1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone got a Panasonic DVD Recorder/Hardrive (DMRHS2EBS)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Nnooo, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Nnooo

Nnooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone got a Panasonic DVD Recorder/Hardrive (DMRHS2EBS)

If so could you post a review. As I am thinking of getting one and I would like to know:

1) If its any good (Obviously)
    2) If it is multi region out of the box, and if not how to make it so
    3) How it compares to Tivo/Sky + for recording tv programmes while your not in
    4) Anything else that you think is relevant.

Cheers

2. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    It is superb. I have no regrets about buying it except that the next model will have a bigger hard drive, so be even more superb, if that is possible.

You hardly need any -ram media as the hard drive holds the programs until you either delete after viewing or archive to -R media at approx £1 a shot, with prices dropping all the time. The machine comes with 2 -ram discs, don't make the mistake I made and order more with the machine until you find out whether or not you need them, just get some -R media to get you going.

It is region 2 as standard but is availble in multiregion form at £829 from multiregionmagic, where mine came from.

The time shift features are excellant allowing you to view programs that are recording. view a previous recording whilst making another, or allowing current tv to be paused whilst you do something else and catch up later.

I have no problems with setting the timer functions, just ensure my digibox is set to send the right channel through the personal planner. I believe it can be set up so that the personal planner autoview starts the recorder recording, but this can't use rgb quality. As my daughter also uses autoview a lot to remind her when her programmes are on, I dont want the recorder starting up for these as well, so don't use this feature.
    I dont have Sky+ or Tivo as these would now be superfluose anyway, but have read that Sky+ quality is equivalent but Tivo is noticeably poorer, although obviously all hugely better than videotape. I can see no noticeable difference between the direct tv picture from Sky and the SP mode on the recorder which has 18 hours capacity on the hard drive and 2 on a dvd media, in that mode.

3. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    The combination of a harddisc recorder and a DVD recorder is hard to beat. As someone without time to watch what I want when it is transmitted and wanting the best quality recording I went for the two box option of matching a Sky+ and a Philips DVDR880. Linked by RGB scart the record quality on (2 to 2.5 hrs per disc) is excellent for those programmes (virtually no difference from the broadcast quality) I want to keep permantly.

I did not need the "time-slip" ability of the Panasonic recorders as the Sky+ does this seamlessly. I did want MP3 and multiregion to remove the need for another DVD player so the Philips was a better option for me. I am not very price sensitive over the media and accept DVD+R and RW blanks are more expensive

Total price about £700 plus the hated £10 per month to Sky but with great flexibility and ease of use. The Sky+ software is excellent and the ability to record two channels simultaneously is valuable as is the ability to remove ad breaks and red spots (personal hates).

So far very pleased with the choice. YMMV

Regards
    Chris

4. Nnooo

Nnooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well sounds like the panasonic could be the one for me!! Particularly if I can get sky to change to the right channel for recording.

All it means is that I have to select the programmes I want recorderd, wheras Tivo/Sky+ will do all that for me.... But the fact that iI can record a bunch of stuff and then archive some of it to dvd is ace!!

Cheers Guys

5. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have found a snag when using the personal planner and autoview on my sky box. There is something like a 1 in 5 chance of the autoview to a channel kicking the digibox out of RGB mode. It then sends a normal video signal despite still being set to send RGB, and if you have the recorder set up to receive RGB you just record a blank screen and sound. This can be confirmed by altering input to video and the picture returns. Turn off the digibox and on again and rgb is restored, and an input set to video also goes blank as rgb is reset.

This has proved such a pain and unreliability that I now record from the other output and use video only.

You would not be able to tell by watching the tv that this has happened as the tv input scart will autodetect a rgb or normal signal and show a picture regardless of whether the signal passing through the recorder is rgb or not. Only when playback is attempted does the blank screen appear.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    The HS2 is a fantasic piece of kit. You can record programmes onto the HDD in XP mode (top quality), edit as required and use flexible bitrate to copy to DVD-R.

The same flexibility will soon also be available in -RAM formats in machines from Toshiba, JVC and Hitachi. Pioneer and Sony will be releasing HDD/-RW combos (which should offer the same sort of flexibility). Of course +RW, being a linear format cannot do a HDD combo until (if?) Philips writes suitable conversion software.