1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

has anyone bought the new reservoir dogs box set?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Jesus H, Nov 27, 2000.

1. Jesus H

Jesus H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its region 2 and costs about £25, whats it got in it?

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Forget the boxed set, as it's total pants! All it contains, are about 6 postcard pictures, the DVD that is exactly the same as the version available separaely on R2 DVD, and a god-awful biography about Tarantino, which was slated in every book review I read on it!

Also, get the R1 version, as it's got a proper Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround mix, and not the crappy Stereo 2.0 mix on the R2 version, which sounds okay, but not as good as it should do, especially with that "killer" (pardon the pun) soundtrack!

Yet again, R2 DVD owners get fudge*d over by shoddy UK companies who don't give a sh*te about their treatment of great and classic films!

Why do they bother at all?!

Pooch

3. Kevin Gilmour

Kevin Gilmour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pooch

A 5.1 sound track would have been nice but for me the picture quality is the real star. Blows away the Region 1 version.

There again, I also enjoyed the QT interview so what do I know.

Kev

4. desade

desade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Again with the sound.
    Reservoir Dogs sounds BETTER in stereo.
    Maybe I'm too old, but I don't need rear sound to enjoy a film any more. The novelty wore off ages ago...

5. Jay2000

Jay2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree with desade on this one, I've not yet got a full 5.1 setup and although I agree it sounds impressive I'm not about to rush out and equip myself with it.

Always makes me laugh when I read about people who've bought film 'x' because it sounds great on system 'y' even though they dont actually like the film. Baaarmy.

6. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +630
    Jay

I have been saying that since I joined this site as a member. Buying things you don't actually like is baffling.

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know which is the best version of "dogs" to buy...

i.e. is there any directors cut with missing footage?

Also... same question for Pulp Fiction and Scareface?

Cheers..

8. Jesus H

Jesus H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pulp fiction:canadian Se has extra fotage, i think the aussie version is of similar quality, but canadian version is pan&scan i think unfortunately, i haven't received mine yet.

Scareface?, al wasn't that bad, i dont know which region is best.

9. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The R4 version of Pulp fiction is the only one with an anamorphic transfer. Even the R1 is non-anomorphic. The Canadian (but not USA) R1 has some deleted scenes though. Take your choice...

------------------
    Don't think you can, Know you can.

10. Watto

Watto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The R4 (Australian) version has the deleted scenes as well. Its basically the Canadian version (which was basically the laserdisc version in terms of extras) with an anamorphic picture.

However, Criterion are supposed to be reworking Pulp Fiction for special edition release next year. Could well be worth the wait....

11. Jesus H

Jesus H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    damn you to hell, i just ordered, well last month, it aint arrived yet! the canadian SE of PUlp Fiction, and I also saw the Criterion Laserdisc box set going on ebay today for aboot £15, but i'm not bitter, not at all.

i'm just going to cry.

12. bradavon

bradavon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  13. Jesus H

Jesus H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is there any region has the best of both worlds, not the german one! as i'd like to have the option of which way to listen to it, and the animorphic picture as without it i miht as well buy the laserdisc.

------------------
    'This one's got a bad mmooooooooooooooooootivaaaaaaator (in a very camp voice)'

member formerly known as hank hill

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Desade, the point of 5.1 is to add to the effect of the movie and pull you into the film.If its done right,like the first 20 mins of saving p.r.(dts version)then your hands should be sweaty and your pulse racing.

Just my opinion of course,how old are you anyway you sound like my dad and he is a right boring git!