Has anyone compared Sony WX5 to Nikon P300 ?

meltonboy

I have been guided to these 2 cameras from discussions with a couple of camera shops.

I am looking for good IQ (in normal and low light), quick shutter speed (in auto mode) and a comparativley good video (ie compared to other compacts or flip).

Not fussed about zoom.

One of the advisors said that the AVCHD format worked very well for compacts and was better than the other format (mp4?) used my other compacts (like the panny lumix) and the flip video. I mention the flip as i was going to buy one until my normal digital compact broke last week.

I also looked at the Olympus 320, which appeared to be slower.

Prices seem to be within 30 quid, so happy to go with either.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks

MB

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
Sounds odd advice as it's Panasonic that have been pushing AVCHD pretty hard, more than any of the other camera companies.

John

meltonboy

Sounds odd advice as it's Panasonic that have been pushing AVCHD pretty hard, more than any of the other camera companies.

John
Actually the TZ does have AVCHD now i recall, the other lumix units i looked at didnt. The advisor rated the still IQ better on the sony than that lumix.

IS AVCHD any good though ? one advisor raved about it, the other one was relaxed...

MB

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
It's not a straightforward answer unfortunately as it has its strengths and weaknesses against other codecs. The primary advantage of AVCHD is that it needs less storage space which is useful due to the high requirements of HD video. This means not only does AVCHD video take up less space while maintaining the same quality but it usually has no time limits, frequently non-AVCHD video can only last around ten minutes.

The downside to AVCHD is that it's a more difficult format to work with that's not as well supported as other video codecs although it's getting better. This means it can be more difficult to get it playing on your PC or into video editing software. Panasonic set AVCHD as the default for video on their supported cameras and it's a relatively frequent question on how to change it to mjpeg as they don't like the lack of compatibility.

AVCHD vs M-JPEG (or other formats) can vary depending on the camera, some manufacturers top for a high quality non-AVCHD solution at the cost of space and tighter timing limits whereas others go for a lower quality implementation to save storage space.

Unfortunately I've not read any reviews on the Nikon P300, its specs on paper are impressive particularly the bright lens which can make for a decent improvement in poor light. The 'f' number of a lens refers to how much light it can let in, the lower the number, the more light the lens lets in and in turn means you can get a higher shutter speed. Specs don't tell the full story though, one camera I've not seen mentioned is Canon as they have a strong range of compacts with decent image quality.

John

meltonboy

The downside to AVCHD is that it's a more difficult format to work with that's not as well supported as other video codecs although it's getting better. This means it can be more difficult to get it playing on your PC or into video editing software. Panasonic set AVCHD as the default for video on their supported cameras and it's a relatively frequent question on how to change it to mjpeg as they don't like the lack of compatibility.
I won't be doing much editing, if any. Most of my video clips will be 5 mins of the juniors running around and falling over. I note that my BR deck (denon 2010) is compatible with the format, so i assume i can burn files to cd and play them on that in HD. And i also assume that there will be software with the camera that allows me to play it on the laptop.

From the sounds of it, the format could work nicely for me, albeit it should not be the main element in the overall camera decision.

MB

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom