Has anyone else noticed the price of certain foods going up?

I was out doing my weekly food shopping on Monday and went to buy a pack of 8 activia yogurts! They've increased in price by over 30p and I refused to buy them.

How can they go up such a lot of a matter of weeks, was only a few weeks ago they were £2.98 and now they're £3.30.

Has anyone else noticed any food in the big supermarkets rising that high?:(

_dark_blu

Has anyone else noticed any food in the big supermarkets rising that high?:(

Yes! Several items on my regulars list have increased 30p-40p over the last few months. Luckily some are still frequently put on promotional price so I tend to stock well up during these periods (my kitchen sometimes resembles a warehouse).

But thinking logically this is how the big supermarkets balance the prices on the items they like to show they are continually discounting. 30p off product A, 15p on each of product B and C.

One other tactic is the annoying buy-1-get-1-free offer where they literally double the price of the single item during the promotion which means they're forcing you to buy and pay for 2 of the items and hope you're stupid enough not to realise.

For example tins of Quality Street in local Sainsbury's first came in at £5/tin. A couple of weeks later they went up to £8/tin or 2 for £10. I would hazard a guess that a lot of people jumped in for the 2 for £10 offer as it seems like you're getting the second tin for £2 when in reality you're being led to buy 2 of the £5 tins that were available before!

Cow Puncher

Tin's of corned beef used to be a quid odd but now i can only find it for around £2.50 - £3. The Mrs used to make corned beef hash as a cheap meal for us but when your paying a fiver or more just for the corned beef we've not had it in a while.

Tuna seems to have gone this way aswell.

I used to be one of the ones who bought the BOGOF offers, but now I don't touch them esp chocolates as I'll get fat! lol

the whistler

As well as prices going up, package sizes are being reduced, so although the price may be the same, the amount you get is less. As an example, we used to buy packs of sultanas from one supermarket. A few weeks ago, I though the pack felt smaller than usual. We still had an open packet in the cupboard which was 500g. The new pack was just 400g. The following week I checked in the store and the shelf display said 'new low price' however it didn't say 'new smaller package'. Some supermarkets are advertising new low prices for Christmas sweets. We had an empty tin from last Christmas which was 1.2kg. The same tin this years weighs just 1kg.

harty23

I just bought two 5lb bags of Chicken Breasts... last month - £10 each..

Today - £12 each! That's 20% increase overnight!!! Shocking! :)

I just bought two 5lb bags of Chicken Breasts... last month - £10 each..

Today - £12 each! That's 20% increase overnight!!! Shocking! :)

That's what I mean, how can a supermarket justify the sudden price increase? And I guess one of them sets a price, they all follow it as I noticed the Activia was the same price in Sainsburys last night too.

SevloW

Distinguished Member
Yes ! Loads of price increases in Waitrose and Co-op, especially noticed how Chicken has increased in price. A lot of 20p > 50p increases as well on a range of goods. :(

Jenn

Distinguished Member
dudeness said:
That's what I mean, how can a supermarket justify the sudden price increase? And I guess one of them sets a price, they all follow it as I noticed the Activia was the same price in Sainsburys last night too.

Most likely the manufacturer raised their price a little, transport cost has gone up etc.
Inflation at nearly 6% will affect food like everything else.

BISHI

Distinguished Member
Shop at Lidl - best quality veg at a fraction of the big four prices. Also if you go to supermarkets at exactly the right time ( between 6.30-7.30 PM) you can get discounted stuff coming up to best before date - buy loads and just take it home to freeze it till you need it.

Shop at Lidl - best quality veg at a fraction of the big four prices. Also if you go to supermarkets at exactly the right time ( between 6.30-7.30 PM) you can get discounted stuff coming up to best before date - buy loads and just take it home to freeze it till you need it.

I have often thought of shopping at Lidl, but always chickened out!

Razor

Distinguished Member
Supermarkets are getting more expensive. First they kill small businesses with cheap prices and once they have the monopoly prices start to rise.

mjn

Distinguished Member
We had an empty tin from last Christmas which was 1.2kg. The same tin this years weighs just 1kg.

I've got Roses tins that are 2.8kgs :eek: from many years ago.

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
Not sure I want to remember that, but 5 years ago I could do a small weekly shopping for £20-25 in a supermarket. Now, pretty much the same shopping basket is £40-45 :eek: It is just crazy how quickly the prices are rising.

