Question Has anyone heard the new Monitor Audio Bronze vs last gen

Dilz1994

Looking to upgrade my front stage.

Currently running a 7.1.2 Monitor Audio Bronze System.

Bronze 2 as fronts, Bronze 1's as sides, Bronze FX as rears, Bronze 1's as Atmos.

I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge on whether the new ones are still fairly timbre-matched to the previous generation, as I am eyeing up the new Bronze 500's to replace the Bronze 2's, which would be moved to side duty, and the current sides moved to the ceiling for a 7.1.4 setup.

Looking at the 500s, as I can't find any Bronze 6's for sale sadly.

Last edited:

password1

The Monitor 300 would be an alternative to the bronze 6,. featuring three 6.5inch cones.

The new 4th generation Monitor series, have black cones. The 3g have orange cones. As far as I can tell it is just a cosmetic difference. The 3g are cheaper. Grilles and cabinets are the same finishes.

I can't tell the difference with the tweeters between the monitor and the previous bronze, but the MMP2 cones of the monitor are more neutral than the c cam cones of the previous bronze's warmer sounding cones. Both have HIVE 2 ports.

The bronze 500 are almost double the price of the Monitor 300 3g though.

The silvers might be a more worthwhile upgrade than the 6g bronze.

There's not a huge price difference between the silver 50, silver centre plus stands, and bronze 500 plus bronze centre. Assuming you have a sub for the bass duties.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I don´t see any issue if you swap the center channel later to new one. While the latest range has new drivers, new cabinet design, similar waweguide as Silver range for wider dispersion i don`t believe the sound signature hasn`t changed too much. So you can still mix them. Main worry would be the tonal match of the front three. I had the earlier BX Bronze towers with the newer Bronze Centre which you have, no issues "mixing".

The Bronze 500s are big boys! 😎 Here is @Waynester system with 500s!

33acb6b0-1bbc-4690-806d-6f10b4726985-jpeg.1367582

GrazzaB

@Dilz1994 I’ve got the new 6G Bronze range, I’ve got the Bronze 200 floorstanders and the new Bronze centre speaker. I’ve been really impressed with both I have to say, and they’re one of the first range of cheaper speakers that don’t look old fashioned in my view - they have a really nice style to them. I think with everything going on in the world hardly anyone has had them in for review, but there is a really good in-depth review of the 100 and 200 models on blog.son-video. Exceptional AV had a pair of the older 5G Bronze 6s quite recently I think for £299.

Oh and I still use Bronze 1s for rears and they match absolutely fine - may be different across the L-C-R front though.

Cheers

Dilz1994

After looking around, and reading the What-Hifi review of the 100's.

I think I am just gonna wait until either the 6's come up on classified, or some Silver 10's.

Ideally the Silver 10's, they seem to be using the same tech, as the last gen MA

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
After looking around, and reading the What-Hifi review of the 100's.

I think I am just gonna wait until either the 6's come up on classified, or some Silver 10's.

Ideally the Silver 10's, they seem to be using the same tech, as the last gen MA

Don´t put too much weight on What Hifi reviews as they put down many good products and praise some not so good ones! That site/magazine is known more of joke.. See my post #58 here:

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
There is some Silver 8s and 10s available, but you might have trouble finding matching center channel in same finish.

password1

The Silver 10 and 8 are 4 ohm nominal so will need careful amp matching. They also need a lot more power.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
X4400H doesn´t have any issue driving 4ohm speakers. Hell even the 500£ Marantz slim line receiver didn`t break sweat with 17000£ M&K system which is 4ohm nominal.

Silver 8 measured at Stereophile:

The Silver 8 is specified as having a sensitivity of 90dB/W/m; my estimate of its voltage sensitivity was 88.5dB(B)/2.83V/m, which is slightly lower. Though the Silver 8's impedance is specified as 4 ohms, its measured impedance magnitude (fig.1, solid trace) remains at or above 5 ohms for the entire audioband other than the region between 100 and 300Hz, where it reaches a minimum value of 3.5 ohms at 165Hz. The electrical phase angle is generally benign, though there is a combination of –34° and 4.5 ohms at 100Hz, a frequency where music can have high energy. A 4 ohm–rated amplifier or receiver will have no problems driving this speaker to high levels.

Dilz1994

The Silver 10 and 8 are 4 ohm nominal so will need careful amp matching. They also need a lot more power.

I'm looking at getting two of the IOTAVX Amplifiers

X4400H doesn´t have any issue driving 4ohm speakers. Hell even the 500£ Marantz slim line receiver didn`t break sweat with 17000£ M&K system which is 4ohm nominal.

