Question Has anyone else found downloaded content on Sky HD to be better quality than the live broadcast?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by danmick99, Nov 8, 2018.

1. danmick99

danmick99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I watched the excellent Killing Eve recently and was impressed by how good it looked on my 4k TV despite only coming from my Sky HD box. Lots of detail in the image and very sharp. I watched the entire series by downloading each episode to my Sky box. The other day however, I caught a bit being shown live on BBC One HD and was surprised to see the image look incredibly soft, almost like it was only at 720p or possibly lower. This was again through the same Sky HD box on the same TV (a Panasonic FZ802 OLED), the only difference being that this time it was live. I even flicked between regular SD BBC One and BBC One HD and could barely see any difference between them!

Could it be that by downloading it I was getting a full HD version of the show while the broadcast version was transmitted at a much lower quality? Has anyone else noticed this with other programs?

Apologies if this should be posted in a different section, I did look but couldn't see any that would seem to fit it!

2. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    Yes there is a big difference, I recorded Game of thrones and it looked awful, downloaded it instead and it looked great.