Has anyone changed their travel arrangements because of Coronavirus?

Have your 2020 holiday plans changed because of the Coronavirus?

• Yes, I decided not to book

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Yes, my booked holiday has been cancelled

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • Yes, I am/was abroad and the holiday will be/was cut short

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I'm going to holiday somewhere else

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • No, I intend to book a 2020 holiday to my chosen destination anyway if I can

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • No, I want to go on my booked holiday if I can

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • No, but I'm hoping my booked holiday gets cancelled

Votes: 8 10.0%
  • No, I am/was abroad and am sticking/stuck to the plan

Votes: 3 3.8%

• Total voters
We have to make the full payment on the Cornish cottage we're renting for the summer in May and I'm beginning to think going through with that may be doubtful.

Even though Emirates have pulled the plug on flights (save for 'repatriation' purposes on a few select routes), they are only offering a refund under the same terms as if I had cancelled for whatever reason, which means £0 on two legs of the journey for me and SWMBO and only a nominal sum on the other two. Otherwise I can get a voucher for the full value to be used within 12 months from the date of issue (not date of last flight), which in effect wouldn't allow us to travel in April next year which is unacceptable in my book.

So I've asked Barclaycard whether the non-delivery of a contracted service would be eligible for their purchase protection scheme. Watch this space.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though Emirates have pulled the plug on flights (save for 'repatriation' purposes on a few select routes), they are only offering a refund under the same terms as if I had cancelled for whatever reason, which means £0 on two legs of the journey for me and SWMBO and only a nominal sum on the other two. Otherwise I can get a voucher for the full value to be used within 12 months form the date of issue (not date of last flight), which in effect wouldn't allow us to travel in April next year which is unacceptable in my book.

So I've asked Barclaycard whether the non-delivery of a contracted service would be eligible for their purchase protection scheme. Watch this space.

<subscribed>

Even though Emirates have pulled the plug on flights (save for 'repatriation' purposes on a few select routes), they are only offering a refund under the same terms as if I had cancelled for whatever reason, which means £0 on two legs of the journey for me and SWMBO and only a nominal sum on the other two. Otherwise I can get a voucher for the full value to be used within 12 months from the date of issue (not date of last flight), which in effect wouldn't allow us to travel in April next year which is unacceptable in my book.

Same here with Emirates Holidays, voucher to be used. I’m claiming with my travel insurance as it should be covered. Have emailed Emirates saying I don’t want the voucher.

Hope you all get your money back.

Another company behaving poorly considering the circumstances.

Same here with Emirates Holidays, voucher to be used. I’m claiming with my travel insurance as it should be covered. Have emailed Emirates saying I don’t want the voucher.

I took out insurance with HolidayExtra and was not covered. So I cancelled the insurance within 14 days. Have to rely on Emirates good will / Barclaycard.

We have to make the full payment on the Cornish cottage we're renting for the summer in May and I'm beginning to think going through with that may be doubtful.
We're in the same situation - rented a holiday house in the centre of York for a week in May and paid the balance of the booking 3 weeks ago.

The chances are this lockdown will tighten up and travel will be seriously curtailed for the near future.

Decided to wait until later next week then ring up and see if we can transfer the booking to sometime in October/November.

I wasn't very clear there, the final payment is due in May, the holiday is in July. So we will need to make the decision in May, when I doubt much will have changed.

I'm thinking going on holiday but unsure where yet, here's a list. Thoughts?
IMG-20200325-WA0000.jpg

This weeks holiday i cancelled and lost my money I should have waited😣, Mays holiday I'll wait for them to cancel,but on the bright side my Glastonbury Ticket is rolled over to next year😁😁😁

We’ve had an email saying the date for the balance of our holiday to be paid has been extended to 6 weeks before we go, instead of 12. So that’s mid-June as we’re due to go at the end of July.

If we pay and the holiday is cancelled, they’ve offered either a full refund or a 120% value to rebook for next year. Well established company so I don’t think there would be an issue there, I’m just going to wait and see what happens.

Emirates have changed their tune a bit.

You can get a voucher for the full value valid for 12 months from the date of issue, and then once the 12 months is up, you can either extend for another 12 months or get a full refund at that time. Better than nowt which I was looking at.

I stopped flying with Emirates this year having previously taken around 20 flights with them over the past 5 yeas. Their service is crap Dubai airport is a sink whole and considering how they first started they're losing customers at an alarming rate.

Emirates have changed their tune a bit.

You can get a voucher for the full value valid for 12 months from the date of issue, and then once the 12 months is up, you can either extend for another 12 months or get a full refund at that time. Better than nowt which I was looking at.

Was that by email or phonecall? I presume that’s just the airline and not Emirates Holidays.

Just had a confirmation that Emirates are processing full refunds after all. After the above example, their site changed stating vouchers only. Then swapped back again. And now they are going to issue a full refund without waiting for the 12 months. Well done Emirates!

Just had a confirmation that Emirates are processing full refunds after all. After the above example, their site changed stating vouchers only. Then swapped back again. And now they are going to issue a full refund without waiting for the 12 months. Well done Emirates!

Good news :smashin:

I did contact Emirates holidays quoting the legal requirement for 14 day refund but they said things are taking longer due to demand so will need to wait. Hopefully won’t be much more than the 4 weeks stated though. Couldn’t be bothered to argue really as there’s bigger problem going on atm.

Ryanair issuing a refund. Waiting on jet2.

Got a full refund amount back into my Barclaycard. :clap:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom