Has anyone given up the life and gone travelling?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by HouseTonyStark, Feb 19, 2014.

1. HouseTonyStark

HouseTonyStark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +541
    I am on the verge of forging ahead with a decision that will probably affect the next 5-10 years of my life, and may completely alter everything in my future:

Im thinking of selling just about everything i have, and backpacking across the world.

now my current Thoughts are to earn money in some countries (and give myself a base to jump from) by Teaching english, and in other countries(australia for example) by just bumming along on whatever sei decent work i can get to cover my work visa requirements.

for all intents and purposes i could end up spending the next 2+ years on the road as it were, and the thought of this is daunting to say the least. I graduated Uni just over a year ago, and im really feeling like if i dont do this now (25) i may not do it at all, not least because the travel work permits have some age limitations attached!

Im really wondering if anyone has experience of this, or some thoughts?

Thanks

:)

2. pgriffin

pgriffin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    if you don't do it now you WILL regret it for rest of your life...I do. I have lots of friends that have done it and bar 1 its been the best experience of their lives. I always wanted to do it but children got in the way so have to do it 1 place at a time at the moment

3. Steve N

Steve N
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,390
    My daughters doing this - sort off.

She finished uni a few years ago and did the USA first on some sort of scheme called Camp America where you do a bit of teaching/mentoring.
    She then returned to UK to earn a bit more money and went to Australia for about a year working here and there to pay her way.
    She's now back in the UK to get some more cash together and has applied for a visa for Canada - she nearly missed out but got on a reserve list and it looks all systems go now if she can pass some sort of test about Canada.
    My daughter is 27 and I know Canada has an age limitation which is why she is keen to get accepted this time.

4. reiteration

reiteration
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,289
    if you can - do it...

I love to travel, and did a uni placement in germany - this was my first time abroad and one of the best years of my life.. :)

5. qwerty321

qwerty321

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,583
    Someone I used to go to school with has been doing similar for the past few years. He went to Australia and spent a few months exploring and scuba diving. When he ran out of money he worked in bars and stayed in hostels. Did that for a little over a year and when he had more money, over to Thailand for more diving.

He is back in the UK now and plans to save up, get his certifications and teach diving in Thailand.

6. True Romance

True Romance
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,031
    As above if you've got the opportunity then just go for it otherwise you'll be forever thinking what if......

7. chump

chump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,449
    They say you tend to regret the things you didn't do more than those that you did when you're lying on your death bed. I've done a round the world trip twice. Both for just over a year. If you have to beg, steal or borrow do it while you're still young. It's the most important thing I've done in my life. Everyone I know that hasn't done it regrets it massively.

8. richardb70

richardb70
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,460
    As others have said, do it.

I left Uni back in 1991 with a massive debt and a major recession, so I had to wait a few years until I was back in the black before I took off. Did a year in Oz and then almost a year coming back via NZ, SE Asia and India/Nepal. Best decision I've ever made.

Then a few years later, I took off again, doing a bunch more Asian countries that were off limits in the mid-nineties, and luckily got work in Oz for 3+ years as well. Very glad I did this too!

Don't worry about this hurting your job prospects, these trips have come up repeatedly in job interviews and you'll get respect and jealousy. Valuable life skills will be learned.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  9. Bill Hicks

Bill Hicks
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,590
    I did that in 95 (I was 29) I jacked my job in and bought a round the world air ticket from Trailfinders and left the country for a year. Went initially to New York and purchased a Greyhound Ameripass ticket that allowed me unlimited travel on their extensive bus network. Took in around 9 or 10 states then flew out several weeks later from LA to Fiji. Then onto NZ/Australia. Managed to get work in both NZ (on a vineyard) and in Sydney (fast food outlet in Darling Harbour) I had a council flat at the time that I (ahem) "let out" to a friend. Best time of my life and will always look back at that trip as a turning point in my life as I took total control over it. Go and do it mate, after all life can be so much more than living on this tiny island working to pay the bills.
    Good luck :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  10. lucasisking

lucasisking
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20,508
    Do it- oh my God do it.

It's too late for me- I'm much older and I have kids that I couldn't leave for that amount of time. But every fibre of me aches with regret for not taking these kind of chances when I could. We only have one life- its not a rehearsal.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. HouseTonyStark

HouseTonyStark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +541
    Well my initial plan was:

road trip america - do some south america - Aus - NZ - Thailand - Japan - China - trans siberia express home.

the idea being i could break myself in doing the road trip. From what i can see there is very little i can do to get a visa to allow me to bar work etc while in USA! Aus is much more lax on this it seems.

But its becoming ever clear to me that really, i need to do this for a couple of years rather than just the one. And it seems SE Asia is a popular first time place.. Im a bit hindered by the wide array of options!

12. Bill Hicks

Bill Hicks
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,590
    You'll need to spend a lot of time in Asia (not inc Japan, Singapore etc) to save money, you can spend a lot of cash very easily in the western developed countries, if your not careful.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  13. BT Bob

BT Bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,198
    Keith Richards has a saying - "I'd rather regret having done something than regret not having done something!"

Crack on - and best of luck.

If you can get some experience of bar work before you go, you'll always find work....

