Has anyone listened to a Rotel 1066?

R

ricdiggle

Hi,
I've been a good boy and done a search and I can't find a review on here about the Rotel 1066 processor.

Can anyone give me some info on this? I really want to know how it compares with the much more expensive Tag and Arcam kit.

I plan on buying a 1075 to go with whatever Processor I buy.

Many Thanks,
Richard.

P.S. should I just buy a PJ and stick with my SR5200? :D

Well, I have a demo of the 1066 Pre/Pro and the PB 1075 next monday.

I'll also be listening to a Tag AV32R - just to see how much better it is.

I'll let you know.

Someone somewhere must have had a listen and can give me some pointers on what to look out for.

Richard

i think the problem with the thing is that almost no one has seen it! :rolleyes: I'll be interested to hear your results!

ad

ps. the pj idea is a good one......it would be my choice!

Hi,

I'm also interested in this combo, having heard it and the rsx1055 receiver at last months av expo in london. It very difficult to judge these at the shows, for my money it sounded a little too bright and a little to much treble, but to be far the speaker were not run in.

It does look the dogs in the silver with black edges

Havind said all that I too will be interested in Richards demo.

I would like to see how the rsp1066 (proc) + rmb1075 (5channel) + rb1070 (2channel) compares against the rsx1055 (rec) + rb1070 (front stereo)

cheers

Gary

The thing putting me off it at the moment is that it looks a bit cheap!
I think it looks better in just Black.
The Tag doesn't exactly set my pulse racing in the looks department either but that isn't why I'll be buying one I guess.

Richard.

Originally posted by ricdiggle
The thing putting me off it at the moment is that it looks a bit cheap!
I think it looks better in just Black.
The Tag doesn't exactly set my pulse racing in the looks department either but that isn't why I'll be buying one I guess.

Richard.

you could go the classe route.......then you couldnt complain about looks! :D

ad

Anybody know if now that the processor is available in a silver finish, have they added silver as an option to the power amps?

The amp and processor I saw were both silver and black.
Will let you know more next Monday night.

Richard

i'm too thinking on that combo (1066+1075) or denon 3803 if i don't like it!

i thought only the processor could be in silver. never seen the amp other than black!

Hope someone post a review!

You've got me wondering now if that amp was silver and black after all!

I really think it was.

The 1066 pre/pro looked a bit cheap in silver though!
IMHO

Richard

The latest Rotel hifi range is available in silver. I hope the AV range is too.

The standard 1070, 1080, 1090, and the 1075 and 1095 are only available in black. Anyway, who would want an rotel in silver, it looks the dogs ******** in black!!

I understand that Parasound will be bringing out some silver amps later in the year - for those among us who prefer the look.

the problem is that the pics in the rotel site of the silver products are too small. and i really don't know if they're really better looking than the black versions cause i can't compare them as the silver isn't big enough!

Just another idea to throw into the mix....

have you considered Arcam power amps?

I demoed the Rotel's against the arcam's when I purchased my TAG AVR32.

For my ears the acams beat the Rotels hands down for music listening.

Try it, you may be suprised!!!

If you are looking for any more info on this area check out my previous postings on power amps (posted last year when I bought my TAG):D :D :D

I have a new brochure at home, will check tonight and let you know, but from memory the amps have silver centre panels with black around

Gary

I just bought a silver Rotel RA-01 amplifier, and if the home theater stuff looks as good as this amp, then you are in for a treat. Very classy :D

Ok,
Just got back from the Demo and the first thing to confirm is that the Rotel RMB 1075 is available in Black and Silver/black.
Unfortunately, the shop sold the only model they had via mail order yesterday and as a result, I did not hear it today. I have ordered one though and it should arrive ina few weeks as supply is very short at the moment.

Onto the demo:

For all tests I used an Arcam DV88 (not plus) for CD and DVD duties as this is what I have at home.

2 Channel:

I listened to a Rotel 1066 pre/pro through a 2 channel Rotel power amp. I compared the 1066 to a Rotel 2 ch preamp. (I forget the model number but it cost about £270)
To cut a long story short, the 1066 was quickly dismissed because it's stereo performance was not even comparable to that of the stereo preamp costing a third it's price.
The 1066 was very laid back and just did not convey the detail of the cheaper model. The cheap Rotel was looking like a good buy for a while. My plan was to use this for my front left and right and stick with the Marantz SR5200 for Multi channel.
I only had one more piece of kit to listen to and it was one I really could not afford.
Enter the Tag AV32R (Not bp192)

This thing sounded great with the Arcam DV88 in Analogue, much better than the Rotel. Then again, it did cost 10 times as much. I was impressed to say the least. The sound was so natural, details were incredible. I have listened to 'Touching Tounges' by Steve Vai at least a billion times and yet I have never heard it all before!
(Oh my god, I sound like What Hi-Fi!)
I thought I knew every nuance of this song (I have been trying to learn how to play it for some 5 years on the guitar). I heard things I've never heard before and the instruments all sounded so 'right'.

We then tried it using a digital output from the DV88 and the sound quality moved up another notch, using the DACs in the Tag rather than those of the Arcam. The Arcam's DACs were almost as good though it has to be said.

AV Demo

So we take the Dv88 and the Tag Av32R downstairs and hook it up into a Marantz SR5300. The Marantz is set to 6.1 input and as such, it's processing chips are bypassed and only the amps are running (More or less)
After a bit of Lord of the Rings, Titan AE and Fast and Furious, I'm convinced enough to bankrupt myself and buy the tag.
I didn't even bother with the 1066.

So, I'm picking up a new Tag AV32R bp192 on Wednesday.
This will be run through my Marantz SR5200 until the Rotel 1075 comes into stock again.
Sorry to all those people expecting a 1066 pre/pro review, it just did not cut the mustard compared to the tag.

Why not the AV30R?

Well, when you weigh up the cost of add ons and upgradability, the AV30R's 'bargain' status starts to diminish a little bit.
My 5.1 AV32R will cost about £300 more than a 7.1 AV30R but hopefully, it will not need to be replaced for many years.

If I have ommited to mention anything or you want any more info, then please let me know and I'll do my best for you.

Now, can anyone lend me about £4000?

Richard.

"Sorry to all those people expecting a 1066 pre/pro review, it just did not cut the mustard compared to the tag."

yeah, but the TAG is about 3 times the price of the Rotel.....

Does the TAG sound 3 times better than the rotel?

Well, I think it is very hard to be quantitative about sound quality.
The tag sounded fantastic and I could have listened to it for ever - I cannot say the same of the Rotel.
As for the Rotel stereo only Pre amp - At less than £300, it was awesome. That's 10 times cheaper than the tag but not really comparable in terms of what it can do.
Again the Tag sounded considerably better than this too.

I know the Tag is a very expensive bit of kit but I think you get what you pay for.
If I bought a 1066, I would want something else in 4 months.

Richard.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom