Has anyone realised a no deal hard brexit means the end of minimum wage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's my point. You're, understandably, not really willing to just shrug your shoulders and accept a result that you feel would damage the country, yet you tell others (who don't necessarily agree with your political viewpoint) that they should, "just vote them out" if they're not happy, which is a hollow gesture when it will be 5 years of the damage that others see as likely before they could even have the chance of voting them out.

As I said, it's just my opinion on the simple statement, I'm not trying to change politics :smashin:
I literally just said I'd be willing to wait for the next election.

I'd not want Corbyn in power for 5 minutes, let alone 5 years. But it it happens I'll wait till the next election. Even though whatever he does could be undone, I'd rather not suffer the damage in the meantime. But I'd accept it if he wins.

I really don't know what point you are trying to make. Seems you are trying to make me out to be hypocritical about what I'd do if a government I didn't like was passing laws I didn't want.

I've been ultra clear, I'd accept it is how our democracy works. We get a say roughly every 5 years so you have to make that count for the policies you want to see brought forward.

Has anyone realised the above statement about a no deal brexit? If we get a soft brexit with some king of free movement of Labour,(evvin with limits) will mean we'd have to keep NMW, whereas a no deal means we can do as we please and scrap it? Did you realise this?

How wrong are you? Let us count the ways.

1. Minimum wage has nothing to do with the EU.
2. Not all EU countries even have it.
3. Any scrapping of any rights would be political suicide for the party that did it. We got the rights we have without the EU.

So was this project fear? Remainer ignorance what?
EU.JPG

Last edited:
I know where you’re coming from with regards to the other half of your post but the “just vote them out” response is the same old mantra.
Because it's correct and I note it triggers the same old mantra from you every time.

We have a political system where those in charge rely on our votes to be in power. The EU's heads don't. They aren't answerable to an electorate, ours are.

Has anyone realised the above statement about a no deal brexit? If we get a soft brexit with some king of free movement of Labour,(evvin with limits) will mean we'd have to keep NMW, whereas a no deal means we can do as we please and scrap it? Did you realise this?

A no deal means we realise our own destiny and the elected government carrying out its obligations and policies within the boundaries of our democratic process; without interference or directives from outside bureaucratic organisations.

Colin seems a bit confused. Perhaps it was late.

First off, I voted leave. Secondly, I'm not a labour supporter, I can't stand Corbyn. It's pretty well documented that a no deal brexit will mean an economic slump and loss of jobs. And recent strikes in the last 18 months has put unions under the spotlight. Inflation was and is rising as wages rise. A lot of influential people didn't want this. I know that minimum wage is not guaranteed by the EU, and in world politics the UK always seem to play fairly, see the foreign aid policy. So if we were tied to Europe we wouldn't want to be seen to be the bar guys of Europe by scrapping NMW. Dominic Raab is on record as saying we should scrap it for under 21's.
It wouldn't get scrapped straight away, "Challenging economic conditions" following the slump from a no deal brexit would mean it wouldn't be increased, but frozen. Government would encourage companies to put pressure by not giving wage increases in line with inflation. That would mean less buying on luxury goods, making the slump worse.
A freeze on NMW, a bit like the Public Sector freeze might happen, and possibly, to help businesses and the economy, we could see a cut of say 10-20%. So it might take say 10-15 yes for it to be scrapped, but, IMHO, it would happen, unless we get a deal.
A deal would see a certain amount of immigration, and, as most of Europe would have NMW legislation, without the same level of increase, we would not be as attractive to foreign workers as if it were regularly increased.
The companies supporting staying in Europe, or getting a trade and/or a customs union deal, are saying they need the workers in order to be competitive. So the best way to proceed, in their view and not mine, is to get a deal. Anything less will be a betrayal to the honest workers.

