1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone had a deal on a new Arcam AVR300????

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ChalkyCardiff, Jul 27, 2004.

Tags:
  1. ChalkyCardiff

ChalkyCardiff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If anyone has seen these available for less than £1300 could you please let me know.

2. Shaka

Shaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
  3. Shaka

Shaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
  4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    THe Arcam AVR300 IS a good deal at £1300. Why worry when it does everything you need it to do at a good price.

5. ChalkyCardiff

ChalkyCardiff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry to disagree but I think the Arcam is overpriced in this very competitive sector.

I've listen to both Denon 3805 and AVR300 over a weekends home demo and although the Arcam is slightly better in stereo the price gap is some £550.(you can get the denon online for £750)

It is not £550 better in my opinion but is worth spending some extra cash on.

6. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    I'm sure John Dawson will be along shortly.....

:D

7. Shaka

Shaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I have to agree with ChalkyCardiff. I already have Arcam gear so am not being biased. I really like the new Arcam and will be auditioning one soon, but I get the feeling that the Denon will still be first choice, due to the following reasons:
    siginificant price difference (for the moment anyway),
    zone 2 (audio & video) zone 3(audio)
    more connection options,
    i-Link - y CD/DVD upgrade will have a DVD-Audio and SACD player, and from what I've heard, i-link makes makes a significant difference,
    remote control

Stereo performance is important to me and I know Arcam will be better at that, but the Denon's other features, above, outweigh this advantage. And I hope that at this price bracket, the Denon's stereo performance is at least good as my current Alpha 8. If it is, then I'll be a very happy bunny.

8. ChalkyCardiff

ChalkyCardiff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My worry is that I'll pump for the Arcam and then there will be a price drop as a result of positioning of other brands i.e. Denon and Yamaha.

The equivalent amp are all available for £750 ish and that represents half the cost of my intenderd new front speakers.

I will reiterate....the Arcam is better but by a little not a lot.

9. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    Doing a rough tally on the sums and costs, I think that building in the UK might have more than a little to do with it. Rotel products (exclusively Japanese built) also carry a correspondingly higher price tag.

Both the above amps are built in smaller quantities and are affected by the economies of scale to boot.

10. fama

fama
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    A quick look at the back of three rotels amps
    says made in china ,also arcam avr 100 was made in prc dont know about newer models have they changed?

11. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Bought one here in NL for 1425 Euro's, which is under 1000 GBP.
    I think that's quite enough for this kit, it's not THAT special!
    But I did run for the door after paying :laugh:
    Barend

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    so you got a home demo to compare the kit and now you are trying to penny pinch the item from net retailer (i am sure Arcam have no mail order policy!) and sticking 2 fingers up to the dealer who gave you a home demo!!!!
    If you think it is overpriced at £1300 go to the dealer and negotiate, dont run to the cheapest box shifter or the dealer wont be there to offer the home demo on your nex bit of kit!

13. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Calm down! :nono:
    Not that it's any of your business, but for the nicer guys on this forum I might explain:
    I am in the position to buy everything I like and then sell what I don't want to keep.
    So right now my 3805 and HK 5550 are for sale.
    I never had a home demo in my life!
    So take your anger elsewhere before you start making wild accusations. :censored:
    BTW- I bought the unit in a normal shop after it was offered to me at the said price - I don't believe there are any Arcam box shifters anyway.
    Barend

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    BArend calm down i was replying to Chalkycardiffs original post not yours where you buy your kit is your business what you do with it also, someone is on edge and its not me!
    But people abusing dealers and buyong off the net without even asking the dealer if they can do anything in terms of a better deal is plain rude. Also not willing to pay a bit extra for well trained staff, comfortable demo facilities and good advice is well very rude!

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    This actual post

16. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Agree on what you are saying. Sorry if I picked on the wrong man.
    But UK hifi shops appear very different from the Dutch, most around here have no...well...love for the stuff they sell, they just try to lure you into spending as much as possible, and show little competence: moreoften than not teenagers seem to run the show, gimme an older guy who has the experience and knows what he's talking about anytime...
    That said, I'm not a big fan of shop demos, home demos are better but often too short I think...which I why I buy as I do...
    Cheers
    Barend

17. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Well i may be young but i am passionate about what i sell, i hope knowledgable and try to provide the best service i can.

18. ChalkyCardiff

ChalkyCardiff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    At the end of the day Horny the dealer will get the opportunity for the sale. You should think before you type, if your in the trade you are bound to support the dealer community.

As a consumer the dealers are interested in taking my money, I have to ensure that I get a good deal where we both win ideally. Just because I've had demos doesn't mean I should be ripped of and over charged compared to the rest of the market. I am not obligated to buy because I've had a demo.

The dealer will be given the opportunity to supply the amp after my research on pricing is complete.

Because of the home demo's i've had i am prepared to pay more at the dealers than the lowest price on the web as a thank you but no more than £75 more than I can one online.

I think that is a fair arrangement.

19. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Well i guess thats OK then but £75 IMHO is not a lot for what you should get from a good dealer (If you are using a good dealer that is).

20. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    also there are less and less amps in that kind of price range that will be available online pretty soon, denon are the only one i don't know about yet but cut price web deals on this kind of price of amp will become less likely in the future. The price difference needs to be worth it to you, personally i like arcam's style of sound much more than i do denon's but it's personal taste and for my movies and my music.
    I definately agree with hornydragon that you seem to have received a demo on the denon yet you compare the web price as if you would buy online! and you wonder why dealers have to keep their prices higher, what will everybody do when the dealer goes out of business, just buy systems and hope they're as good as they should be?