14. richardb70

richardb70
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,460
    If you're after some easy travelling then Australia and New Zealand are perfect. To get from A to B in Oz you have loads of options (bus, car share, your own wheels, tours etc), and taking public transport means you get the backpacker reps fighting over you when you arrive. I arrived in Sydney initially, worked for a bit (very easy to find work) and then spent 7 months seeing the country (including Tasmania). Back to Sydney for more work at the end, allow time to recharge your travelling batteries by staying put for a while every so often. I did a few organised tours along the way (e.g. Adelaide to Alice Springs via all the sights) as they were well priced and convenient (didn't have my own car).

SE Asia has a very established trail but it's easy to do your own thing for a while (e.g. a side trip to Burma). Pretty easy travelling around there. If you head up to China away from the coast then things get much more tricky with language barriers (e.g. booking train tickets can be a major project). Your money will go much further in this part of the world, though, compared to Oz/NZ/USA.

Good luck and let us know your plans!

15. indianwells

indianwells

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,166
    Lucky bastard. Do it.

16. HouseTonyStark

HouseTonyStark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +541
    Definitely going to do it i think, just working out how i can maximise my time in the uk for skills!

Aaand going to be selling just about everything i own :/

17. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,849
    Didn't sell everything I owed as I didn't have much apart from clothes and CDs, but my biggest regret is not going for longer. I booked an around the world ticket through Trailfinders in 1995 (at the age of 20) and disappeared for 6 months though Thailand, Indonesia, Oz, NZ, Fiji, Hawaii, California. For some stupid reason I only got a holiday visa for Oz and so couldn't earn and stay longer. I worked for a month at a hostel which paid for my bed and beers, but that was it. Looking back now I should've got the work visa and spent a good 1-2 years away instead of just 6 months. Great experience though and it must be a million times easier now with email, mobiles and the internet. I only had post offices, pay phones and guide books. Would do it all over again in a flash if I didn't have commitments

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  18. heathen666

heathen666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,543
    Do it!!

In the late 90s I spent a year travelling around SE Asia - India, Nepal, Thailand, Camboda, Laos, Vietnam and Malaysia. It's an experience you'll never forget. My only regret is that I came back to the UK so soon. I can only imagine, with how much those countries wanted to advance, how much has changed since then.

19. richardb70

richardb70
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,460
    Wow, blast from the past. Yes, when I set off in the early nineties, it was "Poste Restante" for all your letters and a dog-eared copy of Lonely Planet's "South-East Asia on a Shoestring" :)

Major pain having to phone home telling them to use Poste Restante at say Jakarta, and when you were two weeks away from there, remembering to call home to switch to Singapore (and so on). No internet cafes! That said, it felt like a real adventure at the time, not sure it would be quite the same these days.

P.S. Definitely look into the working year Australian visa. As mentioned earlier, I managed to snarf a 4 year work visa on my second trip by arriving on a tourist visa from Hong Kong with a CV and a pinch of good luck. Turns out I had some obscure IT skill that nobody else in Australia had, and the ABC in Sydney were desperate. Good times. Flat in Coogee overlooking the sea, 20 min bus ride into town. Life was good.

20. Bill Hicks

Bill Hicks
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,590
    The earlier post brought back memories. Pre-internet, all I had was airmail, an occasional expensive phone call home and a copy of Lonely Planet stuffed in my backpack as a guide. Some of the. recommended accommodations were not as written. I got a cab to a cheap hotel that came highly praised in Asbury Park NJ. The place turned out to be a crack house!
    Got outta there fast!!

21. HouseTonyStark

HouseTonyStark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +541
    Thats actually a really cool thought! i had planned on maybe doing SE Asia, then Aus/NZ then the americas, and maybe head back to Aus if i liked it, i have a degree in computer information systems, and hopefully will have a few other useful quals by the time i get back!

22. Bill Hicks

Bill Hicks
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,590
    A good but I guess obvious tip is keep your money with you at all times. I had some travellers checks stolen at a hostel in Arizona after foolishly thinking their lockup bag room was a safe bet.
    Doh!!

23. HouseTonyStark

HouseTonyStark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +541
    i think im going the route of ATMs and stuff like that for the storage, keeping myself on a weekly withdrawal should help to minimize some of that? i reckon i will go this time next year, so i have a lot of time to prepare, and hopefully not talk myself out of it!

24. DylanRash

DylanRash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Wow! I really respect those who have the guts to do this! Immensely jealous too. Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  25. Dextur

Dextur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    I started typing my response but the above is word for word what I would have typed.

I'll just add, you'll always look back with regret that you didn't do it and by that time you'll most likely be in a position, you just can't do it.

26. njdbaxter

njdbaxter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +365
    Know someone who went to spain first and taught English, sort of like an English helper, his Spanish wasn't that good. Then he went travelling, finally stopping in Korea, he has been there for years and got a job teaching English (he cant speak Korean). There are a lot of british out there like him, and their all enjoying themselves judging by the facebook photos. Made many Korean friends, and by the photos, it appears they love drinking and karoke

27. Tempest

Tempest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,104
  28. deantown

deantown
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,581
    Yes go for it . Life is too short ! The years are flying by. Too quickly in my opinion.

29. reiteration

reiteration
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,289
    remember - things you own end up owning you...

30. Lewis Bennett

Lewis Bennett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    While we are getting philosophical, I shall add this

"Life is not a dress rehearsal"

Don't put off the awesome plans you have, as one day the opportunity may not be there.