1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone got their 9986 working with PC?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by ukmgranger, Apr 11, 2005.

1. ukmgranger

ukmgranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I just recently got my 32pf9986 and am trying to get it set up with my HTPC.

I do all of my viewing through this PC as I use SageTV which allows me to view TV, DVD's listen to music etc.

I am having trouble getting the resolution settings right on the PC - I can only seem to a good looking display at 1280x720 however this res has a 2-3cm black border around the edge (not good :()

I have powerstrip installed and have tried some resolution suggested on the powerstrip forum (such as 1360x768, 1366x768) but to no avail.

Has anyone actually got this going?

The 9986 is a superb screen but I am now beginning to worry that I have spent 2K on a screen that simply cant work with my setup. :rolleyes:

Any help would be superb!

System Spec:
    P4 3gHz Northwood
    nVidia 6800GT
    2x Hauppauge PVR250
    winxp SP2
    DX 9c

2. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I think that is the way this screen works, but Jimsan will be along shortly to confirm one way or the other. There are screens that do this the Sharp was one, but you cannot find them any more! Do a search on the forum, because this has been covered before.

3. ukmgranger

ukmgranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen a few threads arounf this topic, but I have failed to see any conclusions. I'm not sure if anyone has actually done it or not.

4. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Ive read many times that the 9986 (among others) wont take 1366x768, but after more diggin around on the subject of LCDs in general, there maybe a few things you can try. (Dunno if it will work though)

Have you tried adding a custom resolution in Forceware display app? The latest 71.84's are "supposed" to bypass the LCDs EDID. If it gets rejected, there may be some things you can try in Rivatuner.

If you open it up and go to Low Level refresh rate settings, then monitor driver wizard tab, you can access the LCDs EDID info. (This should show you the current max supported PC res the LCD is set to take) From this, you can create a monitor driver .inf file (click the create button after you have ticked all the resolutions shown) that you can then open up with notepad and change the max resolution under the [RES] section to 1366x768. You can then try and install the custom display driver instead of using the default XP plug and play driver for the LCD. It might work, but then again it might not. :)

5. ukmgranger

ukmgranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info DanH. Of course this has thrown up a few more questions!!

I have managed to open 'nStantMedia' and change the resolution in there to 1360x768. The TV (when I switch to the DVI input) tells me that it is running at 1080i. Is the PC actually outputting 1360x768 or is it just defaulting to 1080i? nStantMedia looks pretty good at this resolution.

next question is: How do I apply this setting to windows XP, as the PC only switches to 1360x768 nStantMedia loads (and as soon as you 'tab' out of this app, the resolution changes to the current XP resolution (1280x720).

6. ukmgranger

ukmgranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - I have got slightly further.

I have swapped my DVI cable for a VGA one. This seems to have allowed me to apply more resolutions than before.

Using 'powerstrip' I have managed to get a resolution of 1366x768 which is good and clear. The black borders have gone from the top and bottom of the screen but there are still borders along the left and right hand side.

Anyone care to give a bit of advice on how to get rid of the rest of the borders?

7. ariomanus

ariomanus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

as you can read in more detail in other threads it's not possible to get rid of the borders on the right and left side at the 9986.

Regards
    Ariomanus

8. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    If its outputting at 1366x768, how or why are there borders on each side? The picture shouldnt be scaled at all. Do you have any position/size settings on the 9986? If your using VGA, i dont think it auto adjusts like it does via DVI. (Same principle i assume as TFT monitors, you still have to fiddle with H-Size / V-Size etc to centre it via VGA)

If you have no adjustment options on the TV, you can try and fiddle with the options in Nview Display settings. Under Device Settings > Device adjustments, there are a couple of options for centred output etc. See if they make a difference.

Im still convinced that modifying a .inf file is the way to go for correct output via DVI. The only reason i can think of for this or any other TV that wont take the native res, is it isnt supported/programmed in EDID . And im sure that this can be worked around. I cant see there being something else in the Hardware thats causing the problem, but you never know i guess.

If Sage TV allows video overlays, you can play with the Video Overlay Settings aswell, but this might only apply to video playback, not the GUI.

