1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone played with Mediator?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by SimonInd, Jan 25, 2005.

1. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Back in November I downloaded the initial alpha release of this DVD playing app. posted on AVSforum by Boke01 and didn't have much joy with it, however it's since been updated and I thought I'd give it another go last night. Admittedly I'd had a couple of pints, but on The 5th Element Superbit there was a marked improvement over my existing ZoomPlayer/nVidia/nVidia VPP/FFDShow/Overlay set up. I'm using the same decoder (nVidia) and FFDShow settings in Mediator, so it's really just the rendering that is different.

Granted the user interface isn't as good and it didn't want to play dts straight away, but the improvement in picture seemed obvious. I'm running an old MX440 graphics card so VMR rendering has never been an option with Zoom Player due to tearing, however this seems to work pretty well! I'm going to try a more objective test tonight but it looks like the UI quirks are worth living with for the improvement in picture.

I'm watching 11ft away from an 8ft wide 16:9 screen, projector is BenQ8700+@1280x720 60Hz via DVI.

Cheers

Simon

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I had a brief play early December, the main point of interest as far as I can see is windowless VMR rendering (I think that's what it's called) which promises to eliminate tearing and reduce CPU overhead .. haven't tried it recently, your post has prompted me to do so. :)

3. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Yes, it seems like a good start to a player. I hope Blight will get this stuff integrated into ZP sometime soon as that will really be great.

Its a nice effort, but you can't change the dvd drive (annoying, I have multiple) and the developer has gone quiet for a month now... Hopefully he's still out there somewhere...

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Andrew is working on Windowless VMR, from what I can make out that's the main feature in TT 2.1.

5. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I read that. Due to TT lack of try-before-you-buy I've never been inclined to purchase it. Also, the various instability problems are somewhat offputting... At the moment I'm very happy with ZP.

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I made no comment as to its' stability or user-friendly method of offering a trial period. ;)

7. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What can I say it must have been the beer talking/watching :) . After properly setting the brightness, contrast and saturation I found there was little to choose between the two - Mediator/VMR9 may look a little 'smoother' if anything. The Fifth Element did look less artificial initially, however this was due to the reduced contrast setting and once this was set sensibly it was back to it's usual self.

I guess if I get a better video card ( e.g. 6600GT ) then I can exploit the advantages of using VMR over overlay but for the time being I'll probably tinker with Mediator but use Zoom Player for watching whole films...

Sorry for the false alarm

Simon

8. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I tried Mediator in it's first inclination and was very impressed. VMR Renderless does look like a nice improvment in image quality and my precessor load was definately down. Problem remains that I tend to use aoomplayer with overlay and the PowerDVD6 codec (yeah I know..:p) with a great image quality on my 9800. I'll give this new version a try but ultimately I, like many other people, will probably wait for Blight to implement the renderless option in ZoomPlayer before giving it any serious consideration.