21. ChalkyCardiff

ChalkyCardiff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I also work in sales and have learnt that because you demo and have the best after-sales and backup it doesn't mean you get every deal.

My dealer hasn't worked particularly hard. I've told them what i wanted to listen to, gave him £900 on my credit card and was given the box with the amp in.

No help was given for installation etc. The dealer has simply lent me the kit.

Now if the dealer had brought the amp to my house, installed it, set it up correctly, then I would be more obligated to purchase from them. That is the kind of service i would happily pay a premium for.

My total spend will be nearly £4500 and I expect a good deal when spending this kind of money.

Yes, i agree a dealer needs to charge more than an online supplier but I feel the need to strike a balance between price and service.

The other dealer i had a demo with(in his shop) will not get an opportunity with the amp but will get my order for speakers.

I try to be fair but not always possible.

22. Shaka

Shaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hey Chaps,

I think this thread is beginning to degenerate a bit. In my opinion as a consumer, I feel that just because you demo a product from a particular dealer, doesn't mean you should feel obligated to buying from that dealer even though you can get it cheaper elsewhere.
    I'm all for supporting your dealer and being loyal, but at the end of the day you're a consumer and want the best deal.
    I usually purchase most of my products from my local dealer just because they give me good service and their prices. Although not always cheaper, they're are still reasonable. But there have been a couple of occasions when the price difference has been significant enough for me to purchase elsewhere.
    You wouldn't buy a car from a dealer just because he let you take it for a test drive if you could get it £2000 cheaper from another one, would you.
    I hope we can leave this at that now and talk about the hardware and not why you should or shouldn't buy from a certain dealer.

23. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    For a dealer to come round to your house to set up an amp for a home demo involves a great deal of time on his behalf. Most Hi-Fi stores cannot justify having huge numbers of staff therefore doing this during the day is impossible. If it can't be done during the day then it means that the dealer has to then go out on his own time after work, which I'm sure he has precious little of anyway, and wire up a system which he has no guarantee in selling. Being able to take equipment back to your house to listen to it is a great privilege in itself not only compared to online dealers which you no chance of that but also with most other electrical dealers in this country. Try asking Comet or John Lewis if you can take home a home cinema system for demo. I appreciate you want to get as much for your money as possible, don't we all, but please think about how much effort a lot of dealers already make for their customers compared to any other type of retailer.

24. Shaka

Shaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I totally understand what you're saying. If I ever had someone come round to my house and set everything up for me to demo, then as long as I liked the equipment I would most definitely purchase from that dealer. I wouldn't ask them to all do that for me if I had intentions of buying from someone else, that'd be just plain rude.
    I've never actually had a home demo before and if I do in the future, I'd probably set the equipment up myself. Anytime I have demo'ed at my dealer ("Loud & Clear in Glasgow), if I liked the product, I bought it from them and didn't go elsewhere.

Hope that clears that up !?!?

So, as I've said before, I really like the Denon 3805, is the Arcam significantly better or not? Does the i-link make a siginificant improvement to SACD/DVD-A? How does the Pioneer AX5i compare with the 2 above and the Yamaha 2400rds?
    Finally will the new KEF egg speakers be a good set-up with either of these amps? I'd like to move towards the compact speaker set-up, but don't want to sacrifice sound quality or 'size'!! Anyone know how they'd compare with my existing KEF Q35's.

25. liteswap

liteswap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Back to the original question: I've seen ads from Hi-Spek selling the AVR300 at just under £1,000. Can't find the deal on their Web site but a call to 01727 791 133 would fix this...

26. parrydave

parrydave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Liteswap,

where did you see these Hi-Spek ads?
    I just called them and they are selling at £1299

I already have an AVR300 - bought for £1199 from B&B Reading.
    I got it on Barclaycard because they will match any price within 60 days.

If I can find an ad for <£1000, barclaycard will refund the difference. B&B still get their full whack for excellent service, and I get a good price thanks to B/C.

cheers

27. liteswap

liteswap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It was in a couple of the recent mags -- one was Home Cinema (Choice?), other in HiFi Choice. I just emailed them, parrydave, and got the same response as you. Maybe it was a misprint...

28. parrydave

parrydave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe it was an ExDem unit or something they advertised.
    Never mind.

If there is a deal out there, I need to find it in the next few weeks to take advantage of Barclaycard offer!

Time is ticking!

29. ChalkyCardiff

ChalkyCardiff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi-Spek are adverstising the AVR300 for £999 in What-Hifi.

I called them a couple of weeks ago and they are willing to supply at the advertised price as long as you collect as they can't supply Arcam by mail order.

This was one of my original reasons for starting this thread. I could travel to them with my job quite easily, as I've stated before when I go back to my dealer on Monday morning i want to give them the opportunity but i will show him What-Hifi and if he can get to £1100 I will deal locally.

Following from what Horny said, I think £100 more than a competitor is fair seeing as they provided the demo.

Does anyone disagree??

Does anyone think the Arcam is worth another £300+ over the Denon?????

30. ChalkyCardiff

ChalkyCardiff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    When calling them tell them you are looking at the advert in the magazine otherwise they will say £1299.

If they start squirming remind them of trading standards and advertising. Also this price was quoted the month before in What-Hifi as well. So if it was wrong they didn't change it.