Same with petrol, but that is a story for another (very long) thread.

kBm

Distinguished Member
That's what I mean, how can a supermarket justify the sudden price increase?

..becuase the product will be on special offer very soon so you think your getting a deal.

I noticed spermarket ad's have small print now, with the 'higher price valid from this date to this date'

I as always thought its illegal to inflate prices only to then offer them at discount price, matching the original price?

MIghtyG

I have often thought of shopping at Lidl, but always chickened out!

Give it a go for a few days worth of shopping, maybe 2-3 meals or something.

Me, my mum and my girlfriend were all a little bit iffy about shopping in the likes of Aldi, Lidil. Now we get the majority of the weekly shop form Aldi, the quality is much higher than you would think too.

For example, I used to buy chicken breasts from Asda at about £2 for 2 breasts, Take them home and spend a few min chopping all the gristle, fat, blood off etc.

Now in Aldi I think im spending £5 for 6 breasts and I havent needed to trim them yet :)

Better quality food (imo) and im saving about £30/week on the food shopping!

jsniper

I certainly have! Especially cereal and pasta. Being a student they are pretty much all I live off. Because cereal is so damn expensive I've started buying weetabix and corn flakes and putting sugar and stuff on them to stop them being boring. Only do it because it's cheaper. Me and one of my housemates will normally chip together and make stew and chilli and stuff like that then freeze it. Purely because food is so expensive :(

dj_padd

..becuase the product will be on special offer very soon so you think your getting a deal.

Thats not true, loads of different factors can cause the cost to go up, like fuel, bad harvest, weather etc

The majority of special offers in supermarkets are funded by the manufactures so supermarkets dont need to inflate the price to then cut it down to make it look like a special offer (i think that would also be illegal)

I certainly have! Especially cereal and pasta. Being a student they are pretty much all I live off. Because cereal is so damn expensive I've started buying weetabix and corn flakes and putting sugar and stuff on them to stop them being boring. Only do it because it's cheaper. Me and one of my housemates will normally chip together and make stew and chilli and stuff like that then freeze it. Purely because food is so expensive :(

Glad it's not just me living on the breadline recently, I dread going shopping :(

jsniper

dudeness said:
Glad it's not just me living on the breadline recently, I dread going shopping :(

I go as long as possible. Between shops because of it. :( it is awful but then again all being well when I graduate I'll have a job that pays well enough for me not to worry about how much the shopping will cost!

kBm

Distinguished Member
The majority of special offers in supermarkets are funded by the manufactures so supermarkets dont need to inflate the price to then cut it down to make it look like a special offer (i think that would also be illegal)

I've often thought how much money Muller are making as their products are always on offer - sometimes ridiciously low, say £3 for 6 corner yoguarts that is BOGOF.

The bad side of this is the local farmers forced to subsidise the discount offers, such as milk, as the power of the big chains is so much - if they dont play ball, they get dropped and lose the distribution.

I noticed the other day that Co-op is pretty high in price too, went to buy some Greek Yogurt which is 98p in Tesco and it's £1.68 in Co-op

dj_padd

One other tactic is the annoying buy-1-get-1-free offer where they literally double the price of the single item during the promotion which means they're forcing you to buy and pay for 2 of the items and hope you're stupid enough not to realise.

For example tins of Quality Street in local Sainsbury's first came in at £5/tin. A couple of weeks later they went up to £8/tin or 2 for £10. I would hazard a guess that a lot of people jumped in for the 2 for £10 offer as it seems like you're getting the second tin for £2 when in reality you're being led to buy 2 of the £5 tins that were available before!

i work in one of the Top 4 supermarkets (7 years) and i have never seen the practice where an items price has gone up just because it is on a bogof, only to be reduced when the offer has finish

the promos for the company i work for usually last for around 3 to 4 weeks. it is not uncommon for the item to be on bogof for the first week and then half price or save for the remaining weeks its on promotion or vice versa, it will then revert back to its original price before it went on promotion

RE the tins of sweets, ours first went on sale at £10 or 2 for £12, they then went to half price for a week or so (4.99) once the half price offer finished they went up to 6.99 and stayed at that price for a number of weeks.
Because the tins had been at 6.99 for so many weeks that is now classed as there new base price and any further offers have to use the 6.99 price as the original price.
They are currently on sale at 4.99 again but are not classed as half price as the base price is now 6.99 not £10

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
LG Display set to launch its own 27 and 32-inch OLED panels in 2023?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts