Has anyone had the pleasure........

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by squizza, Feb 4, 2009.

1. squizza

squizza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi guys

Just curious to see if anyone had tried and tested one of these little beauties.

Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 Di SP Lens - Canon Fit Lens () - Warehouse Express

According to reports, this is new lens. As I am totally in love with the results my Tamron 17-50 f2.8 gives me, I am very interested in one of these.

Any comments / personal experiences with this lens would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Sarah

2. springtide

springtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,555
    There are reviews of this lens on dpreview.com as well as the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 HSM

The summary is.... (if I remember correctly) ... (comparing the two)

The Tamron is pretty sharp wide open at f2.8, but the AF is not that fast and the build quality isn't great. The Sigma has faster AF and better build, but is a little soft at f2.8. The Sigma is much better by f4, but you didn't buy the 70-200 for an f4 lens (how soft I have no idea). I have picked up both lenses and was a bit disapointed with the build of the Tamron if I'm honest, having pretty much made my mind up that I would get the Tamron at some point (and now I'm not sure)

If you want fast AF, sharp wide open and great build quality - you need to buy the Nikon/Canon/Sony 70-200 f2.8 (pick your lens mount) at double the price . I guess your decision depends on what you plan to use the lens for,

The DPR review obviously goes into a little more detail than I have :)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  3. denno75uk

denno75uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +574
    I'm so happy with my Sigma that I'm motivated to comment whenever someone is considering a 70-200. For VFM it's outstanding. I shoot at 2.8 with it regularly and I've never been disappointed. At 100% viewing it may not quite match the Tamron 17-50 I have too, but then again (and as I would imagine you know already), the Tamron is amazingly sharp.
    I've tried to find a good example of a shot at f2.8 with the Sigma, but the best I could find was one at ISO 1600 and so has had a fair bit of NR applied. It's here if you're interested. Viewed large it's fine, and even original it's enough for me. Focus was on the left eye. FWIW I have a set of shots with the Sigma on my flickr. At f4 and above, the Sigma is superb IMO. I take springtides point about buying a 2.8 to shoot at f4, but then again, I'd say it's generally accepted that all lenses, primes included, are better stopped down. It's what you think and can live with.
    Just noticed the price of the Tamron 70-200. That's very cheap. Interesting that the article springtide read mentions the AF. Likely this is where they've saved the money. On my 17-50 I don't mind the AF, even with it's obvious shortcomings, but on the Sigma, I do appreciate the quality of the AF motor. Not sure how I'd feel with the basic screw motor trying to shift 70-200 glass at speed or in low light which is where the Tamron 17-50 suffers.
    Not long ago, you could still get my version of the Sigma for about £500-£550, which is a price where I think it would be worth going for it over the Tamron. Now I can only find the MkII version at £630-£680, so even if the Tamron does have poor AF, assuming it's no worse than the 17-50.......... Could be the bargain of the century.