Quantcast

Question Has anyone had an issue with optical sound out of LG OLED into AVR?

daveb975

I’ve posted in the AVR section about this issue, but I thought I’d see if anyone here has had the same problem.

I’m trying to get sound out of my C9 into a Marantz SR7010 AVR. ARC didn’t work so I decided to go for optical which worked briefly but now I get no output at all.

The strange thing is that if I connect a sound bar to the C9 it works fine.

The AVR also works with optical inputs from other sources, just not the C9.

It’s clearly a settings issue rather than a hardware one, but I’m running out of things to try! I’ve reset both devices, tried different cables and used juet about every combination of settings I can find.

Has anyone else got this working? If so was it just plug and play or did it take some set up?

jwsg

I have 6200W which is similar to SR7010 and a C8 and I have to say it was plug and play for ARC. You do see posts about ARC, more often with soundbars, and some users never get it to work, but the combo of LG and a 2015 or newer Denon/Marantz absolutely should work.

ARC is valuable as it allows DD+ and therefore Atmos for the TV apps
CEC is best turned on for ARC at TV and receiver ends but I turn CEC off for all devices and use a CEC blocker for the ATV 4K.

Also it can be easier to get ARC working with a first time setup for the receiver rather than going round changing settings back from some other config

On the C8 my settings are
Simplink On
Auto Power Sync On
I also have Quick Start+ Off
Under ARC a key setting is to change from PCM to Auto to get DD+

On my 6200W the (video/HDMI setup) settings I have are
Video Output Monitor 1
HDMI Control On
HDMI Passthrough On
TV Audio Switching On
Power Off Control Video

and for the TV Audio Input Assign an X under HDMI
I also have Network Control set to 'Off in Standby'

Whenever ARC glitches I follow the process of powering off and unplugging everything including HDMI, then get the Tv on internal speakers, the get the receiver seen as a device, then select ARC on the TV which turns on the receiver and mutes TV speakers, and only then connect other devices.

Last edited:

daveb975

Thanks. I just tried your settings, but they don’t work on my system unfortunately.

There must be a setting at the AVR end that is blocking the sound coming through, I just can’t work out what it is.

I‘m only trying to get optical to work because there is much less to go wrong with it. Hopefully, isolating that problem will fix ARC as well.

jwsg

Could you list what settings you do see on the Marantz, and what is your input assign for Tv Audio ?
What HDMI ports are you using on the TV end and the receiver end?
Does the TV recognse the receiver as a device?
What happens when you change the Tv to ARC Sound Mode?
Can you see the receiver menu displayed in the TV?

daveb975

Could you list what settings you do see on the Marantz, and what is your input assign for Tv Audio ?
What HDMI ports are you using on the TV end and the receiver end?
Does the TV recognse the receiver as a device?
What happens when you change the Tv to ARC Sound Mode?
Can you see the receiver menu displayed in the TV?
I’ll have to have a look for the exact settings when I’m back later, but all of the ones you listed above were there.

Input assign for TV Audio has the X for HDMI and Opt2 for digital, although I’ve also tried with no digital assigned.

I’m using HDMI 2 on the TV and Monitor 1 on t eh AVR. Both are marked ARC.

The TV does recognise the receiver as a device, and names it ‘Marantz’.

Nothing happens when I switch the ARC mode, I still get picture but no sound at all. Same with optical.

I can see the receiver menu displayed on the TV as well as OSD like volume, source etc.

Thanks for your help, any pointers much appreciated!

daveb975

The Opt2 under digital would suggest the receiver is not 100% ARC but the other things you mention sound OK

Take a look at this post on AVS that might help
Opt2 still seemed to be configurable. I tried it with and without that selected, but I couldn’t get it to work.

Optical now does work. The problem was down to a right angled adaptor that I had used to get around LGs dumb placement of the port.

I’ll have another go at getting ARC to work when I have a bit more time. Thanks for your help and the link.