Question Has Anyone Connected Music Server TO 8802A?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by canoosa, Aug 23, 2018.

1. canoosa

canoosa
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Greetings To All,
    My server includes a Lynx AES16e card on a SuperMicro X10SLH-F from which I currently have a single xlr breakout cable via d-sub connected to a dac, then out to speakers.
    I can have a 75ohm bnc breakout-cable-from-d-sub made, if required.

Skimming through the 8802A manual, I see that usb cannot be used to connect a PC, which begs my question: Has anyone connected a pc successfully to the 8802A and, if so, what is the proper/best means?

In the manual, there is an apparently related means delineated on page 70, where an "HDMI incompatible device" is connected via coax, although, strictly speaking, the instruction is premised on a device whose signal has already been converted via internal dac to analogue prior to using the coax input on the 8802A. That's NOT the same thing as a purely digital signal coming out of my server via the Lynx AES16e.

There's probably a simple answer to this, so I'll apologize beforehand for any perceived denseness :)

Regards!

2. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    I used a Zen music server connected using the Ethernet and I use the Marantz ap for picking the albums for playback.
    It is a real pity the Marantz does not have a direct Async USB input for music.

3. canoosa

canoosa
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your input!
    In the meanwhile, I'd discovered the "Ethernet" connection also. Further, it turns out that I labored under a miscomprehension relative to the Digital Input on the 8802A, i.e. the Coax/Toslink inputs, these actually being pure digital.
    That, of course, is moot, given the lack of such connection from the mobo.
    May I ask you another question?

Based on the assumption that the albums you chose to play were 2Ch upmixed to Mch (5 or 7 ch) using one of the expander options like the Neural:X, do you find the quality of this sound reproduction a pleasing experience, pleasing in the sense that you would repeat this sufficiently often because it is appealing?
    Most likely you would have experienced a noticeable, slight? reduction from their usual 2ch-quality, I'm guessing, but that the expansion provides its own benefits. Is this mch-quality sufficiently sophisticated to prompt actual listening (as opposed to a mere background sound while you might be doing something else)? Or is it merely enjoyable as an interesting novelty?

Cheers

4. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    I am a purist so do not use multichannel music playback at all. I have it switched to 2 channel source direct which bypasses as much of the processing as possible.

5. canoosa

canoosa
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hear you, thanks!

6. Shimrod

Shimrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    I'm not a purist, and I listen to multi-channel music - both material that has been recorded that way and through the use of an upmixer. I have the AV7702Mk2 and have found Neural:X can create a more immersive experience when listening to music. It doesn't work on everything - some albums can sound awful, but you will have to experiment for yourself. On occasion you can hear parts of an track that you don't hear in stereo as the instruments or vocals have been separated out.

I prefer Neural:x to dolby surround upmixing, but give both a try.

7. canoosa

canoosa
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank You Shimrod for the lucid breakdown of your experience, I appreciate the thoughtfulness!

Regards