1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone else experienced reliability problemns with sky +?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by DonMaico, Nov 18, 2004.

1. DonMaico

DonMaico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought one nine months ago and it will be the third one I shall have tomorrow. All because of lousy or no recording. At first its only partly recorded and then what I had recorded simply disappeared.Also the pause and play back facility doesnt work. The fact that the same thing has gone wrong twice i n nine months doesnt exactly fill me with confidence :mad:
    Surely hard discs should be more reliable shouldnt they?wonder if I would have been better off with normal sky and a standard hard disc recorder?

2. MJ Invincible

MJ Invincible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Don! I (like many others) have experienced similar reliability problems with sky+ within the first year. Your right in saying that hdd should be more reliable - it seems that sky+ can be very unreliable. I have had 2 TiVo's now for a few years, and have never had any problems with their hard disc drives.

As soon as the minumum 12 months subscribtion to sky+ ended, I cancelled my sky+ subscribtion, as problems such as recordings not playing correctly, all recordings being deleted from the planner for no reason, not being able to pause or record, defeated the object of having one in the first place.

If your like me, where you have to pay the extra £10 a month for sky+ use, or you are having to subscribe to a higher package to get the sky+ without the monthly charge, then it would probably be better/cheaper to cancel sky+, and use it just as a normal sky box. Then you can get a hdd recorder instead - I've also got a dvd/hdd recorder (currently just over £300) - it is useful as I can timeshift using the hdd, and if I want to keep the recording, I can edit it and dub it to a DVD-R disc.

However, if you subscribe to 2 or more premium channels, it is worth sticking with sky+ as you don't have to pay anything extra to use it. If after you have replaced it, you continue to experience problems, then you can still get an alternative hdd recorder to use instead for all your important recordings.

Hope that helps.

:)

3. DonMaico

DonMaico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks that does help Can you tell me the make and model of your dvd r3ecorder/hdd please?

4. MJ Invincible

MJ Invincible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I've got a Sharp DV-HR300H 80gb HDD/DVD recorder.

However, if I was buying one today, I would probably go for the Panasonic DMRE85 (approx £400) as it is better.

It really depends on what you will be recording on the HDD recorder. If you can receive freeview, and want to only record these channels, then maybe a freeview HDD recorder would be better.

If you want to record sky channels (and don't want to use sky+ due to expense/reliability), then a DVD/HDD recorder would be better. This has the added ability of being able to record to DVD-R discs for keeping recordings.

:)

5. DonMaico

DonMaico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The onlyhing that interests me on sky is tennis rugby and international football(and maybe the odd history prog) but unfortunatelyb Iant chery pick that much.
    Weird thing happened yesterday. I had a new sky box installed and connected to av1 ,which is rgb enabled ,and then tried my dvd player ,which is connected to av2 ( svideo enabled), and noticed the picture was in black and white- this was both in svideo and composite.I tried my vcr in av2 - no probs, then I tried my dvd in av1 and altered the setting to rgb - again no probs. I was confused ??? Then I plugged it back to av2 ,reset it to svideo and left the digibox unplugged and the colour returned????I am wondering whether there is some kind of crosstalk taking place within the telly between dvd and digibox signals which have affected a) recording and now b) the picture on my dvd. Maybe I should start a new thread to sere if others have had this problem :confused:

6. DonMaico

DonMaico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The onlyhing that interests me on sky is tennis rugby and international football(and maybe the odd history prog) but unfortunatelyb Iant chery pick that much.
    Weird thing happened yesterday. I had a new sky box installed and connected to av1 which is rgb enabled and then tried my dvd player which is connected to av2 which is svideo enabled and noticed the picture was in black and white- this was both in svideo and composite.I tried my vcr in av2 - no probs, then I tried my dvd in av1 and altered the setting to rgb - again no probs. I was confused ??? Then I plugged it back to av2 rest it to svideo and and left the digibox unplugged and the colour returned????I am wondering whetherv there is some kind of crosstalk taking place within the telly between dvd and digibox signals which have affected a) recording and nowb) the picture on my dvd. Maybe I should start a new thread to sere if others have had this problem

7. DonMaico

DonMaico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just thought maybe I should leave the digibox on standby when I use the dvd - leaving it on may be the reason for the probs.

8. bignairy

bignairy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    "Has anyone else experienced reliability problems with sky +?"

Yes, just about everyone!

9. DonMaico

DonMaico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The guy who came to replace my box left his chewed up piece of gum on the contract on my table. Just shows what they think of their customers :mad:

10. darrenf

darrenf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes about 4 weeks ago I lost all my recorded programmes and it's being going off every couple of days since to the point now that even after a rest it still won't record etc, it also stays in stanby for ages before coming on. I've had it for over 12 months so I can't decide what to do.

Darren

11. sparkz

sparkz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can safely say that I've never had so many problems with any piece of kit as my Sky+ box!

I've had mine for over 3 years now and had problems from day 1. Never offered a replacement. Frequently asked to do a complete reset (wiping everthing). The only thing worse than the reliability of the box is the useless customer service!

Having said that though. I'm not paying the extra £10 and on balance I prefer it to the old method of taping programs even if it does have the occasional hickup.

Mark

12. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39

yes me too, had SKY + installed about 4 weeks ago. Now getting problems with failed recordings , either they say failed in the planner or they say recorded but wont play back. I also have a noise coming from the box, so either the hdd or fan is faulty also. Going to ring SKY later this week to get a replacement .

13. DonMaico

DonMaico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sounds like the fan . Mine was making a noise as well . I think they tend overheat somewhat, hence fan, and if that doesnt work the disc will surely pack up as well, although I gather these can be replaced quite easily. Sky have got no real competition so they coulkdnt care less.Not sure if I am allowed to mention it but there is another website called satcure which gives hints .