Whats nstantmedia by the way?

9. ukmgranger

ukmgranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It must be possible?!?!

Why would a company create an LCD that has borders? that just sounds daft

10. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you use this mode it is not possible to get rid of the borders.
    The only fullscreen mode on this TV is 1080i which is 1920x1080 interlaced.
    (at 50 Hz or 60 Hz)

Of course with VGA you can change the horizontal resolution as long as the vertical resolution and frequency remain the same. The TV won't know this and will just sample 1024 pixels. It can scale this to 15:9 but not to 16:9 so you get black borders on the sides. To get 1:1 aspect ratio you need to set the PC to 1280x768.

It sure is a pity that it does not accept pixel-for-pixel 1366x766.
    I think this has been done because Windows drivers often don't show nonstandard resolutions anyway, so users would just be confused when a resolution like 1366x768 is shown in a manual.

11. Alan111S

Alan111S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

I got my 9986 working in 1280 x 768 mode, using VGA.

It has black borders left and right and displaying a WMV-HD 720p trailer leaves borders top and bottom as well (because the trailer is 16:9 1280 x 720). However, the picture looks amazing and I believe it is 1:1 pixel mapped. I think this is why Philips has forced the borders on the user. To prevent the TV scaling a 720p picture from 1280 x 720 to 1368 x 768.

You could always use 1920 x 1080, which the TV will scale down to a full screen image.

HTH

Alan

12. ukmgranger

ukmgranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nstantmedia is the software that comes with forceware. It allows you to watch dvd's/media using a '10 foot' UI. You can also go into its setting to set the screen resolution that it uses (it sets this resolution at run). I thought that this was the forceware app that you talked about in your earlier post.

For your info I can't adjust any scale settings on the LCD itself.

I am clinging onto hope that there is a way of getting around the border issue. :suicide:

Now, I'm not very clued up on mitors and resolutions (this is all new to me) so would it be possible for you (DanH) to explain step by step (assume that I am a four year old) how I would create a driver in Rivatuner.

In terms of what I know about monitors - It's not much at all (I'm not sure what EDID is) but it seems I am learning fast.

Please be patient with me!

13. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I was referring to just the bog standard display settings in the Nvidia drivers. If you have a look in nView Display settings > Device Settings > Change Resolution you can try adding a custom res etc. Also, you will see a tickbox for "Show Standard HDTV Formats", if you click that, then exit the display app, when you open it up again you will get choices for 720p, 1080i etc. Give those a try too. As previously mentioned, they will be scaled by the TV so not 1:1, but still might look ok, you never know.

As for the "Make Your Own Driver" firstly, download the latest version of RivaTuner if you havent got it already.
    Once thats sorted, open up RivaTuner. On the "Main" tab (should be first to pop up) you will see general info for your Graphics Card and drivers. Click the little customize button under your Graphics card and a set of icons should pop up. Click on "Low Level Refresh Rate Settings" icon, then "Monitor Driver Wizard" tab. This should show info and adjustments for the display. Click on the "Get EDID info" button on the bottom left. In the list of available display modes, next to each resolution you will see grey ticks, click them for all display modes to select them all. Then click the "Create" button. It will ask you where you want to save the .inf file. Call it what you want and save it somwhere. Now, exit RivaTuner and find the file you just saved, right click it and open with notepad.

Now, the theory is, to change the Max Res entry to 1366x768 (might also have to put another entry under Mon.AddReg) and save the file. Then open up Control Panel > System > Hardware Tab > Device Manager > Monitors > Plug and Play monitor, and update the driver to the one you just created.

The only thing im not sure about, is the extra line needed in Mon.Addreg. If you look at the .inf file in notepad, you will see an entry there that corresponds with the settings back in RivaTuners "Monitor Driver Wizard". These settings are for the Different Horizontal and Vertical scan frequencies, which are relevant at 1280x768 (or whatever the Max Res is showing) but probably wont be for 1366x768. So, may need a bit of faffing about with to get right. (assuming this works at all that is)

Dont suppose you have this info in the back of the 9986's manual or something?
    I havent got any way of testing this, or playing around with it as a dont have a 9986 sitting here unfortunately :(, but its worth a go at least.