Silver 8 measured at Stereophile:

The Silver 8 is specified as having a sensitivity of 90dB/W/m; my estimate of its voltage sensitivity was 88.5dB(B)/2.83V/m, which is slightly lower. Though the Silver 8's impedance is specified as 4 ohms, its measured impedance magnitude (fig.1, solid trace) remains at or above 5 ohms for the entire audioband other than the region between 100 and 300Hz, where it reaches a minimum value of 3.5 ohms at 165Hz. The electrical phase angle is generally benign, though there is a combination of –34° and 4.5 ohms at 100Hz, a frequency where music can have high energy. A 4 ohm–rated amplifier or receiver will have no problems driving this speaker to high levels.

I was looking at keeping my current setup, and just upgrading the fronts, due to the technology looking to be identical between the 5th gen Bronze series, and the 4th gen Silver series.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I'm looking at getting two of the IOTAVX Amplifiers

I was looking at keeping my current setup, and just upgrading the fronts, due to the technology looking to be identical between the 5th gen Bronze series, and the 4th gen Silver series.

It`s not identical, Silver range has always thicker cabinet with real wood veneer finish and the better RST drivers plus different tweeter, with higher quality audio crossover parts. Those i linked are 5th Gen Silvers. By all means if you looking step up then go with Silver. I heard the difference and you should too. Silver 10 = better than latest Bronze 500.

Dilz1994

It`s not identical, Silver range has always thicker cabinet with real wood veneer finish and the better RST drivers plus different tweeter, with higher quality audio crossover parts. Those i linked are 5th Gen Silvers. By all means if you looking step up then go with Silver. I heard the difference and you should too. Silver 10 = better than latest Bronze 500.

Hmm, I'm not so fussed about a step up in sound, as I love the sound I have right now.

My goal is to go to 7.1.4 with floorstanders, and setting myself up down the line to go to a dedicated room, Separate amps etc.

Originally I was just going to buy a pair of Monitor Audio 1's to get to 7.1.4 along with a two-channel amplifier.

Then it went to the above but with two IOTAVX Amplifiers to power all channels.

Now I'm looking at moving the Bronze 2 to the sides, and wanted to replace them with Bronze 6's and get another SVS PC2000, or go DIY with a Mini Marty down the line.

Then I saw how similar the Silver 10's looked to the Bronze 5G's and yeah, here we are.

As you can see, my room isn't ideal.

100942313_10158581112978793_8503234419362889728_n.jpg

password1

Silver is 20mm MDF. 5g bronze and Monitor is 18mm MDF, 6g bronze is 15mm MDF.

How about the Gold GR or GS. They have fixed phase plugs and rst drivers. GR60 can be tri amped. GS60 can only be bi amped.

The phase plugs are meant to do something.

Dilz1994

Silver is 20mm MDF. 5g bronze and Monitor is 18mm MDF, 6g bronze is 15mm MDF.

How about the Gold GR or GS. They have fixed phase plugs and rst drivers. GR60 can be tri amped. GS60 can only be bi amped.

The phase plugs are meant to do something.

I'm not keen on the looks, I'm wanting to match the look of my current system, I only bought it last year, so not looking to upgrade additional speakers.

Main reason I was looking at the Silver 10's/Bronze 6's is so the aesthetic matches in-room, and also timbre matches some what.

It might be a case of waiting to see what comes up on the classifieds for Bronze 6's.

As I really do love the sound of the system currently.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Lot of options.. If dedicated room coming i would probably look something very different then. Especially if going DIY route with sub there is also DIYSG speakers which probably will blow most hifi speakers easily with a low cost. Or you could consider some JBL 3677s which don`t cost much 2nd hand but again wipe the floors with most shiny hifi speakers with movies. You don´t need the power amps with those high efficiency speakers though so savings there too. But for living room the MA route is nicer.

Dilz1994

Lot of options.. If dedicated room coming i would probably look something very different then. Especially if going DIY route with sub there is also DIYSG speakers which probably will blow most hifi speakers easily with a low cost. Or you could consider some JBL 3677s which don`t cost much 2nd hand but again wipe the floors with most shiny hifi speakers with movies. You don´t need the power amps with those high efficiency speakers though so savings there too. But for living room the MA route is nicer.

Yeah will more than likely be a few years before we go the dedicated room route, will more than likely be looking at the Titan 615's and Volts for that.

Just being cognisant of equipment I buy now, such as power amplifiers, in mind to eventually go into a dedicated room.

Really want to get to 7.2.4 in my living room currently though, just an itch to scratch really!

I may just end up buying the amps and some more bronze 1's, and see what kind of extra breathing room they give my MA setup, it might be enough to subdue the itch for the time being!

password1

Im not sure the timbre of the 5g bronze are similar to the silver 10s. I would assume rst drivers of the old golds are a closer match to the silvers than the bronze.

The bronze 5g don't look like silvers. The finish is much nicer on the silvers. There is plastic trim on the 5g bronze and the cabinets are a different design.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom