Has anyone heard the ProAc D28's yet?

chantrys

Novice Member
just wondering whether anyone has had the chance of listening to the ProAc D28 floorstanding speakers that replaced the D25's?

Many thanks,

chantrys

Novice Member
Perhaps a little more info may help...

I was thinking of getting the D28's to partner my new Arcam A32/P35/CD36 setup but I have been offered a pair of brand new ProAc D25 for 1,900 pounds.

So I was wondering whether the D28's are a huge step-up in performance over the D25 they replaced or whether I should snap up the D25's at that price?

cosmicma

I've heard the D25's and they're very nice speakers can you home demo them?
the price seems good the D28's are meant to be less fussy about possitioning and a little tighter in the bass - i'm currently demoing some d38's and will probably be ordering a pair next week, you really could do with trying your kit out on them - even if it means lugging it all to the shop... only way to be sure :)

Helicon

Banned
Well you're getting the 25's for the price of the 15's, a bargain. But the 28's are fantastic. Their bass performance is amazing for their size. Well worth an audition if you can. Not heard them side by side though.

chantrys

Novice Member
I've managed to arrange a side by side demo tomorrow of the D25 & D28 and I'm also going to take my Response 1SC with me just to see how much difference there is. Can't wait.

chantrys

Novice Member
well, just back from the demo of the D28, D25 and 1SC all lined up, side-by-side in a row.

Started off listening to the D25 to refresh my memory and the smile returned in the same way as when I first listened to them. I then switched to the D28 to see what the extra money was going to deliver.

I'll be honest and admit that even though the bass delivery was more rythmic and certainly tighter with the D28, I didn't like the overall sound of the speaker as much. Considering both the D25 & D28 use the same drivers I was surprised at how different they sounded side-by-side. And to my ears I certainly couldn't justify the extra cost for no real improvement in sound.

I then switched to my own 1SC and immediately noticed how much more open and detailed they were in both mid-range and top-end. However, they obviously couldn't deliver anything like the bass response on the D25. Again, to my ears, I enjoyed the more detailed sound of the 1SC over the D25, but for certain types of music I just wish that the 1SC had a bit more bottom-end.

Summary, based on my ears:
D28 - not worth the extra money over the D25
D25 - very flexible speakers that can handle almost any style of music
1SC - sublime mid-range and exceptionally detailed/revealing, just wish they had more bass.

So, can anyone recommend a speaker that has the mid-range of the 1SC but with more bass?

Member 116841

Distinguished Member
I'll be honest and admit that even though the bass delivery was more rythmic and certainly tighter with the D28, I didn't like the overall sound of the speaker as much. Considering both the D25 & D28 use the same drivers I was surprised at how different they sounded side-by-side. And to my ears I certainly couldn't justify the extra cost for no real improvement in sound.
One of the differences is the base plinth, which the bottom reflex port fires onto rather than firing directly onto the floor. I was under the impression the bass driver had been improved, but I may be wrong.

I then switched to my own 1SC and immediately noticed how much more open and detailed they were in both mid-range and top-end. However, they obviously couldn't deliver anything like the bass response on the D25. Again, to my ears, I enjoyed the more detailed sound of the 1SC over the D25, but for certain types of music I just wish that the 1SC had a bit more bottom-end.
The 1SC's are fantastic sounding speakers, but while they excel in the mid and upper bands, and their bass is damn good for a tiny standmount, they will lack compared to fully fledged floorstanders. I'm not suprised you heard the difference you did, which I was going to mention but I didn't want to put any expectations in your head prior to the dem.

One option is to look at a good quality subwoofer. Or two :)

As long as they're implemented properly, it should work well, and used subtely, shouldn't affect the 1SC's detail level too much. Worth looking into.

So, can anyone recommend a speaker that has the mid-range of the 1SC but with more bass?
No!!! If you didn't find the level of detail you wanted from either the 25 or 28, then you're not going to find it at this level, and most likely you're looking at the next price point up, which will be about £5k before being able to combine both :(

Although you could try the Dynaudio Special 25's, which are a standmount that use the bass/mid driver from their awesome Evidence range.

Speakers I've heard with the best midrange tend to be high quality standmounts like those you already own, as floorstanders tend to have a fuller sound which affects the speakers ability to produce a convincing 3D image.

chantrys

Novice Member
One option is to look at a good quality subwoofer. Or two :)
what subwoofer would you recommend as being particularly suited to music? I am using a Velodyne SPLR1000 in my home theatre and have been impressed with that but not sure whether it is a musical sub.

No!!! If you didn't find the level of detail you wanted from either the 25 or 28, then you're not going to find it at this level, and most likely you're looking at the next price point up, which will be about £5k before being able to combine both :(
I'd be very tempted to take the price jump IF it can deliver midrange, detail & bass. What would you recommend at or around the 5k mark?

Member 116841

Distinguished Member
what subwoofer would you recommend as being particularly suited to music? I am using a Velodyne SPLR1000 in my home theatre and have been impressed with that but not sure whether it is a musical sub.
The best thing to do would be try your sub with your 1SC's to see how it goes as you may not like that type of configuration. Just use the sub in a subtle way and not overpowering and it should sound fine. But i will admit i'm not familiar with the Velodyne.

I'd be very tempted to take the price jump IF it can deliver midrange, detail & bass. What would you recommend at or around the 5k mark?
Like I said, you could try the Special 25's first as they'd be a cheaper option, and certainly don't lack bass. But before recommending anything else, what amplifier are you using?

chantrys

Novice Member
Thanks David. I'm using an Arcam FMJ A32 and P35 power amp.

chantrys

Novice Member
I've been offered the D25 at 1800 quid so at that price I've decided I can't go wrong... so I've ordered them.

We're moving house shortly so have kept the 1SC and will do a demo in the new house to see which ones work best. Even if I decide the D25's don't work in the new house I should be able to sell them on again for the same price or close to it.

Colin151

Subwoofers that will work well with the 1SC's are the REL ST range.

I used to use an REL Storm MKI to great effect with some Proac Tablette 50Standmounts (same size as the 1SC).

You always wire the REL to the same speaker outputs as the Speakers in parallel and use the high level input on the REL. This was it integrates much better than if you use the low level input as the subwoofer sees the same input as the speakers in terms of tonality and phase etc. Then you set the filter on the REL to come in below the point the 1SC's cut off, - lower is always better then higher filter wise , try 30 to 45Hz. Try the phase button as well in both positions to see which gives the best sound. My REL worked best on the reverse phase setting. Also make sure you set the volume of the sub quite low, - it integrates a lot better at a lower volume setting than a higher one. It can be tempting to put it up too high but you will soon realise it is far more effective to have the sub at a subtle volume evel.

REL ST's that are worth considering

Older models:
Strata
Stata II
Storm
Stadium II
Stentor
Stentor II

These ones are later models and have improvement. One improtant improvement is that as the filter system on these is more effective at cutting out unwanted higher frequencies than the older models:

Strata III
Strata 5
Storm II
Storm III
Storm 5
Stadium III
Stentor III

A Studio or a Stentor would probably be overkill. A Stadium is pretty big as well. A Strata (III or 5 ideally) or Storm (II, III or 5 ideally) would be perfect. The Mk 5 versions are very good and go a bit deeper than previous models (also have more powerful amps inside). They also have a useful remote so you don't have to get up to fine tune. You could also use a pair of the same sub. This would also bring a nice improvement.

These models are not made anymore. The newer models (R305, R505 etc) are made in China to REL's specs and have a different design. They are meant to be quite good though I would try to get a good deal secondhand on a Strata or Storm.

Hope this helps,

Colin

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom