1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

has anyone out there tried a mid range av receiver as a processor?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by cameronl, Sep 21, 2004.

1. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hi there all, I'm currently using my Yamaha 630 as a processor and to drive my back 2 surround channels. I use my Halo A52 poweramp for the front 3 and 2 surrounds and my Arcam A32 as a preamp only.

The stereo side of things sounds great but the HT side of things is lacking - well it is when i compare it to the stereo side anyway. I would also really like some form of room eq.

What i'm wondering is whether anyone out there has been in a similar situation and what you did?

Is the processing in todays mid range av receivers (i.e. denon 3805) as good as a second hand processor from a couple of years back? I'm not worried about stereo as my arcam works fine as a preamp imo. If i buy a processor that is euqal or better than my arcam then my arcam can work as a poweramp for the back 2 channels.

I know a home demo would be a good idea but there are waf problems with this :)

CaM

2. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My brother uses, on my recomendation, a 3805 as a processor with A11, BelCanto eVo 6 and KEF Ref speakers, 4 201 + 1 202 + 4000 subwoofer...

Didnt compare directly with any processor, but it sounds pretty good...

3. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I use a 2011 as a pre/pro and currently the amp for the rears. It sounds pretty good to me :)

4. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    k, thanks for your input guys :)

CaM

5. Keiron

Keiron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I used to use a Yamaha 630 as a processor for a while with a Quad power amp for the fronts, so similar to yours. The Quad power was a big step up from the Yammy power. However, an equally big, perhaps even bigger, improvement was gained using a Sony ES processor (I guess now about 7 years old). No DTS or Prologic II but a massive improvement on the Yammy. I now use a Rotel processor/power combo, and it's leagues ahead of the Yammy integrated - but no better than the old Sony processor.

6. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hi there, thats very interesting indeed. I guess using something like a denon 3805 would probably be a big improvement then :)

CaM

7. ash71

ash71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Cameronl

I'm going down this route myself by upgrading to a Marantz SR7400 from a Sony EP9ES (is this what you where using Kieron? mines about 7 years old and still going strong) using the Marantz as a decoder/processor and driving 3 modest Rotel power amps which I'll bridge to mono and use to power my 3 front speakers and let the Marantz power the surrounds

Unfortunatley there just doesn't seem to be much available in the way of processors below £1000. Makes the new breed of "over achieving" AV amps/receivers seem very good value indeed. The fact that there has been a explosion in new decoding formats over the last few years made me rule out cheaper older processors, as i'd like to have all the new ones!

Should be a big improvment on the audio side. I'll keep you posted

8. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    yes, all this new av receivers have to many new features :)

its a tought choice between an expensive C2 or a cheaper av receiver with all the latest features.....

CaM

9. Apone

Apone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    If you are going to plug many video sources into the amp and then onto a projector or plasma you may want to consider video upconversion to component and no of component inputs as well.

The new breed of amps coming out toward the end of the year may have HDMI or DVI switching as well, which may also be of benefit. This way all your sources can go to the amp and then onto the projector or plasma.

Regards

Mahmood

10. FranZAR

FranZAR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Test drive the NAD T762. Excellent on music & HT.

11. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    well, I managed to find a Halo C2 processer cheap so I've bought it :)

thanks all

CaM