Has anyone changed their travel arrangements because of Coronavirus?

Have your 2020 holiday plans changed because of the Coronavirus?

• Yes, I decided not to book

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • Yes, my booked holiday has been cancelled

Votes: 28 35.9%
  • Yes, I am/was abroad and the holiday will be/was cut short

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I'm going to holiday somewhere else

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • No, I intend to book a 2020 holiday to my chosen destination anyway if I can

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • No, I want to go on my booked holiday if I can

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • No, but I'm hoping my booked holiday gets cancelled

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • No, I am/was abroad and am sticking/stuck to the plan

Votes: 3 3.8%

• Total voters

password1

Anyone worried enough to change their holiday plans?
Or do you think it's fine to go on holiday to places where there hasn't been a larger outbreak?
in some countries without a large outbreak one of the main reasons why they dont have so many people infected is because they're not letting pey in anyway.

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
in some countries without a large outbreak one of the main reasons why they dont have so many people infected is because they're not letting pey in anyway.
We in New Zealand are such a country. Most cases were imported and we are now down to about 80 active cases and regularly posting days with 0 new cases. They went incredibly tough on it and shut everything down completely screwing the economy, but the government has been very open saying we aren't opening the borders anytime soon, we gave up too much to just let this thing come back in and force us to give up even more. They rely on tourism as a big part of the economy but compared to another forced lockdown meaning even less money in the economy, not having that money is a compromise they are having to make.

TheHighFlyingBirds

We're getting close to final payment date for our summer holiday. Think we are just going to write off the deposit and cancel.

If the holiday was to go ahead not sure we really want to go and risk catching it abroad, so would lose everything. If its cancelled, it could be tough getting a refund and do not want a credit note (especially after doubt of protection with regards to insurance). We dont seem to have the option to move it for free yet unless we pay more (either through fees or the holiday being more expensive next year, plus when looking at the same place and dates next year it says no places available, but if you do a fresh search with same parameters it shows as a available for over a grand more.

So, we are just writing off our deposit :( and keeping the rest of the money in our bank account, where it is ours and we dont have to worry about losing it. Yes, its a bummer writing of a grand but, too risky potentially losing it all.

mr starface

Got our voucher from Tui with 20% discount but we just want our money back, of course there is no easy way of doing this and you have to call them. Called them yesterday and was on hold on and off (between disconnections) from 10am - 7pm and no sod answered.

Its scandalous they can sit on our money and reap the interest, there should be something in place to refund people. As it is will have to waste hours of time trying to get through and then will probably have to argue to get our money back!

rustybin

Distinguished Member
Given that there is a reasonable chance prices are going to increase significantly, a voucher will hardly be like for like next summer.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
We were on the verge of booking up a holiday in Mauritius at the same hotel we got married in 2K . That changed obviously but we still have a holiday cottage booked up in the Cotswolds end of August . Hopefully we will be able to go .

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
Now NZ is out of all our restrictions we've booked a week in a camper with a $1 deposit. To encourage tourism by kiwis they are pushing it hard with the attitude of when will you ever see new Zealand without foreigners angle. It's not going to bring in anywhere near as much money but companies know kiwis won't pay the big money to do this stuff that overseas tourists will, so prices have been slashed and it is working. Half a dozen colleagues have all booked cheap camper van weeks away to see their own country with their families. We couldn't turn down a weeks campervan rental with the insurance for about £200, deals like that just won't happen again once the tourism market is allowed back in, especially with the pr Jacinda has got them in all of this.

Harkon321

Anyone want to speculate on how long the quarantine arrangements might say in place?

We are booked to fly to Spain 19th August. If we had to quarantine for two weeks we couldn't go, but this doesn't look like it would be grounds for a cancellation so we would just lose the holiday.

Today is last day to cancel and only lose deposit. After that it goes up to 30% of the holiday.

jouster

well, my hand got forced.....with the FCO saying Spain is a no go and us due to go on Monday, we finally decided to bite the bullet and cancel the flights last night....after being on hold with Easyjet for 56 minutes...we finally got through...asked about a refund, and was given one...without any qualms (was sure they were going to say the voucher was the only option)...

The funniest bit was...refund will be with you in 14 days...but if it's not, give it another 7 days.........ah so you mean it WILL be 21 days then

Now just car rental and car park at the airport to sort out....but they might be a lost cause unless i go via credit card insurance...we will see

keithwiggins

Good luck claiming on the the CC, we booked all our Universal/Discovery code tickets on a CC. £2.5K we booked to go out 3 rd of May. Since travel company Florida escapes wont give you your money back ( bunch of rude bastards , avoid) I started a claim on my CC. Filled in a form online as when you try to speak with them thats what they insist that you do.
This then tells you they will revert within 45 working days. After 39 working days, they ask for more info, duly supplied, they then tell you they will revert in 35 working days, and so on.
May get something back eventually, hopefully.

Jamie

Distinguished Member

Donnacha

Distinguished Member
We’re in Italy at the moment - spent 4 days in Rome so far and impressed with the discipline the Italians are showing around face masks, distancing and temperature checks. It’s very quiet at all the major tourist sights, which has been brilliant !

On our way to Napoli / Sorrento on the train today

jouster

We’re in Italy at the moment - spent 4 days in Rome so far and impressed with the discipline the Italians are showing around face masks, distancing and temperature checks. It’s very quiet at all the major tourist sights, which has been brilliant !

to be honest, where my folks live in Spain (near Torrevieja) they've all been great...from the news its the youngsters in the bigger cities that have gone a little crazy

leedebs

Really envious, love Italy, did the same trip for our 25th wedding anniversary, Rome then Sorrento, Pompeii & the Amalfi coast was amazing. Apologies if this appears a bit rude but do you have to wear masks outside & is it spoiling the experience for you at all?

Donnacha

Distinguished Member
Really envious, love Italy, did the same trip for our 25th wedding anniversary, Rome then Sorrento, Pompeii & the Amalfi coast was amazing. Apologies if this appears a bit rude but do you have to wear masks outside & is it spoiling the experience for you at all?
Hi - not rude at all. We have worn masks when in close proximity with larger groups of people, so when in line for the Vatican Museum, Colosseum, St Peters etc. We also put them on when entering a gelateria, cafe, shop etc. Once sat at your table you can take them off. Everywhere has hand sanitizer with signs asking you to put on masks and sanitizer before entering. We’ve had our temperature checked on multiple occasions and a lot of the piazzas and squares have military police on hand to stop large gatherings. Everyone seems to be bought into it !

Last edited:

leedebs

Hi - not rude at all. We have work masks when in close proximity with larger groups of people, so when in line for the Vatican Museum, Colosseum, St Peters etc. We also put them on when entering a gelateria, cafe, shop etc. Once sat at your table you can take them off. Everywhere has hand sanitizer with signs asking you to put on masks and sanitizer before entering. We’ve had our temperature checked on multiple occasions and a lot of the piazzas and squares have military police on hand to stop large gatherings. Everyone seems to be bought into it !
Thanks so not spoiling the experience for you?

Parallax982

I envy you too. It's been years since I've been to Italy. Of course, given that I'm in the U.S., won't be traveling anywhere for a while. This failed nation state can't get it together enough that any sane country would let us in. And it's not safe to get on an airplane right now. Fortunately we live in a beautiful spot in the woods of the Pacific Northwest, just a stone's throw from Canada. Of course we can't go there either. Can just hear the Canadians chanting "build the wall, build the wall!". The Mexicans too.

Downinja

Booked the Mrs a surprise holiday to Spain.... and have now swapped it to Greece!

Bit of a faff and a bit more expensive but will be nice to get away.

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
I envy you too. It's been years since I've been to Italy. Of course, given that I'm in the U.S., won't be traveling anywhere for a while. This failed nation state can't get it together enough that any sane country would let us in. And it's not safe to get on an airplane right now. Fortunately we live in a beautiful spot in the woods of the Pacific Northwest, just a stone's throw from Canada. Of course we can't go there either. Can just hear the Canadians chanting "build the wall, build the wall!". The Mexicans too.
We have the opposite problem, we are welcome with open arms in most places as new Zealand is covid free, however if we leave we aren't welcome back in to new Zealand despite living here for almost 4 years as we haven't got permanent residency or a new Zealand passport. There's lots of work visa holders that were overseas when the border closed with little warning the border was closing to get back who have been stuck away from their homes and families since march. They have jobs to return but are being forced to take unpaid leave if their job is still their at all and then pay rent in their home and somewhere to stay wherever they are. They aren't even allowed back if they pay for their own quarantine to reclaim their possessions to leave.

Parallax982

We have the opposite problem, we are welcome with open arms in most places as new Zealand is covid free, however if we leave we aren't welcome back in to new Zealand despite living here for almost 4 years as we haven't got permanent residency or a new Zealand passport. There's lots of work visa holders that were overseas when the border closed with little warning the border was closing to get back who have been stuck away from their homes and families since march. They have jobs to return but are being forced to take unpaid leave if their job is still their at all and then pay rent in their home and somewhere to stay wherever they are. They aren't even allowed back if they pay for their own quarantine to reclaim their possessions to leave.
Sounds really challenging. Makes sense though. New Zealand has done an amazing job of making that big island safe. One case can screw the whole thing up. So I don't think they're being extreme. I guess they could let you quarantine the same as a citizen. But I can understand the quarantine requirement.

Here, there's no way for states to make themselves safe. The federal government isn't taking it seriously. Repbulican-led states aren't taking it seriously. One state can't close its borders to another. That's been the Supreme Court's understanding for centuries under the commerce clause of our constitution. A few northeast states are trying to enforce a quarantine on visitors but good luck with that. We are hosed.

I hope President Biden can make things better. It's going to be hard with Republicans constantly obstructing and trying to gum up the works. It's no wonder we're becoming a failed state.

iangreasby

So does that mean even New Zealanders with passports can't leave the country and come back in?

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
So does that mean even New Zealanders with passports can't leave the country and come back in?
Passport holders and permanent residents can, anyone with a visa that has to ask permission to enter (so residency or lower) will have that entry permission denied. Asking permission is usually just a slip of paper you hand in to immigration when you land. They however do still need to quarantine upon their return for 2 weeks in a government facility.

Absolutely think quarantine is needed and they are struggling to reach demand, lots of kiwis are returning home at the moment. It's just horrible reading stories of people being kept apart for months on end when they have offered to foot the bill for their return to their life. Frustrating that those with the right passport who don't even want to be here but ran out of options overseas and can come back to absolutely nothing but people very established can't get back to their families. In an ideal world there'd be some reciprocal agreements where a kiwi in the UK could stay in their life and a UK citizen here stay in theirs instead of both travelling around the world spreading the virus and having to quarantine just to claim government benefits in a country they don't want to be in. Alas we don't live in an ideal world that works like that.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Well after all that our annual summer road trip around France is largely unaffected other than needing to wear masks in a few places and everything being generally quieter than usual.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q950T Soundbar Review, Filmmaker Mode, Disney+ $30 for Mulan, AV news and more

Latest News

THX Spatial Audio app brings 360 degree sound to any headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Xbox Series X November launch confirmed
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Xiaomi OLED is world’s first mass produced transparent TV
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Tron 3 lands star and director for Disney
  • By Andy Bassett