14. ukmgranger

ukmgranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been persuing this issue on the Powerstrip forum too.

I just received some (possibly) useful information on there. Take a look here

I won't have a chance to try out the last bit of info, but I will post when I give it a go!

15. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I don't see any mention of 1280x768 in any of these posts. This is available with my FX5200 and displays a beautiful, stable digital image that only misses 40 pixel rows on each side. Not perfect, but OK.

The problem could be insurmountable as the TV will not support its native resolution. Bizzarre, but true.

Jimmy

16. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    It might not be able to run it, but you have to explore everything. At least i would having spent that much money on something. 1280x768, while it might be nice, isnt the native resolution, and as such turns the 9986 into a 15:9 panel. Viewing a DVD for example would result in borders at the top/bottom, and the sides. I would be pretty unhappy paying for a 32" set, and not getting it.

The TV can obviously utilise the 1366x768 resolution, but its getting it to accept it through the DVI port. One of the problems being the TV reports itself to windows as only displaying a max resolution of 1280x768. The above steps may work around this issue and force the correct resolution of 1366x768. Whether or not the TV can actually display it is another question, but like i said, certainly worth ago if at least to rule the possibility out.

17. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It's pretty obvious that Philips didn't reckon that PC usage was all that important. This problem with displaying its native resolution over DVI is a pain for a lot of folks and may well spoil, for them, what is an otherwise stupendous TV.

Jimmy

18. shaddow2005

shaddow2005
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Because it supports the native resolution for PC Input.

The Toshiba was my 1st choice, after reading many glowing reviews..

But I know what a normal LCD PC screen looks like when it is not dispaying native resolution (crap or blank bars) and that just aint on, not for a £1000 tv!

:thumbsdow

19. kh103

kh103

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have to ask yourself why you actually need fullscreen at the native resolution of the screen. It's not difficult to lower the resolution when, for example, playing a DVD, as the resolution of the video on the DVD will be significantly lower than what is supported by the screen.
    I run my 32PF9976 at 1280x768 for web browsing etc but switch it to 800x600 when viewing (standard) video. For HiDef stuff it is switched it to a 1080i compatible resolution.

20. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need the native resolution to use the TV with a Media PC.
    Native resolution because you don't want the TV to scale the gui widgets and text, and full screen because you bought a 32" 16:9 TV and not a 30" 15:9.

Also resolution changing just adds to the hassle. Why complicate things that could be simple? It is against the Philips marketing theme.

21. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Yep, the Phillips may be a great screen, but connectivity is not it's strong point.

22. MAC_NL

MAC_NL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

FINALLY IT WORKS!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

For all of you trying to get full screen (without any black borders) view using DVI input from a PC here are the correct settings:

Download Powerstrip, a try-before-you-buy shareware tool to set resolutions you normally can't set with you standard video card settings.

You can download it here: http://entechtaiwan.net/util/ps.shtm

Set the resolution to 992x558 @ 50Hz using Powerstrip (standard PAL HDTV resolution in the Powerstrip defaults list). Now stretch your screen horizontally and vertically with the arrow buttons in the Advanced Timing Options in Powerstrip. Don't forget to check the box "Lock scan frequencies" otherwise your screen goes crazy after two clicks. If you get the 'Can't Handle this Resolution' blue screen message from your TV press the “backspace” button on your PC to go back to the previous setting.

Good Luck!

BTW: If anyone succeeds to set full screen in a higher resolution, please post the settings here.

Best Regards,

Marcel Cauli
    The Netherlands

23. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    If your happy with that Mac, then nice work, but for most people they want to be able to use the full 1366x768 resolution of the TV. Using a lower resolution and then stretching to fit ruins the picture quality compared to just displaying what TV should be capable of.

24. ukmgranger

ukmgranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well done Mac!

It's a start at least. It's the best/highest useable resolution yet!!

as you say - if anyone gets any closer to the magical1366x768 post it here.