Has anyone got one of these?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by 1iam5mith, Aug 11, 2013.

1. 1iam5mith

1iam5mith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +812
    WD My Net N900 with 2TB HDD?
    WD My Net N900 with 1TB HDD?
    WD My Net N900?
    WD My Net N750?
    WD My Net N600?

Which do you have and how does it perform? I currently have a BT Openreach fibrebox with a Plusnet technicolour attached, for my 60/20 connection. I want to replace the technicolour box because the range on it is awful (tried every channel, and possible location in the house for it), keeps dropping connection and it is really slow. So above are my options, mainly because they seem great value for money, especially the ones with HDD's built in. But the WD My Net models have very mixed reviews. So do any of you have any of the models above? If so, how are they?

If not what can you recommend?

2. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,712
    What "performance" are you interested in...? e.g. WAN-To-LAN, wi-fi, HDD..?

That said, your symptoms sounds a lot like wi-fi interference. You could do worse than have a look at the FAQ's in this forum. If you are suffering wi-fi interference issues, it's by no means certain that a new router would fix it.

However, some of the models you list are 5GHz Wi-Fi capable. If you also have 5GHz capable client devices, you (currentlly) stand a better chance of finding a fairly clear channel in the 5GHz band.

3. 1iam5mith

1iam5mith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +812
    Yes I meant WiFi, should have been clearer

I dont think it is interferance, my old one was great, its ever since I have had this Plusnet supplied one, I have tried changing wireless channels, no joy. My old sky supplied one had a great range, all the house, back garden etc... but this one barley covers the whole house ...
    When I am in range of it, I have full signal from it.

Anyway, I want a new one anyway lol

Of the ones listed above, which would you go for?

4. ianbuckley

ianbuckley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Repeatedly dropping signal and slow WiFi throughput is a classic symptom of a faulty micro filter or lack of, especially if it all worked ok before. I'd check this first as it could save you a packet.

5. cjed

cjed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +587
    I have also have been tempted by the cheap deals on the WD My Net N900 Central 2TB model (currently around £78 from PC World's eBay shop). I've had a quick play around with it after updating to the latest firmware.

It's performance as a NAS is poor - around 18 MByte/s read and 12 MByte/s write in some quick tests with large files. However, if you open it up you'll find it has a standard WD WD20NPVT 2TB IntelliPower 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Notebook Hard Drive in it (caution: this is a 15mm thick drive and so doesn't fit the majority of modern laptops). It appears to be connected via a USB - SATA bridge (which won't help performance). The N900 without internal HD has 2 external USB ports, the N900 Central only has 1.

On the plus side, the Admin interface is pretty good and it's very easy to turn it into a dual band AP (one selection in the admin interface) with 4 port gigabit switch. So I've pulled the drive out of mine and am using it as an access point. So far so good, but I don't have a large number of WiFi devices so can't really comment on performance or long-term stability.

The major down side is that the low prices indicate that WD is getting out of the router market so future bug-fixes and firmware upgrade are unlikely.

6. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,712
    Are you referring to DSL micro filters...? If so, the DSL (broadband) link and wi-fi are unrelated and I find it hard to see that a faulty microfilter (which is a passive device) would affect wi-fi transmission unless it's arcing or something....?

However, I agree with the sentient that many people won't make the distinction between the two and will perceive a loss of Internet service (which could be due to microfilter issues) as "dropped signal" even though wi-fi is just fine and it's the Internet link that's bombed.

Most peoples intuiitive idea of "wi-fi signal" is incorrect (not helped by BT's dreadful commercials that perpetuate the mythical version.) I wrote a post that explains how wi-fi really works here... http://www.avforums.com/forums/17547265-post42.html

The OP sounds like he's using an FTTC service, in which case the DSL microfilters should all be gone - the only one remaining is in the new master socket OpenReach should have fitted when FTTC was installed. If that's faulty, I'm not sure if users are at liberty to replace it - maybe you'd need to get BT out to check/change it...?

The routers listed in post #1 have some of the fastest wi-fi link rates available at present, especially the 450mbps variants (if you have compatible clients) and all look like they are "dual band" which avails the option to experiment using the 5GHz waveband (again with compatible clients.) I don't like linking off site (as the links tend to go dead) but I'll break my own rule in this case and offer this link which summarises a fair few in the WDC range...

WD Wireless Routers Overview

I would shy away from trying to use a router as a media server. I'm a "separates" man (in the great hi-fi "separates versus integrated" debate) and tend to favour using separate boxes that are each good at their own thing. If I want media serving, I buy/build a media server. If I need network, I buy network kit though I'm willing to conceed "intergrating" firewall/router/switch/Wi-fi in a single box for SOHO use is convenient and cheap. (In my "professional" hat when building corporate infrastructures, they are all separate things and lots of them.)

Someone recently posted something to the effect that "it's surpising that people expect that a 50 quid router/media server is going to perform as well as a dedicated NAS/media server costing hundreds of pounds" which sounds like good advice to me.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  7. 1iam5mith

1iam5mith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +812
    I wouldn't be using it for media streaming, just for backups and storage

Yes I am using FTTC

When I say dropping WiFi connection, I mean it doesn't even show in available networks randomly...

I think I will either go for the n900 or n750

8. ianbuckley

ianbuckley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Yes you are right about the DSL filter assumption, I was basing it on my own experience a couple of years ago. I don't have FTTC, in fact I don't even have a NTE5 master socket fitted by BT just on old junction box and fixed plate at least 35 years old. As you said few distinguish between WiFi and Internet. My problem turned out to be short circuiting in the external junction box caused by a large spider that had taken up residence.

9. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,712
    LOL - I love stories like that. In my yoof a I knew a washing machine repair man who told me that occasionally mice used to commit suicide on the transformers. Hotpoints were particularly favoured for some reason. Of course, he may have been pulling my leg. :D