1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone bought a Toshiba 26WL46 from Powerhouse?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by daveb975, Nov 10, 2004.

1. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +249
    I am now on my third 26WL46 from Powerhouse.

The first was damaged in transit, the second had a dead pixel, and this one has three dead pixels.

Has anyone else had dead pixel problems with this set?

I am beginning to wonder is Powerhouse have got a faulty batch. They are happy to swap it out again, but I don't know if the replacement will be any better.

2. Timber

Timber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope mine was fine. Not sure if it helps but I called the number on their web page and they were able to tell me how much stock each of the 4 stores within my area had - it saved a wasted journey and gauranteed that I'd get an unopened box.

As an aside have you experienced an initial poor picture quality that seemed to last for about 20 hours but gradually got better? I have read comments about it on this model on this board and think I experienced it my self - but do not now trust my memory! It was hard to describe, sort of blocky graphics with what looked like a swirling 'larva flow' in some spots. If it is real what could be the technical reason? Anyway, my PQ is great now, I'm very happy with the set and looking forward to another live rugby union marathon this weekend.

3. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +249
    Both of mine have been unopened boxes, I must have just been unlucky (or looking too closely!)

The dead pixels on the current set are green (2), and blue (1). These are nowhere near as bad as the red one that I had on the last one. I may not have even noticed them if I hadn't been looking for them.

Not too sure on the PQ improvement. Running Freeview, this set does not seem quite as good as the last one, which I used for about 5 hours. This may be my imagination, or may be that the other did improve.

I am going to run this one for a few hours to see if the pixels 'unstick'. so I will let you know on PQ.

4. fordster

fordster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I got one from Powerhouse and it's fine. I've not noticed any dead pixels (but then I've not gone looking for them yet!). When I bought mine they had them in stock so I took it home with me there and then (in the back of my MINI - could never have done that with a CRT)!
    Never had a problem with initial poor PQ, the only thing I did was leave it to "settle" for about 30 minutes before switching it on.

5. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +249
    Just got the 4th set today.

There is one pixel stuck on green this time!

However, this is only visible on a plain black screen when standing within 18" of the screen, so I think I will live with this one.

I think that I have begun examining these too closely, I never would have noticed that on the first one I got.

Provided no more 'develop' in the next couple of days, I will keep this one. I don't want the risk of changing it for a worse one when this problem is so minor.

6. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +249
    Just thought I would follow this up, by saying how impressed I have been with Powerhouse's customer service when dealing with this problem.

They offered 3 proposals:

1. Keep trying new sets until I find one I am happy with.

2. A full refund.

3. A £100 discount to keep the current TV.

I opted for the discount, because I have now had the TV wall mounted, and can't see the green pixel unless I am very close to the screen. If I want to start using it as a computer monitor in the future, I may regret this decision, otherwise it will be fine.

I realise that this is the sort of service that I should expect when buying a faulty product, but a lot of retailers are not as good as this when sorting out problems.

7. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,007
    Im looking at getting one of these,does anyone run an ariel in to theres,looking at running sky+ from down stairs into the bedroom.

8. fordster

fordster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I use the built in analogue TV and the pictures pretty good as long as the signal quality is okay.