1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone got a Rel Q150e that likes it?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Brox, May 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm considering this sub mainly due to its small size, i've currently got a Yamaha sw80. There doesn't seem to be many people who speak highly of the 150. Since I have to make a size compromise is it really not that good??

2. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Going by posts on this forum, the Q150 has had its fair share of problems, mainly with "humming" eminating from it. REL would appear to have addressed this now though so new ones should not be a problem.

As with all subs its a case of finding the optimum position for it within your room. The best sub in the world will sound terrible when not setup properly.

Might be worth doing a search on this forum, quite a few posts have appeared with regard to the Q150.

Best get a demo and see what you think of it. The other sub to consider is the Q200, again this can be a corker when well set up.

3. baileych

baileych
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, I've got a Q150E and love it! To be honest I haven't listened to many other subs but... it goes low, it's punchy, it's not too big and it's got enough knobs and is flexible enough to fit in with most setups. I mainly use it for AV purposes rather than music.

Charles.

4. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe I'm just lucky but I have a Rel Q150 that has never 'hummed' and took me about two weeks of tinkering (including a number of run throughs with 'Avia') to get it set-up correctly.

I have listened to a number of other subs (M&K, Kef, B&W) in demos and have yet to hear one that is as fast and mean as the Q150.

I doubt it's the best sub in the World but for the £385 I paid for it, I'm more than happy.

5. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Thumbs up from me too...

Had a KEF 20B before and when I got the REL I was quite surprised at the difference...

;)

JJ

6. Skid Solo

Skid Solo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would highly recomend the Q150, I did hav ean older version that hummed, which has now been replaced, with the new version, totally solved the humming problem.

7. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JasonJo, Can you tell me the differance between the 150 and the 20b, was it deeper punchier etc, is it worth the extra over the £200 (you can get it discounted now) Kef20b

Cheers

8. RAC

RAC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Q150 and it does hum a little bit, but disconnecting the earth on the power lead has sorted it out to all intents and purposes. Basically, I never fiddle with it, it's just there, for movies and for music. It is only noticeable when you turn it off (as it should be). I love its size in that it sits innocuously under a desk at the back of the room.

The one thing I would say about it is that it works much better when I connect it just using the phono lead allowing my pre-processor to handle the bass management, than when it was connected with the Neutrix connector, effectively bi-wired from the main L-R speakers, allowing the REL crossover setting to handle the bass control. It always sounded way too boomy then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.