First off, I voted leave. Secondly, I'm not a labour supporter, I can't stand Corbyn. It's pretty well documented that a no deal brexit will mean an economic slump and loss of jobs. And recent strikes in the last 18 months has put unions under the spotlight. Inflation was and is rising as wages rise. A lot of influential people didn't want this. I know that minimum wage is not guaranteed by the EU, and in world politics the UK always seem to play fairly, see the foreign aid policy. So if we were tied to Europe we wouldn't want to be seen to be the bar guys of Europe by scrapping NMW. Dominic Raab is on record as saying we should scrap it for under 21's.
It wouldn't get scrapped straight away, "Challenging economic conditions" following the slump from a no deal brexit would mean it wouldn't be increased, but frozen. Government would encourage companies to put pressure by not giving wage increases in line with inflation. That would mean less buying on luxury goods, making the slump worse.
A freeze on NMW, a bit like the Public Sector freeze might happen, and possibly, to help businesses and the economy, we could see a cut of say 10-20%. So it might take say 10-15 yes for it to be scrapped, but, IMHO, it would happen, unless we get a deal.
A deal would see a certain amount of immigration, and, as most of Europe would have NMW legislation, without the same level of increase, we would not be as attractive to foreign workers as if it were regularly increased.
The companies supporting staying in Europe, or getting a trade and/or a customs union deal, are saying they need the workers in order to be competitive. So the best way to proceed, in their view and not mine, is to get a deal. Anything less will be a betrayal to the honest workers.
It might mean the end of the NHS as well. And a return to serfdom. And it might mean droit du seigneur from wealthy landowners.

What is the electorate doing during these 10 to 15 years that you claim that nmw would be scrapped over?

How does a deal make any difference? As you acknowledge, it's nothing to do with the EU whether we have an NMW either in or out of the EU.

What is the electorate doing during these 10 to 15 years that you claim that nmw would be scrapped over?
Probably the same as they did during the public sector pay freeze/cap, going I'm alright Jack...

Probably the same as they did during the public sector pay freeze/cap, going I'm alright Jack...
Which isn't helped when the EU can provide a cheap willing labour force if you want wages to rise...

I've got some goats to barter? Some sheep too and a wench I can hire out?
For when the money disappears and we all return to a barter system. :laugh:

First off, I voted leave. Secondly, I'm not a labour supporter, I can't stand Corbyn. It's pretty well documented that a no deal brexit will mean an economic slump and loss of jobs. And recent strikes in the last 18 months has put unions under the spotlight. Inflation was and is rising as wages rise. A lot of influential people didn't want this. I know that minimum wage is not guaranteed by the EU, and in world politics the UK always seem to play fairly, see the foreign aid policy. So if we were tied to Europe we wouldn't want to be seen to be the bar guys of Europe by scrapping NMW. Dominic Raab is on record as saying we should scrap it for under 21's..
Both parties see the minimum wage as a vote winner.
Labour introduced the minimum, and Conservatives the living wage. It has been promoted by Westminster and not EU. I doubt that cutting our legislative ties with the EU will make any difference.

I've got some goats to barter? Some sheep too and a wench I can hire out?
For when the money disappears and we all return to a barter system. :laugh:

What's the trade against the wench ? Two Dozen eggs /hour ?

Brexit was always about having a bonfire of rights in the end. May always hated human rights that stopped her deporting people to be murdered or tortured, Farage is in bed with some of the worst employers in Britain.

Tories talk openly about making the UK "more competitive" after brexit, which specifically means slashing your wages and rights at work. How else is the UK going to compete with US companies in a free trade deal, when they only get two weeks holiday and can be fired at will?

You may need to be a little bit more imaginative if you think you can only be competitive by slashing workers rights.

You may need to be a little bit more imaginative if you think you can only be competitive by slashing workers rights.

I'm not suggesting otherwise, what I'm saying is that it's code for slashing worker's rights. They have said as much in public.

One demand is to get rid of the rules requiring holiday to be proportional to hours worked, i.e. if you do 45 hours/week regularly due to overtime you get extra holiday allowance.

I'm not suggesting otherwise, what I'm saying is that it's code for slashing worker's rights. They have said as much in public.

One demand is to get rid of the rules requiring holiday to be proportional to hours worked, i.e. if you do 45 hours/week regularly due to overtime you get extra holiday allowance.
I think that requires a citation.

I am not a lawyer but these are and state the obvious:

The Government’s Great Repeal Bill will repeal the European Communities Act 1972 and preserve all existing EU derived employment law (whether via statute or cases) into UK law. So Brexit means there will be no immediate change to the many employment law rights that are derived from the EU.

Continuing to spread opinion as fact? :rolleyes:

This thread is only intended to discuss employment law.
Stop being so combative by poisoning all chance of sensible discussion with negative vitriol...

Makes sense for who? You or the people in charge of the rules?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom