, (ok , its a limited choice) but thought anything can be better than this! only to find out it is purely the handset, the new phone does not even come boxed, no charger, no data cable, no software, no headset, apparently i have to buy these seperately? has any one else had these problems with o2? if so, what did you do about it? if anything? its totally out of order cos you pay your money for a new phone, that come boxed with accessories. if i had a spare £400 to cancel my contract then i would do it today and move to another provider. ive always praised o2 and got many people to join, after this experience i'd never get anyone else to join.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom