Has anyone got a DVHS player?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Rob20, Oct 8, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    I know this is the dvd section, but I didn't know where to put it. Anyway, I noticed that dvdboxoffice sells DVHS films and I was wondering whether anyone actually has a player, and what the PQ is like. Apparantly it's the only way to get hi-def movies, (until Blu-Ray/HDD). It seems like the films are 1080i. Though 1080 by what I have no idea!?

1) are they much better than dvd?
    2) How much does a player cost?
    3) was the format ever released in the uk? (I vaguely remember a JVC 1000!?)
    4) are there any pal tapes?
    5) is this the hi-def format mags use to test hi-def performances of lcd/plasma screens?

2. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    European models like JVC1000 does not support High def. Sorry.
    This recorder had a price aroun 2000 eur.

3. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    This thread is probably more suitable for the high definition forum, where I think several people (including me) have JVC dvhs players. If you go to CRT Projectors' website you can find all about them. PAL/NTSC formats are not applicable to high definition. You simply buy a US player and plug it in with a transformer and connect via component to a high-def compatible display (this is where the much-maligned ALiS screens eg Sony and Hitachi come into their own). Even on my comparatively tiddly 32-inch screen, dvhs makes dvd look like vhs. Increased sharpness is only part of the story - the other part is hugely richer colours. On large screens, I'm told, the effect is even more stunning. There's a limited choice of software - something like 70 movies I think. Of course the format will be superseded by high-def dvd when it comes along, so dvhs is really an expensive toy with a limited life.

4. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have the Philips badged version of the JVC1000. I purchased it two or three years ago and I must admit that I am really pleased with it ... as a source for my projector it is excellent. However as I live in Dublin I found it very difficult to source D-VHS tapes and importing them was expensive.

I believe that you can use S-VHS tapes but as I had sourced 50 tapes from the US I never tried S-VHS tapes. There are a few sources in the UK and D-VHS tapes were (possibly still) available from www.computeruniverse.com (Germany).

The D-VHS format was never really supported in Europe and machines that were available were expensive and difficult to source. As far as I remember there were units available from JVC, Philips and Thompson and as mentioned above the Philips was really only a re-badged JVC and as far as I remember I purchased the Philips unit for about Euro 1600. The local supplier quoted me the equivalent of £3000 sterling for the JVC and the tuner was not even suitable for use with the local NTL cable system.

The firewire connection was crippled (one way only) and when I tried to connect it to my PC I managed to disable all functions but after a few days I managed to get the VCR working again. Note: My PC recognised it as being a JVC digital VCR but other than that I could achieve very little so I gave up.

The more recent generation now available in the USA appear the be very different as they offer HD and they have proper output/inputs ... I am seriously considering importing one.

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,042
    PAL is a way to encode colour info in SD material.

DVHS is currently a 60hz refresh HD source. There are lots of folk who own it. I have one. have friends who bought JVC30,000 hd decks for £300 imported. Is is better than DVD...yes by miles. If you can get stuff folk have recorded off HD broadcast you can get MEGA stuff.

Gordon

6. davidredge

davidredge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I remember ages ago about dVHS, but assumed it had faded into non-existence! Whats the deal with it now then?

7. thesnowman

thesnowman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Quick question
    can a U.S dvhs recorder be used in England (because of the pal/ntsc difference)
    would it require any modifications to record uk pal tv

and

Does anyone know where I can purchase a dvhs recorder in england at a resonable price.
    A friend of mine was supposed to buy me one from the states as he normally goes on holiday to america every christmas, but not this year.

I have seen some being sold on ebay by sellers from the U.S willing to ship to england
    How safe is this?
    would I be stiffed by customs? (I ask because I once imported an electrical good from the U.S and ended up paying an additonal £60 Tax charge.

8. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    They can't record PAL

9. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    CRT Projectors (website is crtprojectors.co.uk) sell the JVC dvhs player for £699. A lot more than you'd pay in the US but they've taken care of all the import hassle and include a high-quality transformer. I bought mine from them, am delighted with it of course, and they also have an excellent reputation for dealing with anything that ever goes wrong. Personally I'd run a mile before trying to buy or sell anything on ebay, but I know billions of people disagree!

10. thesnowman

thesnowman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Bernard Barnett- are the dvhs recorders that CRT Projectors selling modified to record off PAL tv source ie SKY.

Do you use pal tapes or ntsc?

can a ntsc tape record PAL source?

Do they even produce PAL tapes here in England, I ask cause DVHS is pretty much unheard of in the UK

11. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is wise of you to seek advice through a forum such as this. You really do need to research this before you decide to buy.

Why do you want to buy a D-VHS VCR? There may be better solutions.

You can save a lot by importing from the USA but as it would appear that you lack experience you might be better advised to source from within the UK (I assume you are based in the UK).

I have used ebay but I would not buy an item such as this through ebay as your life could become very complicated. If it does not function you won't really know if you are at fault or if the seller sold you a pup.

The same tapes are used to record PAL and NTSC.You can buy D-VHS tapes in the UK (I live in Ireland and I purchased about 50 about two years ago from a supplier in the UK... at this stage I cannot remember the supplier's name, I will check and get back to you). BTW ... you can actually use SVHS tapes.

You will not get a current generation domestic D-VHS machine modified for PAL ... if you do buy one from the USA you will need to feed it via S-Video or Firewire (ie you will need to purchase a PAL tuner with suitable outputs). You can purchase D-Theatre videos from the US or Canada and replay them if you have a HDCP compliant TV or projector.

I have ordered a JVC unit from the USA (B&H) it cost me the equivalent of Euro 500 and I will be charged about Euro 130 VAT/DUTY/Handling charges on entry into the EU ... I hope to have it by the end of next week and if you wish I can provide you with more info as soon as I get it working.

12. thesnowman

thesnowman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks

Is it possible to record PAL source via scart/phono without the need of a PAL tuner, I ask this because I have got a US Tivo which can record perfectly from my sky digibox via scart without the need of pal modification

Please do, I would be very greatful
    Thanks

13. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Others can correct me ... as far as I know the PAL/NTSC issue is not relevant if you record directly via SCART from your SKY Digibox as the recording is digital and not modulated analogue. You will need to replay using the component outputs or the s-video outputs.

I already have an old Philips clone of a JVC D-VHS VCR and the quality is amazing.

I have checked and getting tapes in the UK will be a problem as most suppliers appear to no longer carry stock. Your only choice may be to import from the USA.

Visit http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
    They sell the JVC DF420AU for $19.99 ... avoid these as the price makes no sense especially as they sell the DF300 for $9.99 or the Maxell DF-300 at $8.99.

If you buy ten you will be charged $57 delivery and VAT when the goods land in the UK. The total cost to you will be about Sterling 110.

According to many users in the USA they cannot see any difference between good quality S-VHS and D-VHS tapes so this is an option worth considering.

14. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sorry for late reply but Infomatique has answered the questions. CRT Projectors also sell prerecorded tapes. The US magazine Widescreen Review also has an online shop selling them.

15. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Hi,

As quoted by infomatique:

"Others can correct me ... as far as I know the PAL/NTSC issue is not relevant if you record directly via SCART from your SKY Digibox as the recording is digital and not modulated analogue. You will need to replay using the component outputs or the s-video outputs."

PAL/NTSC is relevant if you record from your skybox. The signal is PAL irrespective of it being rgb, s-video, composite or component video. The recording may be 'digital' when it's on your skybox but you have NO way to access that signal. When the signal leaves the skybox it's output as PAL.

CRTProjectors web site suggests that the D-VHS recorders will only accept an NTSC signal and will NOT record PAL. A US sourced D-Theatre / D-VHS machine can only be used for playing pre-recorded Hi-Def D-Theatre tapes, HiDef-recordings (from the US), and other Standard definition (ntsc sourced) material.

The JVC 10000 DVHS recorder that was available in the UK (I have one) will only record at half-speed (?) and cannot record HIDef signals at ~25MB/sec. It does record at 12MB/sec and can give you 7hr of high quality recording on a 420 tape. That's better than any DVD recorder can do.

Brian

16. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for this info.

I will know the full story as soon as my VCR arrives.
    I have a Canopus device which converts S-Video to DV and outputs it via firewire ... I will try feeding this to the D-VHS recorder.

17. thesnowman

thesnowman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have been contemplating on making a purchase and just may go ahead but I have a quick question about shipping, which of the shipping method did you use as they offer 4 options. which would you reccommend?

18. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The machine arrived today at 8:30AM (it only took a few days). I will not have much chance to play with it until the weekend ... my old D-VHS recordings (recorded using my old PAL D-VHS recorder) playback perfectly so the next problem is to workout how to record from the digital cable box.

I used UPS Express (the default option USPS is the US postal service and they are more expensive than the UPS Express option and they take longer).

19. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried to record via firewire and have not any success.

20. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    Informatique: What was the total price you ended up paying from BHP for the DVHS Player ?

many thanks

21. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was not charged Duty or VAT so the total cost to me was Euro 509.00 (is that about £350?). Don't build up your hopes regarding VAT or Duty ... in the past when this has happened I received a bill from the courier at a later date. My suggestion is that you add about 20% to the price to allow for worse case.

Unless you intend to use the VCR to replay D-Theatre it will be of little use unless you record to it via a PC. I have placed orders for D-Theatre videos but everywhere appears to be out of stock and there will be long delivery delays.

I cannot get firewire to work between the unit and my PC.

I must admit that I do not like the styling of this JVC VCR.

EDIT - When I responded to this posting I thought that you were the person who started the thread so I included info which may not be of interest to you.

22. thesnowman

thesnowman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    so you can't make any recording, thats disappointing to hear
    thanks for the info and also saving me the hassle of importing one