has anyone faced problems with toshiba SD340?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ashishn, Aug 19, 2004.

1. ashishn

ashishn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just receivd SD-340E from amazon and must say that it looked good but not any more. It is mentioned on the website that the unit has S-Video out but it is does not have one, I tried to play 2-3 mp3 CDs (Samsung, EMTec CD-Rs) and only one was played properly. Sometimes said 'invalid disc' and sometimes recognised as VCD1.1.

Ojne of the DVDs played fine, have not tried all.

The menus donot look impressive.

I tried to play a DivX but player says 'invalid disk', recognised as VCD1.1.

I would give it one more try but am sure that there will be many more problems.

The manual says CDs should be 650MB/74 minutes only :rolleyes: but one of my 800MB CDs played after trying more than once. Could this be the reason?

2. Ade

Ade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yeah, don't trust any web site except the manufacturer's !

Tosh are also conservative with their disk specs - their site states DVD-R only but my SD340 plays DVD-R , +R , -RW , +RW .
    Also they state 74 min CD-R , but mine also plays CD-RW with both 74 and 80 min disks.
    My mp3s played ok on Packard Bell CD-R & Ricoh CD-RW
    and on Verbatim DVD-R & Packard Bell DVD+RW.

Can't comment on DivX on CD - I've only played them on DVD disks.

However, the unit is more 'glitchy' that my old Tosh (which never had a freeze in 5 years). I'm trying to persevere with different manufacturer's disks, but it's a good idea to start with the known brands and work your way down, rather than the other way round!
    Would have thought your Samsung CDs would be ok, though......

3. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hmm, yeah it looks like Amazon's technical data for the Toshiba 340 is a cut and paste from the Pioneer dv-370's technical data (notice the DV-370-K references!) :eek:

But anyway, I can confirm divx (& xvid) play fine on cd-r and cd-rw. I also tried a dvd-r with loads of mp3 albums on it and the Tosh listed 1500 tracks I could play (and it played them well). Haven't had any problems playing mp3s, divx, xvid and dvds. Maybe you've got a faulty unit?

4. ashishn

ashishn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It has realy ****** me off and I am going to buy Philips DVP-630. I heard it is one of the best. I can trust Philips.

I have a feeling from the look of the box that Amazon doesnt sell brand new units.

Ashish

5. chrislayeruk

chrislayeruk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am new to this.
    Has anyone had the problem of using a JPEG disc on CD-R.
    My Player starts to play them as an audio CD. Very bad for the AV system.
    The Tosiba Helpline were no help with any problem beyond reading the manual.
    I have E Mailed them to try to get some progress, anything usefull, I will Post here.
    The player works well with CD Dolby Digital and DTS.
    It Plays MP3 Files on CD-R as well.
    I Tried to make a DIVX disc from some home movie. The SD 340 E would not play this.
    It will not play discs with Windows Movie Maker content either.
    This aspect of things and Toshiba's Helpline indifferance to my trouble has been very dissappointing to me.
    What it does it does very well, but if i cant solve this I will not buy toshiba products again.
    The Mother In Law's Supermarket DVD ( No Brand) plays Jpeg's straight away so I dont see why we should put up with this kind of trouble. Consumer power in the end is all they will respond to.
    Thanks all, Chris :lease:

6. lordnoize

lordnoize
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine does not play DVD+R or -R very well at all
    even on expensive media

pic quality is good through progressive scan though I find some colour bleeding, especially on live concert dvds

7. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    Do a search on this site. The machine is awfull in so many ways. I sent mine back after 2 weeks and kept my old 220 which is better than it in EVERY way.