Question Has anyone purchased a TV since seeing the specs / info on the 2017 models ?

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As title really
Has anyone decided to recently take advantage of the drop in prices of the 2016 models and buy a new set, with the intention of it lasting them a good few years (the period of the extended warrnanty say) rather than waiting for a 2017 model ? And if so, what did you go for and why ?

I'm growing increasingly disappointed with my hu8500 (even with the sek3500) and want something that will really impress with HDR from both uhd blu ray as well as gaming via Xbox one s I also want to get rid of the curve as I'm not convinced by it and it does reflect the light in my room more than a flat set

I'm just on the fence on what to do. I've been in this game long enough to know there is always something new and better and next year's tech will always be better but at an initially higher price.

I'm increasingly tempted by a ks8000 due to the price or even the 58" Panasonic. My conditions in front room are such that most of viewing is done in daylight conditions so a "bright" set is needed.

i haven't but even for the amazing prices on some 2016 tv's there is not much point in upgrading, gonna wait for ces 2018 then buy a 2017 tv. only reason i am waiting is to see if samsung have their full fledged self emitting QLED or there is a flagship FALD tv with 512 zones like the dx902, i'm getting rather tired of edge lit..

As a rule, how long after the new sets appear do the old ones drop from reputable sellers ? I'm guessing it's a "whilst stock lasts" thing

What's wrong with the DX-902 or the KS9500? Both very capable HDR tv's, both more than bright enough for a bright room.

A KS8000 will give you an upgrade but largely with HDR only, the other tv's should be pretty significant.

The DX-902 looks to be part of Panasonic's new line-up so I don't see those ceasing production soon. However Samsung are pretty fast at tidying up stock, probably because they have a larger turnaround.

The future right now is OLED and chances are they will be bright enough for you with SDR too, the 2017 tv's are slightly brighter again.

Ks9500 is curved and I only have room for around 55 to 60 inch
Also I'm not going to be prepared to spend over 2 grand again on a tv,
I think you are spot on though regards the ks8000 comments and that's probably main reason I've not home for one

The 902 has been in my basket a couple of times now in richer, it's a good price, I get a set that's bigger (by 3") and seems highly rated, I'm just not sure how big a difference 2017 will make to make me regret it in future

I've been looking at getting the '17 Panasonic ex750. RS have it listed at 1299, but I've nearly added the KS8000 to my basket so many times, which is the same price with a free UHD player.

Its a gamble, who knows if Panasonic or Samsung release a FALD LCD this year. I would bet against it, especially at Samsung not releasing a 55" one. Everything I've read about Panasonic states the DX-902 is still in their 2017 lineup so unless its released towards the end of the year I don't think much will change.

I think you might be better off looking at the OLEDs.

Big jump in price up to the lord's though.

I've just recently ordered a 65"ks8000 due to the price being low and having everything I wanted. I was going to wait for the new TV's but with my price range I would of had to wait another year before purchasing a 2017 model.
I did get a look at Sony's new Sony KD65XE9305 at the weekend, tbh it seems you are paying over £3k for 2017 stamp on it compared to Sony's 2016 65XD9305 model, which you can pick up for around £1800. I couldn't see much difference in picture quality but i'm no expert in picture quality and most TV's look good when they have the demo's running on them.

I've just recently ordered a 65"ks8000 due to the price being low and having everything I wanted. I was going to wait for the new TV's but with my price range I would of had to wait another year before purchasing a 2017 model.
I did get a look at Sony's new Sony KD65XE9305 at the weekend, tbh it seems you are paying over £3k for 2017 stamp on it compared to Sony's 2016 65XD9305 model, which you can pick up for around £1800. I couldn't see much difference in picture quality but i'm no expert in picture quality and most TV's look good when they have the demo's running on them.

No doubt you get a better deal a generation behind. I think the XE90 reviewed here on AVF is going to be the best value this year. The XE93 is edge lit whilst the XE90 is direct lit FALD. More expensive than the KS8000 but given it's improvement with motion, HDR brightness and slightly better colour maybe it's worth the extra? It's quite a bit more than what you paid but I bet by black Friday the 65XE90 will be less than 1.8k.

Last edited:
Its a gamble, who knows if Panasonic or Samsung release a FALD LCD this year. I would bet against it, especially at Samsung not releasing a 55" one. Everything I've read about Panasonic states the DX-902 is still in their 2017 lineup so unless its released towards the end of the year I don't think much will change.

I think you might be better off looking at the OLEDs.

I think if it was not for the issue of my room and conditions and most of watching being daytime / bright room I may consider an oled more.
The 902 has twice been in my basket in last 36 hours just keep holding back

Are they keeping the 802 for 2017?

The DX-802 is more or less the same as the DX-750 but with thx certification and a sound bar so I don't think so.

@dUnKle the DX-902 has a pretty reflective screen compared to other tv's from 2016. How are you sure an OLED won't be bright enough? Could you buy one and safely return it if it's not? The OLEDs fair better with reflections.

Best overall for reflections though would be the Samsung LCDs, so having an edge lit model may have it's drawbacks but it could be a better option for you. The new Shaun Samsung's should be even better.

Cheers for that. That's interesting.
Reflection is an issue. We have large window to the side and the room is such there is no ceiling light but two wall lights which are opposite the tv

Previous Panasonic plasma (g10) I never noticed any real issues with reflections but the hu8500 really seems to suffer with a noticeable "line of light" across the screen when the walls lights are on and on anything but the lowest level with the dimmer

I think the OLEDs will be better in this regard, they and the Samsung KS series TVs do best with reflections. Curved isn't actually worse for reflections, just depends on where you're lighting is at, sometimes it can look worse.

What, if anything, would be lost by buying a 2016 model over a 2017 one in terms of features and quality etc ?

The days of me being able to have a dedicated room with prime conditions (I was even lucky enough to have a room where I could paint ceiling black in the past) have long gone, there is as much chance the days the tv will show Bing rather than Batman ! So I think going full high end will be wasted but I do want something that will work fine with all current formats and devices, something my hu8500 struggles with when it comes to HDR.

The more I see, the more I read I'm very tempted by the ks8000 which seems to be a lot of tv for the money and seems to cope well with the real world of being bunged in a front room with loads of lighting conditions

I would only get the KS8000 over the KS7000 if I wanted less native motion blur for sports or gaming. Otherwise it really is worth saving that extra between the KS8000 and LG B6 OLED or even the Panasonic DX-902.

At that price also the Sony XD93 is a direct competitor to the KS8000 and a worth one at that...and there is now the XE90 which looks to be a great TV so far, I'm sure it will come down in price in the future.

Cheers, gaming is a big issue for me, when I do eventually get the TV to self my time on it is 50/50 for gaming / movies

I guess the question is, for around £1500 will there be a 2017 set which will do as much as something like the KS8000 and just as well ?

for 1299 with the UHD Blu Ray the price is great
I can no longer justify spending more than 1500 on a set, regardless of what it does offer

The XE90 is better than the KS8000 but it is also priced similar to the B6.

Tbh I personally would go for the LG B6. After the new firmware is out it is fine for games and you get next to no motion blur with an OLED vs an LCD.

If not, there is no harm in the KS8000, its a great tv at great value right now.

There would also be no harm waiting for for the XE90 to come down in price later in the year.

I just picked up the ks8000 after watching lots of demos alongside the 9305.
The only thing in the end that won over the Sony was I found android tv a bit too much for me.
I also has the deal from RS the the UHD player.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom